Print Thread
Hop To
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
A fishing pard pointed out a good spot and I’ve been trying it out. It’s on the main river in our drainage, one of the bigger in Michigan, and the one that the other rivers I’ve been fishing dump into.

It’s a shallow point that sticks out into the water creating a narrow “slot” of deep water up against the opposite bank.

I’ve been thinking about a MH baitcaster rig for big topwaters & pike lures but I had a big 3500 sized spinning reel so I got an inexpensive 7’ MH. I was a little hesitant to use it for anything but the biggest fish because I like the feel of em fighting on lighter tackle… been running a 6’6” fast action medium light rod for 75% of my fishing this year, and a 5’6” fast action light rod for almost everything else.

We worked the edges around the shallow water on our side and caught nothing but kept losing our worms and leeches to small fish. As light waned I switched to the MH set up and a 130 whopper plopper, which with that MH set up I was able to cast into the faster deeper water on the other side of the river.

On my first cast something huge took the lure. The water is fast and the fight went on a while; even with that 7’ MH rod it took some work to get him in. It was a personal best smallie that weighed over 4 lbs and was a solid 18” long:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I was super excited by this fish. First fish on a new rod/reel, first on a new lure size (I’ve done well on the 90), and first good one in this spot, and of course a fantastic fight and personal best!

After letting him go I cast back out and caught another good one, but not quite as good:

He also knew how to use the strong current and there was one point when I wondered if I ought to have changed out my leader after that monster.

I cast again with nothing, and a 4th time got me another nice smallie, again smaller than the one previous but still fun:

The summer doldrums have been hitting us hot and heavy with a lot more effort necessary to catch fish. I’ve been working hard to expand my repertoire to be more versatile and be able to catch fish under different conditions and I’ve learned a ton.

By far best year of fishing I’ve had since childhood. My wife even commented something like “wow honey you’ve been catching tons this year!”

Thanks for reading I hope you all have a great holiday weekend!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice! I love fishing rivers.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Smallies are beautiful fish and a 4 lb'er is a big one anywhere.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Beauty! It’s hard to find better than a big smallie fought in current. Congrats!

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Love the pictures. SM are my favorite of all fish.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very nice smallie!👍👍

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats on a really good Smallmouth and having a place like that to fish. Thanks for posting

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like good times there.

1Minute
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
ALRIGHT!!!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
D
D
Sweet. Thanks for sharing.

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Nice smallie! My brother in St. Clair Shores has been catching a lot of really nice smallies this year out on Lake StClair. Lots of action out there.

E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by GAGoober
Nice smallie! My brother in St. Clair Shores has been catching a lot of really nice smallies this year out on Lake StClair. Lots of action out there.

Thanks!

Lake St Claire is a smallie mecca; I really need to get over there and try it I’m always amazed at the stories.

S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Nice river fish, ours seem to top out at 15" unless your on the Mississippi.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Schmidtx2

Here there is a 30 mile stretch of the Mississippi going northwest from Minneapolis that has had size restrictions for smallies for many years. It’s certainly working. 15-18” are common and many over 20” get caught and released. Love smallie fishing.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Schmidtx2

Yeah that’s similar to how it is around here. Anything over 16” is a TOAD. I’ve caught quite a few 15 & 16”ers this summer, one that I’d estimate was 17-ish, and this one. I kinda think this is, as you point out, the upper end of river fish. They expend too many calories just fighting the current.

Of course they fight like mad… can’t complain but the number of times I’ve hooked a 14”ER and said, aw yeah this one is HUGE…” so fun to catch, in beautiful settings to fish…

My son in law & I are doing a backcountry canoe trip next year in a wilderness area that is a chain of lakes with c & r restrictions on smallies and I’ve talked to guys who’ve caught multiple 20” fish in a day there… we’re spending a week…

My arm is sore just thinking about it 😍

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Nice smallmouth. I grew up with the Shenandoah river in my backyard in Virginia. I remember going after school and catching 75 smallies before dark. Been fishing that river for 40 years and i have one 4 pound smallmouth it was 22"

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
That’s awesome! Beautiful fish. Thanks for sharing!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great fish!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

491 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 42 invisible), 1,784 guests, and 1,034 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,179
Posts18,465,614
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.