Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
This goes in my deer hunting pack. Shooting sub-sonic HP's, it kills squirrels messing with me while in the stand and raccoons that walk by. Sometimes I have to shoot a coon more than once, if not head shot, But it does kill them, just not real far. Doesn't seem to bother deer. I've had them come into a food plot right after shooting this thing. I guess if they were close, it may spook them, have never seen it happen.

BTW, I re-worked the trigger using Volquartsen and Clark parts. It's about as good as I've seen; I was lucky. Cheap red dot sight, but it works pretty well, holds zero. sorta bulky, but is OK for now.

While pretty cool, and certainly an option in a deer stand, I can't fathom hauling that thing up an elk mountain.

And no, I don't carry a sidearm when elk hunting here in Montana - when I'm elk hunting, that's what I'm doing. Nothing else.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, wouldn’t want to lug all that up and down hills. Works OK headed to a stand.

DF

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I've killed a couple of grouse with a rock while elk hunting, the extent of my small game hunting while chasing elk.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I always take a good pellet gun and have used it for grouse, squirrels and rabbits in CO while elk hunting.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep , mountain chickens "grouse" with blunt tipped arrow or thrown rock. Always brought some foil and seasoning to cook in the coals.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While out scouting before the season, I occasionally kill a grouse or two for dinner, but once the season is open, I don't want to mess with them while elk hunting.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Another thing that I come to understand as I got older is that I didn't need to kill everything I came across while I hunted elk.

Early years, the grouse I shot were too darn tough unless you happen to run across a young bird. Pine squirrels tasted like pine cones and ,were tougher than the grouse, and too hard to skim. Usually the rabbits were snowshoes and the ranked right up there with eating jack rabbits.

I think I only bought two bear tags in my whole life. If I had deer tag in my pocket I didn't hunt them until I had an elk hanging. I enjoyed catching a few brook trout and frying them up while I waited for others to fill their tags/

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The grouse in CO are dumber than dumb. They will sit on a tree branch 7 yards in front of you thinking they are invisible. They taste delicious. Just don’t over cook them. Bacon is a good match with them on the grill. To your question, I’m still searching for the perfect grouse gun for elk season. Tried all sorts of .22s. I prefer revolvers as they can shoot shorts and CB rounds with almost pellet gun quietness. Thought the NAA little revolver would be great but the sights are crude and the POA/POI was 6” off at 9 yards. Still managed to kill a few. Picked up a SW 317 thinking it would be the Holy Grail. It’s 11oz or so, holds 8 shots and has adjustable sights. The pros: it’s ultra light weight. Cons: everything else. I’ve tried just about every .22 ammo out there including Olympic match Eley. Best 8 shot group at 10 yards is about 2.5”. Most are 3-3.5”. Front sight is horrible. No idea on a currently manufactured better option under 16oz.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Grouse vs. Rock or stick if handy= dinner. Foolish to pass up free meal.

Its called elk 'hunting' for a reason... Sometimes little distractions are good.....and tasty.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I carry enough weight, a pistol is not in the daily gear, while elk hunting. On another note, the black squirrel he observed might be a whiskey jack.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Grouse season, “around here” is waaaay to long to fuuck up a elk hunt. 👊🏻

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No extraneous rounds as I don't want to risk spooking that yet unseen elk.

1Minute
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Whether or not you want to smoke small game or a grouse this is still entertaining.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
We archery hunt elk and all of us have one arrow with a judo point in our quiver . It only takes about 15 minutes to catch several trout from a stream where we set up camp. Grilled trout and grouse go together pretty well

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by elkmen1
Never, I believe that "any" or unusual disturbance can move your target animal, and they may not come back into that area for a day or so. I did shoot a wolf in Wyoming a few years ago, thought it was worth the chance.

x2,

I love ruffed grouse, it is my favourite of all wild game meat. When I am hunting big game I like being as silent and invisible as possible. Lots of expense goes into hunting elk or moose, they live in their environment 24/7 365 days a year and I believe can recognise the slightest variance in their area, which makes them skittish.

Every time I see a Ruffie, I say to them "You are one very lucky bird today" lol

Cheers ~

Last edited by KillerBee; 09/24/22.

KB

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
They are tasty are tasty and wonderful birds. This one was up on a ridgeline.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I am not afraid.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice job Judging the grouse.😀

We killed them with rocks and sticks when I was younger. When I used to archery hunt I carried a judo to shoot them with. They made a welcome meal addition a few times. I try to have my own decent food now without shooting birds.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I don’t know that I ever didn’t get an elk because I shot a grouse, but I do know I won’t get a grouse if I don’t shoot it…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Never spooked an elk while hunting grouse, have shot grouse and had elk bugling right near us.
Judos points with the bow or we have a 22 in the truck for road hunting birds.
Elk hear all kinds of noises during Fall, rifle shots only spook the very close elk, they don't spook out of an area due to small caliber shots. At least in my experience.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 12344mag, 16penny, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,622 guests, and 1,129 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,306
Posts18,468,155
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.