Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
https://www.thevintagenews.com/2019...X25P9v1vTy9lbW8SiBLJw8DrGo&firefox=1

A Montana man’s DNA has been traced back 55 generations with 99 percent accuracy, according to the ancestry company, CRI Genetics, that tested him. This means that the man’s ancestors were in North America 17,000 years ago.

Darrell “Dusty” Crawford, who is Native American, has said he was taught in school that his ancestors, the Blackfeet Native Americans, used the Bering Land Bridge during the Ice Age to reach the Americas. However, his DNA testing contained another surprise: It seems that Crawford’s ancestors are from the Pacific Islands. From there they presumably traveled along the coast of South America into what is now North America, data suggests.

The length of Crawford’s lineage is so rare that the company told Crawford’s family that this kind of success was “like finding Big Foot.” The DNA test focused on mitachondrial DNA and Crawford’s line of female ancestors.

The company has never been able to trace anyone’s ancestry in the Americas as far back as Crawford, according to Great Falls Tribune. Crawford is part of MtDNA Haplogroup B2, which has a low frequency in Alaska and Canada and originated in Arizona about 17,000 years ago. To find out more about this fascinating science and how it could possibly relate to you personally please visit their site here.

This group is one of four major Native American groups found in North America. These groups are traced back to four female ancestors: Ai, Ina, Chie, and Sachi. Crawford is a descendant of Ina. Ina’s name comes from a Polynesian mythological figure, considered a representative of the “first woman.” She’s riding a shark on a $20 bill in the Cook Islands. The DNA group’s closest relatives outside the Americas are in Southeast Asia.
Blackfoot Native American reservation

Tribal territory of Blackfoot

“Its path from the Americas is somewhat of a mystery as there are no frequencies of the haplogroup in either Alaska or Canada. Today this Native American line is found only in the Americas, with a strong frequency peak on the eastern coast of North America,” according to CRI Genetics. Live Science said that 83 percent of Crawford’s DNA matches up with Native Americans. The rest of it showed about 10 percent European, about 5 percent East Asian, 2 percent South Asian and less than 1 percent African.

These genetic tests are reshaping scientific understanding of when Native Americans came and by what route. Other research has suggested that humans reached North America between 24,000 and 40,000 years ago. A 24,000-year-old horse jaw bone that was found in January 2017 in Alaska had the marks of stone tools, suggesting it was hunted by humans.
Blackfeet Native Americans

Group portrait of three Blackfeet Native Americans. Wolf Plume (left), Curly Bear, and Bird Rattler (right). 1916.

The Blackfoot Native Americans were skilled huntsmen. They primarily hunted buffalo like many other Plains tribes and traveled in groups, when hunting, to cover as much territory as possible.

In the 1800s, the white men began hunting buffalo too and this caused the population to decrease. More than 600 Blackfoots reportedly starved to death because of their dependence on the nearly extinct buffalo. The Blackfoot tribes are very spiritual and believe in supernatural powers. Among their beliefs is that everything has a spirit, whether alive or inanimate.

The Blackfoots most important spiritual ceremony is the Sun Dance. Taking place over eight days in the summer, it is also known as the Medicine Lodge Ceremony. It centers around dancing, singing, prayer and fasting, and the buffalo is the highlight of the ceremony. The ceremony was deemed illegal from the 1890s until 1934, when it was restored.

Related Article: DNA Testing Reveals Identity of World’s Oldest Natural Mummy

The Blackfoot Confederacy is a historic collective name for the four bands that make up the Blackfoot people: three First Nation groups in the Canadian provinces of Alberta, Saskatchewan, and British Columbia and one federally recognized tribe in Montana.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Old 300 is a cool thing, Roger

Me? I'm Irish with a Viking in the woodpile.

This guys got all of us beat on history, though...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Ingwe ?

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Humm. I would have thought desert tortoise. Or whale. Or shark.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
how does 55 generations equal 17000 years?

The way life should be.
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by bluefish
how does 55 generations equal 17000 years?
I picked that up as well. Only works if each generation is living to be 309 years old.... Some one needs a remedial math class....

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thor Heyerdahl proved that South Sea Savages could paddle a raft from Chile to the Pacific Islands. If they could go 1,500 miles west, they could turn around and go 1,500 miles east. Mainstream science dismissed Heyerdahl's work in 1947.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The first paragraph doesn't make sense. If each person lived 100 years and there are 55 generations, then that would add up to 5500 years, not 17,000.

After reading that first paragraph again, what I think it says is that for 55 generations, they are 99% sure. That means that for the next period of time, from generation 56 on back, they are not as sure. So that could mean, and I think it does, that the 17000 years, is just a guess.

Last edited by Oldman03; 09/24/22.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Like finding Bigfoot, lol. Have you seen some of them women 😂

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Wonder how they can trace DNA across that much area over that much time. The entire article stinks. Perhaps he's trans-something as well. I'm thinking that they arrived at that decision via many wild assed assumptions.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I was reading the other day that anything past 7 generations has only about a 1-2% accuracy.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mitachondrial DNA? Well that's unique.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Wasn’t it not long ago someone posted an article here of a butchered animal/campsite of humans dating back 35,000 years? I’m confused ( as often as not )

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Because mitochondrial dna is passed unchanged from mother to offspring. It doesn’t recombine like nuclear dna.

The only changes that occur in this dna are random mutations that occur over time. Since they can sequence it from old bones now, they can tell who is related today to a skeleton thousands of years old.

Some people like this man have a unique mitochondrial dna. Apparently his mitochondrial dna is of southwest Asian origin. But this doesn’t mean that native Americans have that origin. He is mostly native American but the article says he is also of European, African, and Asian ancestry. He could have picked up that Mitochondrial DNA from a non-native ancestor.

Last edited by Futura; 09/24/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Thor Heyerdahl proved that South Sea Savages could paddle a raft from Chile to the Pacific Islands. If they could go 1,500 miles west, they could turn around and go 1,500 miles east. Mainstream science dismissed Heyerdahl's work in 1947.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Guy had some nuts though. I enjoyed reading him as a younger man.

.... like tears in the rain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mr. Crawford has a huge legacy. Does he have heirs to follow him ? It would be a shame to lose this line.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Guy had some nuts though. I enjoyed reading him as a younger man.
Cool boat, must take forever to build one.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Mitachondrial DNA? Well that's unique.
Well that is embarrassing...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Futura
Because mitochondrial dna is passed unchanged from mother to offspring. It doesn’t recombine like nuclear dna.

The only changes that occur in this dna are random mutations that occur over time. Since they can sequence it from old bones now, they can tell who is related today to a skeleton thousands of years old.

Some people like this man have a unique mitochondrial dna. Apparently his mitochondrial dna is of southwest Asian origin. But this doesn’t mean that native Americans have that origin. He is mostly native American but the article says he is also of European, African, and Asian ancestry. He could have picked up that Mitochondrial DNA from a non-native ancestor.
There is no "mitochondrial DNA"... try RNA.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Pretty cool.

I am MAGA.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
104 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,350 guests, and 683 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,869
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.