Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
How do you keep rats out of or away from your BBQ Pit, grill, cooking area, outdoor kitchen?

Building a new outdoor cooking facility & don’t want to share with vermin. Don’t want to use poison.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a continuing problem with pack rats. I really dislike the little buggers. They make a terrible mess if they get into the garage or make a nest inside a vehicle or enclosed trailer.

The only poison I have yet found to work is Kaput-D Pocket Gopher Bait. Works well. I leave tiny cups of the stuff inside areas where they might nest.

But, if using poison is out, there is only one trap…. With two variations…. that I have found to work.

In dry weather, I simply put 4-5 inches of water in “Homer Buckets” and leave them around the house. The pack rats will be drawn to the water and simply jump in to inevitably drown. Of course, this only works in dry weather.

The second also uses the same bucket with water but has a lid that tips/dumps when the rat steps on it to retrieve some peanut butter, or some other bait. Best bait seems to be peanut butter, bird seed or potato chips. I will scatter the seed or chips around the area and they get to liking the feed and will soon find their way to the bucket. The one with a yellow “tunnel” to draw the rat on the tip side of the axle works pretty good. Simply put seeds inside the tunnel so the rat has to go in to get the seed.

If I find a bucket with a dead rat in it, I will leave it for awhile and another rat may come to investigate and he may go for a swim as well. Once I ended with five rats in the drink….two adults and three juveniles.

Sometimes maple syrup draws them in. Put sunflower seeds out with only a few seeds having syrup on them and then dose the seeds on the lid of the tip trap.

Last edited by TF49; 09/24/22.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (14idaho, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 13 invisible), 1,589 guests, and 793 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,517
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.