-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The first few sentences put out a whole bunch of disconnected information with little substantiation.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Oldman03
The first paragraph doesn't make sense. If each person lived 100 years and there are 55 generations, then that would add up to 5500 years, not 17,000.

After reading that first paragraph again, what I think it says is that for 55 generations, they are 99% sure. That means that for the next period of time, from generation 56 on back, they are not as sure. So that could mean, and I think it does, that the 17000 years, is just a guess.
r

Generations are usually separated by 20 or 30 years, In earlier times probably even less. There could be any where between 3 to 5 generations within 100 years.

So with just a 20 yr separation average, it would take only 1100 years for 55 generations.

Last edited by Cretch; 09/24/22.

3825 24336
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The first paragraph doesn't make sense. If each person lived 100 years and there are 55 generations, then that would add up to 5500 years, not 17,000.

After reading that first paragraph again, what I think it says is that for 55 generations, they are 99% sure. That means that for the next period of time, from generation 56 on back, they are not as sure. So that could mean, and I think it does, that the 17000 years, is just a guess.

Even that doesn't work.
Considering life expectancy, normal human breeding patterns....
If everyone had kids by 25, you would have kids, grandkids, great grand kids, and great-great-great kids just before you die. (Some birthed at 24)
That would be 4 generations created in 100 years, 5 if your line is young breeder and you were born inside that span.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'm thinking Senator Elizabeth Warren will stake a claim in this somehow.

Attached Images
warren.JPG (25.79 KB, 226 downloads)
Last edited by SupFoo; 09/24/22.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It is a terribly written article, and not only because the math doesn’t come close to making sense.

Interesting nonetheless.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Mitachondrial DNA? Well that's unique.
What do you mean?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Thor Heyerdahl proved that South Sea Savages could paddle a raft from Chile to the Pacific Islands. If they could go 1,500 miles west, they could turn around and go 1,500 miles east. Mainstream science dismissed Heyerdahl's work in 1947.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Guy had some nuts though. I enjoyed reading him as a younger man.

I loved Kon Tiki as a kid and read it 3 times. Five badass Norwegian WW2 vets crossed the big ocean on a raft.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
What do you mean?
RNA in mitochondria, not DNA.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
What do you mean?
Incorrect.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I am no genetics expert, but a simple google search found this.

Mitochondrial DNA is the circular chromosome found inside the cellular organelles called mitochondria. Located in the cytoplasm, mitochondria are the site of the cell's energy production and other metabolic functions. Offspring inherit mitochondria — and as a result mitochondrial DNA — from their mother.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What do you mean?
I mean whoever penned the article is a buffoon. Not only does their rithmetic suck, so does their riting (spelling).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bluefish
how does 55 generations equal 17000 years?

With regard to work like this, they aren't connecting 55 consecutive generations. I doubt the Blackfeet would have known the White Man would discover DNA and so did not know to save samples from each generation.

Instead it is done with known DNA samples from the past and mathematical models that supposedly determine how likely it is that two samples separated by multiple generations are related. There is a large amount of hand waving and voodoo involved and a lot of the results are influenced by what the people involved want there outcome to be.

The article was written by an imbecile so tough to tell, but it seems that the company's models made connections from this guy back across 55 DNA samples from the past, which they probably pulled out of a shared database somewhere.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What do you mean?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
What do you mean?
LOL

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
What do you mean?
I mean whoever penned the article is a buffoon. Not only does their rithmetic suck, so does their riting (spelling).

Oh I didn't even notice. Good catch.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thor Heyerdahl proved that South Sea Savages could paddle a raft from Chile to the Pacific Islands. If they could go 1,500 miles west, they could turn around and go 1,500 miles east. Mainstream science dismissed Heyerdahl's work in 1947.

When I said that mainstream science dismissed Heyerdahl's work, I meant that, time has proven Heyerdahl to be right and mainstream science wrong.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

When I said that mainstream science dismissed Heyerdahl's work, I meant that, time has proven Heyerdahl to be right and mainstream science wrong.
That stuff is interesting, however, it doesn't jibe with even the most basic genetics work. BUT, who knows what they'll dig up in the future.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 09/24/22.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

That stuff is interesting, however, it doesn't jibe with even the most basic genetics work. BUT, who knows what they'll dig up in the future.

I'm no expert but it sure seems like the polynesians made it to South America. If they can start in southeast Asia and make it all the way to Easter Island, South America doesn't seem like that much of a stretch.

A few years ago there was a group that took what they claim was a traditional style of Polynesian sailing catamaran, and they circumnavigated the globe in the thing.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

That's easy Randy...

Liberal DemocRAT math....

nothing else they do makes any sense or adds up, so why should this?

Like the country is not in a recession, we don't have any real inflation...and Joe Biden isn't senile.. this is the way people who are 509 years old act?
They aren't senile or confused.. they're just lost in thought, because they spend most of their days thinking how to solved the real world problems.,

and Joe is really 1009 years old.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by auk1124
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

I'm no expert but it sure seems like the polynesians made it to South America. If they can start in southeast Asia and make it all the way to Easter Island, South America doesn't seem like that much of a stretch.

A few years ago there was a group that took what they claim was a traditional style of Polynesian sailing catamaran, and they circumnavigated the globe in the thing.
It's maybe possible, even probable, however, the modern genetics work, thus far, shows decent from Siberian ancestry throughout the Americas. (In multiple waves). Interesting stuff in the past decade. Just my casual take.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 09/24/22.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 63 invisible), 2,314 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,211
Posts18,466,230
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.