Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Stick's okay. A bit abrasive to some. But he's the kind of guy that if you get a flat on the road and he happens by, he stops, breaks your lug nuts with his fingers, lifts your truck with his left hand, replaces your tire with the right, puts it down, and torques your lug nuts back on with his fingers, then doesn't accept any pay, but calls you a drooling fugg-tard as he drives away.

Seriously, he's never bothered me. Yeah, he's a bit abrasive. But some of the things he's gone through might make anyone a bit whacky. Some of the insults hurled at him on this forum about his family tragedies are appalling.

He's also an outstanding photographer. He shares a passion with me for nature photography. And he's damned good at it. What he posts here is a smidgeon of what he's posted on photography sites.

He's also a fisherman, so he can't be all bad.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 09/23/22.
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Why, I’m a legend in my own mind….

L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
No more appalling than the insults and acuzastions you threw at me and my family.

I'm sure Big Stick enjOyed the nutt licking you just tried to give him.....

You glOcksucking bass'turd.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC
I'll have you know me and Big Stick are comrades....

You're the only friend he's got, then. And, likewise, he's YOUR only friend.

Did you two meet in therapy ?? Or Match.com ??

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC
No more appalling than the insults and acuzastions you threw at me and my family.

Never threw any aspurstions at your family, ever. Not one.

If you are trying to throw off your reputation for being a jive turkey, you aren't doing a good job.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 09/24/22.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Did you two meet in therapy ?? Or Match.com ??

LOL

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Originally Posted by LFC

Never threw any aspurstions at your family, ever. Not one.

If you are trying to throw off your reputation for being a jive turkey, you aren't doing a good job.

He makes up his own realities, Glocks. Then cries about stuff that ain't so.

Kinda sad and pathetic. He'd make a world-class democrat politician.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So.......... Thought about it.

Of all the people in the turkey/turkey hunting world that I've met...... I would consider these to be "legends".

Tom Stuckey
Dick Kirby
Ben Lee
Preston Pittman
Dale Rohm
Jim Kasper
Rob Keck
Harold Knight
David Hale
Bill Jordan
Irving Whitt
Ray Eye
Marlin Watkins
Darrin Dawkins

That's who I'm coming up with at the moment. A whole lot of other people who have made big names for themselves. But, the above guys have, IMO, left a lasting mark on the sport for one reason or another.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wonder how long til our local, resident troll starts bashing names.............. ???

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a Realtree cap that I won at a local hunting and fishing club banquet. It's signed by David Hale, Harold Knight, Tiffany Lakosky, Brad Farris, Lee Lakosky, and a bunch of others from the 2010 NWTF convention in Nashville.

Does this count? It's got Tiffany's phone number with it.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To me....... Tiffany's phone number would decrease its value.

Now, Harold and David are salt of the earth individuals.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I grew up about 15 miles from Cadiz Ky where Harold and David are from. They were definitely local legends back then when Harold won the world goose calling championship. About the only place you could find turkeys in western KY back then was Land Between the Lakes or Ft. Campbell.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You have to admit, if the people mentioned here are legends, it doesn’t take much to stand out in a crowd of 3 turkey hunters…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Never met Shrapnel face to face, but had a chance to speak at length with him about Winchester rifles. I call that a meet. Do a little research on Shrapnel, he's a legend.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 09/24/22.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by shrapnel
You have to admit, if the people mentioned here are legends, it doesn’t take much to stand out in a crowd of 3 turkey hunters…

Yeah I was wondering how one becomes a legend for ground sluicing birds with a shotgun during their mating season....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TD5427
I grew up about 15 miles from Cadiz Ky where Harold and David are from. They were definitely local legends back then when Harold won the world goose calling championship. About the only place you could find turkeys in western KY back then was Land Between the Lakes or Ft. Campbell.

I went to high school with David Hale. He was older than me, and I remember when Harold Knight was a barber in Cadiz.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I grew up with Bart Conner, kindergarten through high school, Olympic gold medalist in gymnastics and went on to marry Nadia Comaneci. All this and a couple dollars got me a cup of coffee this morning...

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
I grew up with Bart Conner, kindergarten through high school, Olympic gold medalist in gymnastics and went on to marry Nadia Comaneci. All this and a couple dollars got me a cup of coffee this morning...
Lmao! Im very impressed and almost in as much awe of you as i am of these other guys that have met all these "legends" of the turkey woods. sleep. I watched a turkey hunting TV show one time that had Michael Waddell on it but I call him "Waddy" because He is salt of the earth guy and I consider us as buddy's 😁...Hb

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Back when I was Charter Flying, I had 'Slammin' Sam Snead as a passenger............

And I know DD......

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I met two really nice guys who I consider to be legends in the Turkey hunting world. I met Mr. Smith who founded Smith Game Calls from Summerville, PA . I was hunting spring Turkey in Clarion County PA in 1970 I was 12 years old and turkeys were so rare I only saw a small flock one time in my life. It was May and I was out on our property on a Saturday hunting using a home made suction call. I did not hear a bird but thought I saw one. Got to be 12:00 and I headed down a tram road going back to camp. There was an old Ford truck and a older gentleman sitting on the bed with plaid shirt and brown canvas pants. He asked what I was up too. I told him I was hunting turkey. He asked if had any luck and I replied I thought I saw one earlier. He said he heard a few and called 2 in but they did not get close enough. He said I was the only person he ever met spring Turkey hunting in the area. He wanted to see my call, I showed him and I played it for him. He fiddled with it and showed me how to use it. Wow, my calling never sounded like that. He took out a small wood box with slate and a peg stuck in the side hole. He played that thing like an instrument. He taught me how to use it. I invited him to our camp for lunch, we drove to camp and my aunt had a wonderful lunch for all of us. Mr. Smith asked if I would be hunting next week. I said yes. He told me to meet him at the Y in our camp road at 4:30 and we would hunt together. I met the following week and we hunted together. He really taught me so much in that morning. He called 1 bird to 40 yds but was to far to shoot. We went back to his truck and he had slate call sitting on the seat and he gave it to me. He said he wanted me to practice this coming week on my back porch and think about how we hunted today. He told me to meet him at 12:30 at the Y next Saturday. That next Saturday, hunted a new section of our mountain side and I took a nice Tom. I wrestled that bird all the way to the Y and met up with Mr. Smith. He wanted to know all the dtails. We drove back to camp, took pictures, had lunch. We had boaters going up and down the river stopping to look at my bird. That afternoon we had 50 people stop to look at the Turkey many of these people never saw one before this time. Mr. Smith taught me how to clean the bird. I became friends with him and his family often trout fishing and deer hunting with them. A true gentleman!

The other Turkey legend is Don Marley Watkins from Salienville, Ohio. I had a call made and he invited me to his beautiful property/house to pick it up and visit. What a nice man, and wonderful hunter, he has made me a number of calls which I consider working pieces of art. I often call him and listen to the most interesting Turkey hunts.

Most of the biggies in Turkey hunting are the salt of the earth. They love the sport, and want to pass along their knowledge.

Gary U

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 1234, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 51 invisible), 2,286 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,090
Posts18,464,038
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.