Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
My cheap Savage bolt action came with an AccuFit stock that is supposed to be Pillar beaded. It is my understanding that the metal pillar should be slightly proud of the plastic (or at least even with the plastic). As you can see, both pillars are hiding inside the plastic. Thus, imo they aren't pillar bedded at all. Am I wrong?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
goodwill murfreesboro tn

Last edited by BradFord; 09/24/22.
BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BradFord
My cheap Savage bolt action came with an AccuFir stock that is supposed to be Pillar beaded. It is my understanding that the metal pillar should be slightly proud of the plastic (or at least even with the plastic). As you can see, both pillars are hiding inside the plastic. Thus, imo they aren't pillar bedded at all. Am I wrong?

goodwill murfreesboro tn

It has pillars, obviously. It's a factory stock, so you get what you get. Can they get away with saying it's "pillar bedded"? Yes. Is it right: No...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
My cheap Savage bolt action came with an AccuFir stock that is supposed to be Pillar beaded. It is my understanding that the metal pillar should be slightly proud of the plastic (or at least even with the plastic). As you can see, both pillars are hiding inside the plastic. Thus, imo they aren't pillar bedded at all. Am I wrong?

goodwill murfreesboro tn

It has pillars, obviously. It's a factory stock, so you get what you get. Can they get away with saying it's "pillar bedded"? Yes. Is it right: No...

Not shockingly, it shot like crap.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
'Technology' for the masses. Marketing 101.

Followed closely by the glut of truly horrible 'aluminum bedding blocks'.

Fortunately though, improvements can be made.

Good shootin' smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Well it has pillars. But unfortunately, in the current position they are in they are worthless.

IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Hard to tell. It depends on how tight you torque the action screws. Perhaps with 50 ftlbs the pillar actually touches(?)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
pertnear,
My thoughts too.
How soft is the stock, how much compression?

It's not that much short, it may actually come into play to
stop compression.

It is pillar bedded. They might even serve a purpose.
Stress free bedding isn't claimed. Is it?

This is the value line, of a value brand.
It would be fun to play with that, try Farmer Tightening them screws,
see if you can feel it suddenly get solid.

Wouldn't recommend doing that on a gun you GAS about, or, maybe one
should. Figure out what ya got and if it's ok.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

goodwill murfreesboro tn

Not shockingly, it shot like crap.

I believe that. The reason I always fine tune the bedding. IE: "properly glass bed" every rifle I own. You'd be surprised that just about every factory rifle has schidt for bedding and accuracy/precision can be improved upon, by the simple feat of glass bedding. Even the aluminum bedding blocks that Al made reference to can be out from action to action, and need a good "skim" bedding. You also have a lot of people here that think you can throw a rifle in a high dollar stock like a Mcmillan, because it's the "best of the best" and can't be improved upon right, and be fine without glass bedding. That is a fool's errand and huge misconception, but those types don't get it. Much like a democrap won't listen to reason. Just my take on what I see here..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The the OP, how does it shoot?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
http://erniethegunsmith.com/catalog/i186.html

You could possibly dremel out around the pillar and then install the washers to bring your height back up and free float the action where it is supposed to sit height wise to the stock. Then epoxy/bed the washers and what was dremeled out. I did this to an HS stock once and worked well.

Rick Grimes for Governor
"This isn't a democracy anymore"
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There seems to be some contact on the rear pillar. But that shows something I had issues with with my Salvages (which now shoot nice).
I think I actually got out a soldering iron and heated the pillars and they came right out, I replaced them with "real" pillars, basically a different kind of tubing, cut a bit longer than the factory items so the action screws don't squish plastic, just steel. I think on one pillar, I just needed to heat it, move it and slip a hot washer into the front screw hole and everything was fine, resulted in a nice "hard" screw torque and pretty groups.

On the rear pillar, my rifles (a 10 FP and a Stevens 200) have the "old" trigger with the dingus/bolt release/cocking indicator, and I ground out the front portion of the dingus thingie so I could put a 360 degree full-circle rear pillar with support both in front and back of the rear action screw. Without the back part of the pillar, there's some action springing and you have to get the torque (not much) exactly perfect every time or it's a different rifle.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Call Savage, tell them what is going on and what you see and they will send you a new stock.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by duke61
Call Savage, tell them what is going on and what you see and they will send you a new stock.

The funny thing is they will, but is it going to be any better? Probably not. The cure is to fix the fugging thing youself. You guys act like this is some challenging feat. I get a little fu cking frustrated with the modern man these days. I'm surprised you can wipe your own azzes sometimes..

BSA MAGA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by devnull

Yep.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
How do you guys like the pro bed2000 compared to Acra glass? Got some pro bed to try,always used acraglass gel.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EdM

Yep.

The second post by the O.P.:

"Not shockingly, it shot like crap".

Forbidden Zoner
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Originally Posted by EdM

Yep.

The second post by the O.P.:

"Not shockingly, it shot like crap".

As we all know the bedding could be only one out of a dozen reasons why it shoots poorly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Phil11
As we all know the bedding could be only one out of a dozen reasons why it shoots poorly.

Yep. smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
237 members (1Longbow, 12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 25 invisible), 1,852 guests, and 874 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,800
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.