24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
OP Offline
L
I’ve been searching the web looking for 16 ga hulls for reloading and have came up with squat. I’m looking for high brass super X (cheddite) or equivalent. Thanks.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I don't know what your purpose is, but for general use I've had a great deal of success with the basic Remington Game Load (black) hulls. I also have a lifetime supply of the old Winchester compression formed hulls (never threw hulls away and glad I didn't now). I also have some RST 2-1/2 inch hulls I'm holding on to until I get a short kit for my MEC reloader.

Check out Ballistic Products, which has had new 16 gauge hulls from time to time and also offers wads and shot cards. My current go to load uses the Remington hulls and Remington 209 primers with Remington 1-1/8 ounce wads and a couple of 28 gauge BP shot cards to build the shot column up and get a good crimp with 7/8 ounce of shot. I'm using a Universal powder load out of an older Lyman shotshell reloading handbook and shooting these loads in older side by sides that I prefer to baby with lighter shot charges and lower pressures.

I don't think any of the Remington products are currently available, but you could locate some on line. If you keep the book pressure low enough, you can probably substitute primers (which seem to be the most difficult reloading item to locate these days) and stay within safe limits. Or send some of the shells with the substitute primers off to be pressure tested if you have concerns.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Luvtofish
I’ve been searching the web looking for 16 ga hulls for reloading and have came up with squat. I’m looking for high brass super X (cheddite) or equivalent. Thanks.

You've been searching the web? Maybe switch up your search terms?

16 gauge hulls, Craft Supplies

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
L
OP Offline
L
I’ve seen those adds for crafting. $19.99 for 8 shotsells sounds a bit much. I’m a longtime reloader of 20, & 12 gauge loads. I never had a need for 16 gauge until recently after purchasing the new Sweet Sixteen. 16 gauge primed hulls or even “once fired” are as rare as hens teeth right now. Remy - I have a good stash of Winchester Western CF in 20 gauge. I sure wish I had the same in 16. The only hulls I have are from boxes of Winchester Super X that I’ve bought and shot, picking up my empties as I go. Ballistic Product's and Precision Reloading have zero 16 hulls. The big box stores are also all out. Such is the state of the 16 gauge world these days I guess. Cheers!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Sheeit just bought a flat and a half at the local gs last weekend. Cost $140.

Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B2

L
OP Offline
L
Consider yourself one lucky dawg.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I got all of my once fired hulls by buying boxes of shells and eventually shooting them all.

I'm sure most of us started exactly where you find yourself right now.

There's a bunch of commercial loads available right now though.

Be grateful you didn't pick up the 16 gauge back in the early 00's when you couldn't hardly find a box if your life depended on it. Though, I remember in the late 80's and early 90's, you could walk into any Kmart or box store and get a box of high brass for $5.97

Naturally, the prices now are 3-6x higher than back then. Cheapest I'm seeing right now is ~$15/box and it goes up from there

But if you're looking to buy:

https://www.ammobuy.com/ammo/16-gauge

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Don't know if I'm a lucky dog, but I trained myself alot of years ago to know and keep up on what things I need and want cost. As a result I tend to buy when I see a good deal. I started on 16's 45 years a go have 8-10 flats plus from 9's to slugs, mec Jr in 16ga + 5000 plastic wads and fiber wads and nitro cards. Haven't hoarded nothing just bought what I need at less than the normal going rate. It 's just my look forward philosophy....mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
^That was pretty much my philosophy too. If you find something you need, and at a good price, get it.

History has taught me that it's only going to increase in price, and be less available. So even if you pay up a little more for it now than you like, in 10 years from now, you'll kick yourself for not buying more of it "back in the good old days" when you could.

Example: When Remington was going through their bankruptcy, I bought the last 5 or 6 bags of SP16 wads they had when it went on clearance from midway or brownells at about $7.99 bag/250.

*Not long thereafter, Remington was no more, and so were the wads altogether. Sadly, you can't hardly buy them at any cost now because they're not being made anymore. Thankfully though, other places have stepped up.

I know that demand is higher right now because many small game seasons are in (or coming in soon). So prices are going to be a little higher this time of year. But I would never suggest that you wait to buy something that is in stock now in fear that it will go out of stock if it's something you need. Even if you have to pay up a little more if you're just starting out just to have some. Everyone has to start somewhere. And better to pay a little more and have it, than to not have it.

But, between black friday and before tax season when ammo sales are historically the lowest sales and least demand, that's often when you'll find your best deals when stuff starts getting marked down and put on clearance. So keep that in mind when making your Christmas list to Santa.

Also, call around to all your local gun stores and box stores that sell ammo and ask them if they have any. You may hit the jackpot.

I had also noticed something you said in your original post. You said you were looking for "high brass" shells. Ok. Nothing wrong with that. But is there a specific reason for high brass only? I ask because I'm not sure if you are aware, but you can use low brass hulls and still use them for your high brass loads and charges just the same. Or, vice versa. You can also use your high brass hulls and make weak handicap loads with them too. But unless you just want high brass shells to start with, it doesn't matter which you have when you start making your own.

L
OP Offline
L
Good info, thanks for sharing. I totally agree with your comments regarding grabbing stuff as it becomes available now, rather than waiting for the lowest price. The way ammo availability has been the past few years, you just never know when items will return to stock. Don't get me started on .22 caliber ammo....it's starting to be plentiful now but it took a few years to get there. And primers? Forget it! Try to buy 1000 pk of small pistol or small rife primers right now let alone W209, or Federal 209? I did manage to buy a case of Cheddite 209's from BPI.

As I mentioned earlier, I just acquired my 16 gauge having used my trusty Auto 5's, 20 and 12 for years (including reloading ammo for them). I'm just finding 16 gauge reloading components are a bit more scarce. I have a goodly supply of lead wads now but have steel wad's on back order with BPI, luckily on the Dove opener here I had plenty of steel shot for my 20 gauge as I hunt in designated dove fields put out by the game department. Non-toxic only of course.

The reason I mentioned High Brass is because I just like them. I realize it's more of a novelty as there are plenty of high powered rounds available in the low brass style. At this point I'll buy any new or once fired hulls I can find regardless of brass height.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You're on the right track buddy.

Sadly, 16 ga ammo has not been produced in the same numbers as 12 and 20 or even 410, at least not in my lifetime.

It seems to be produced in limited runs leading up to small game seasons in the fall and that's about it. So, what you're seeing available, is mostly going to be what's available for 16 ga in 2022. That's just how the market is.

But, it's good to see federal and others making it again. I'll give them that. I shot a wheelbarrow full of those old purple shells in the 80's and early 90's when I was hunting so much with it. I wish I knew then what I do now. I would've never left them laying. But, that's how it is when you're young and dumb and could walk into the store and buy a box. You never gave it a second thought.

I think the reason you're seeing as much as you are currently has some to do with several 16 ga guns being made and sold by browning and stevens and even imported under the tristar name with a semiauto and a double. So, it's nice to see a push being made to keep it from becoming extinct. As I mentioned earlier, take advantage of that while you can, and as you can. Even if it's just a box or two every payday. That's how I got most of mine. Since so few people in my county shoot it, I end up with most of what's put out on shelves until it's gone again.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The paths we choose, I started loading 20 ga with a used mec 600 jr that I got at 13 in 1968. Have loaded thousands of 20 ga. Still use that old mec from 7/8oz to 1 1/4OZ 3". It taught me a lot , stuff like never change the dies to another gauge. I have 2 600 Jr's now ole reliable is left setup with 7/8oz bar and the newer one with a 1 oz bar. My 600jr for 410 is setup for 1/2 oz loads in 2 1/2" loads. My 16 ga 600jrs for 1 oz loads and the other for 1 1/8 oz.. Have 3 600jrs for 12ga 7/8 oz ,1 oz, 1 1/8 oz occaisionally change to heavier bars in the 1 1/8oz machine. Two 600's in 10 ga. Some would argue that many is uneeded or an extravagance but not really , most were bought for 50 bucks or less at gunshows. Did have to buy the first 16 ga one new though was $115. Collected loading data pamphlets and books for over 54 years never know when you are gonna need the old info for gunshow and garage sale component finds. Probably the only guy around who has pgs, nitro cards, fiber wads and shot sleaves for 3 gauges . I suppose my wife wouldn't like all my "stuff" so it's good I don't have one. Old guys die all the time watch the estate sales and garage sales you prolly get a lot of things...mb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some of those high brass shells can be a PITA when sizing, especially if your gun has a generous chamber ..l

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
95 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 13 invisible), 1,749 guests, and 736 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,720
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.