Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Great write up & photos Barm. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for the kind words. I hope to get out there again soon.

BP-B2

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
I got mine for Christmas in 1970, and I have 198 rounds of original Remington 38gr Power Lokt's left.

About all I use it for is fall turkey, so I think I have enough ammo to last me, lol.

Back when I got it, I lived on 389 acres in N. Illinois, made up of woods and ponds, and shot lot's of stuff with that rifle. That Power Lokt bullet worked very well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A few weeks ago I came by a gunshop that was going out of business and got 2 bricks of Aguila 30gr for $400, I should be good for a long while. For my 592

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I hope that was a misprint! That’s up there with Eley Tenex in price!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DANNYL
A few weeks ago I came by a gunshop that was going out of business and got 2 bricks of Aguila 30gr for $400, I should be good for a long while. For my 592

At $200/brick............YOU, sir, should go to confession !!!! grin

You done GOOOOOD !!!!!

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Wow I had no idea that ammo was going for that kind of money. I always thought the 5mm was the “right” answer even though it never really caught on.

Last edited by John0313; 09/23/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It would have been a whole lot MORE the right answer had more rifles been offered.

Put it in a Ruger and a CZ and see what would have happened.

There only ever were 30-some thousand Remington rifles built. The ammo is expensive because there's a small market for it AND it's a limited production run product.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Yoder409
It would have been a whole lot MORE the right answer had more rifles been offered.

There only ever were 30-some thousand Remington rifles built. The ammo is expensive because there's a small market for it AND it's a limited production run product.
Except it wouldn't work in any existing Ruger or CZ rimfire rifle. The pressure of the 5mm at 36,000 cup is too high for ordinary rimfire actions. Remington had to do some reengineering on their six lug rimfire action to make it work. Being a rimfire cartridge operating at that pressure required the whole case, including the rim be supported by the chamber and bolt face in order to contain it. They also needed to develop the unique sliding extractor/ejector assembly that slides into the left rear of the chamber alongside the case in order to help facilitate reliable extraction.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You done GOOOOOD !!!!!

This is my confession.

Ya he wanted $300 a brick and I continued looking around he came over and said he'd sell both together for $400, told him ok if he eats the tax and he said he'd split it so I agreed with that.

Last edited by DANNYL; 09/23/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Except it wouldn't work in any existing Ruger or CZ rimfire rifle. The pressure of the 5mm at 36,000 cup is too high for ordinary rimfire actions. Remington had to do some reengineering on their six lug rimfire action to make it work. Being a rimfire cartridge operating at that pressure required the whole case, including the rim be supported by the chamber and bolt face in order to contain it. They also needed to develop the unique sliding extractor/ejector assembly that slides into the left rear of the chamber alongside the case in order to help facilitate reliable extraction.

Yeah............ It'd have to be a ground-up, new design.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You done GOOOOOD !!!!!

This is my confession.

Ya he wanted $300 a brick and I continued looking around he came over and said he'd sell both together for $400, told him ok if he eats the tax and he said he'd split it so I agreed with that.

I would have too !!! In a heartbeat !!!

GREAT snag !!!!!

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Eric from varminter.com built a 5mm Rem Mag on a CZ 452.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by barm

Maybe not the best idea at .357 magnum pressures in a rimfire case. There were reasons Remington didn't just straight up rechamber the 581 to 5mm and call it good and they were outlined above.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Maybe not the best idea at .357 magnum pressures in a rimfire case. There were reasons Remington didn't just straight up rechamber the 581 to 5mm and call it good and they were outlined above.

Yep. A new platform would have to created. But I think it could be done and SHOULD have been done.

The .17 WSM (at 33000) runs almost to 5mm Rem Mag pressures. Thinking something in .17 WSM could be made to handle the 5mm. Not outright, because I believe there's a difference in rim thickness or something. But along the same lines. Maybe just a different bolt face.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Yep. A new platform would have to created. But I think it could be done and SHOULD have been done.

The .17 WSM (at 33000) runs almost to 5mm Rem Mag pressures. Thinking something in .17 WSM could be made to handle the 5mm. Not outright, because I believe there's a difference in rim thickness or something. But along the same lines. Maybe just a different bolt face.
At this point I think I'd rather just see a 5mm WSM brought to market.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
At this point I think I'd rather just see a 5mm WSM brought to market.

Possible idea. Yep.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Very cool gun and way to go barm for getting the old girl back out doing what she was meant to do!

If I recall correctly, there was at least one smithing company converting these Remington's to center fire, and the same or maybe a different one making center fire 5mm cases available. I think I read about it on the saubier (sp) forums.

I don't know if that stuff is still being done these days.

Think.
It's not illegal, yet.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Grew up shooting ground hogs in fields like that in Virginia. Very few left in the area I hunt.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have two 5mms - one 591 and one 592. I did the Schroeder conversion on one to a centerfire 5mm and ordered several hundred cases at the time. The other one I left original (the Schroeder conversion can be converted back to original if desired). Worked up a load with 40 grain ballistic tips but had to remove the bullet tip to fit the magazine. It shot incredibly well and killed a few groundhogs with it but my limited attention span had me on to other projects - may have to get it out and try and revive the interest?!!

Thanks for posting Barm - brought back some memories of days past!!

PennDog

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by k22hornet
I got mine for Christmas in 1970, and I have 198 rounds of original Remington 38gr Power Lokt's left.

About all I use it for is fall turkey, so I think I have enough ammo to last me, lol.

Back when I got it, I lived on 389 acres in N. Illinois, made up of woods and ponds, and shot lot's of stuff with that rifle. That Power Lokt bullet worked very well.
What kind of shot placement do you prefer with the 5mm and turkey?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 2,789 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.