Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If'n a battle AR is really meant for the long run, any concern about poly/rubber grips, stocks, maybe the bumper on the buffer, or extractor o-rings? Thinking of becoming less than optimal or inoperable from being in a high heat environment (use your imagination), not degredation from chemicals (maybe that too) or heat from sustained firing. Besides lights, switches, optics.

I've heard of ditching the o-rings (BCM), aluminum grips and butts and had a guy in the know caution against Magpul plastique handguards... Stuff, within reason is going to still function? Or not?

Looked at ARs of a broad spectrum of price points today at Brownells. Poly aplenty.

Comments, GFYs, input? Parts that potentially could address such concerns, regardless of validity of course?

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 09/24/22.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I don’t have any combat type experience but have learned a good bit about ARs. I think if the environment around you is either so hot or full bullets and fragments your gun will fail, you’ll have left that area pretty quickly. I’m not intending to be facetious or anything, but the gun will be much more durable than we are.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Yeah. You can only do so much fighting before you get got. Much more likely to die of disease, dehydration, starvation before your AR decomposes.

But never a bad idea to have an AK or an M1, maybe even an old Mauser to keep lead in the air. Diversity is the spice of life.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Firecontrolman
I don’t have any combat type experience but have learned a good bit about ARs. I think if the environment around you is either so hot or full bullets and fragments your gun will fail, you’ll have left that area pretty quickly. I’m not intending to be facetious or anything, but the gun will be much more durable than we are.
No doubt. I'm not trying to be too far out here. Easy to just check the, no not a concern box...

I could have been more specific, rather than saying "use your imagination". This does not mean the human is exposed to the same conditions as the firearm. For chits and giggles, say your MOE K2+ grip melted into a blob next to the burning rubble, or campfire, exhaust system, whatever the case may be. You didn't. There's no backups or base. Consequences? Avoidance? Apply same to the other potential non-metal parts. There are all metal butts, and grips. The all metal carbine stock by ??? for example. Certainly those were more durable than poly.

Just killing time. Parts are parts. We got our C158 bolt, uber extractor, chrome lined barrel, super sights, wonder springs, ultra-anadozing, mega handguard, but then went with plastic grip and butt? And magazine.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 09/24/22.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
If'n a battle AR is really meant for the long run, any concern about poly/rubber grips, stocks, maybe the bumper on the buffer, or extractor o-rings? Thinking of becoming less than optimal or inoperable from being in a high heat environment (use your imagination), not degredation from chemicals (maybe that too) or heat from sustained firing. Besides lights, switches, optics.

I've heard of ditching the o-rings (BCM), aluminum grips and butts and had a guy in the know caution against Magpul plastique handguards... Stuff, within reason is going to still function? Or not?

Looked at ARs of a broad spectrum of price points today at Brownells. Poly aplenty.

Comments, GFYs, input? Parts that potentially could address such concerns, regardless of validity of course?
You stopped at the store in Grinnel ??

I hope you didn't try to go west on I-80. The ramp was closed last week and didn't look like it was going back open for any length of time.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by kwg020

I hope you didn't try to go west on I-80. The ramp was closed last week and didn't look like it was going back open for any length of time.

kwg
$#&@&!, Yes, westbound!

Twenty miles, ten east, ten back to get to zero! Dambit! LOL, had to do that another time too!

Very conservative today. Got a bench block, vise block, various swabs, an Oops kit and a used single - shot 12ga. They had SR, SRM, SP, SPM primers and a few powders of interest. Sigh. I could easily dump ten of Gs there on shop goodies and toys! Walked away from a clean 870 twenty gauge for $280. Of interest, Trijicon Riflescopes made in Japan, FM9 forward Charging 9mm carbine, cool handguards. Oh boy, I am a fan.

--- Kid Rock 2022

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Well I hate to say “mil spec” but again, true mil spec parts are about as tested in harsh environments as any you’ll find.

Let’s look at the O-ring. While the new mil spec is a 5 coil copper colored spring and black insert, no O-ring. However, that bolt gets hotter than you hold and the O-ring has survived.

Hand guards have melted and caught fire in torture tests. But the SS gas tubes have melted and burst too. The gun being DI gets pretty hot and handled the heat very well. Don’t know about MagPul hand guards but the Colt plastic hand guards are about as bullet proof as they come.

If your stock gets hot enough to melt, your action spring is gonna be toast. As for the buffer, cheap bargain priced buffers have been known to lose the rubber end to deterioration. They sometimes have powdered tungsten in plastic capsules instead of solid slugs. Another reason to avoid cheap parts.

All in all the MP K2+ is probably the weakest link, though I like them I have the non rubber covered versions on standby in case they start showing signs of weakness.

It’s never a bad idea to “what if” things.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Appreciate it. I totally get you, the stuff is well-tested. There's lots of different plastics as well... Lots of territory between scorched yet usable and fubar. I'll look into buffers as I have almost exclusively used the less costly, yet supposedly domestic options. I have a chrome-lined 16" unit I may build up using additional information learned since initially putting it together "good enough". Thanks for the continued input.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm more worried about age & UV damage to plastic than heat & abuse.

Politics is War by Other Means
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
What were the old triangle handguards made out of?

I am MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kwg020

kwg
$#&@&!, Yes, westbound!

Twenty miles, ten east, ten back to get to zero! Dambit! LOL, had to do that another time too!

Very conservative today. Got a bench block, vise block, various swabs, an Oops kit and a used single - shot 12ga. They had SR, SRM, SP, SPM primers and a few powders of interest. Sigh. I could easily dump ten of Gs there on shop goodies and toys! Walked away from a clean 870 twenty gauge for $280. Of interest, Trijicon Riflescopes made in Japan, FM9 forward Charging 9mm carbine, cool handguards. Oh boy, I am a fan.

Don't know the limits of your travels, can't imagine you can avoid Chitcago,
I was always afraid of putting something in a truck I would have to
explain. But, I started here in PA, so it was common to go North or east/southeast of here. Including Canuckistan. Accidently took some
44 mag ammo up there once. Like to poop myself sitting at a Toronto dock and finding them. If searched, that wouldn't have went well.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Those are some tough hand guards. But, it appears they get brittle with age based on some conversations I have read and my own observations. Then again, some of those hand guards are 60 plus years old. I don't know the plastic they are made of.

kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 09/25/22.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Egg shells…

The round Colt hand guards are about as rough as they come.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TWR
Egg shells…

The round Colt hand guards are about as rough as they come.
True.

kwg

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
The first ones were Bakelite weren't they?

The triangle ones must not have been Bakelite.

I am MAGA.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The only triangle hand guards I had were Colt and if they weren’t pinching you, the corners were in a race to break off under the delta ring.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I'm more worried about age & UV damage to plastic than heat & abuse.
UVs forsure. It's crazy how quickly some materials degrade.

Aluminum handguard is easy. I have a few tubes that are seriously burly.

How's about something like the CAR-15 aluminum buttstock?

BTW, what's the most corrosion-resist/longest lasting spring option? Recoil and otherwise.

Again, not trying to be too far out. Anything else for longevity on the wastelands? eek

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A few grip options, although the slickside by Guntec is disconnected

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 09/25/22.

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
At Brownells yesterday there was a lightly used Colt M4 with fancy DD overmolded furniture. $990

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
In a heat torture test, the metal will outlast the polymer. That said, I have some of each and I'm fine with the polymer really. It's been around for a while and is pretty durable.

I mean, If I'm in some sh.it where I'm burning down my polymer handguards, chances are I'm not coming out alive anyways. Hell, I doubt I would even be carrying enough ammo to really burn it down like that.

Back in El Salvador we had A1's. We got them pretty darn hot in some training ranges doing full auto stuff. So hot you could barely hold onto them. They lived through it just fine. Old school triangle handguards.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I did assemble an upper with heat in mind. It is a BCM upper with the pinned/welded 14.5" SOCOM barrel, chrome-lined 1/7 twist. I put the Troy handguards on it. It makes a fairly solid little package.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 70 invisible), 2,635 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,932
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.