Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
johno Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
looking at the original photo on the dealers ad looks like 20" I will see if I can lift that photo and post it, that one has some condition Roy nice rifle

Norm I will feel more comfortable when it arrives but Thursday was a public holiday mourning day the Queen then Friday was also grand final parade for football. No country in the world can come up with more b.s. holidays that Australia so it get posted on Monday

Johno

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by johno
looking at the original photo on the dealers ad looks like 20" I will see if I can lift that photo and post it, that one has some condition Roy nice rifle

Norm I will feel more comfortable when it arrives but Thursday was a public holiday mourning day the Queen then Friday was also grand final parade for football. No country in the world can come up with more b.s. holidays that Australia so it get posted on Monday

Johno

Canada is bad for Stat holidays , 13 a year now,, employees love them employers not so much

paying 2--10--20---100 plus people for doing nothing for 2 weeks a year over and above holiday pay

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

J
johno Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Same here in my state Norm 13, no doubt our leftist state government will come up with some new ones.

Johno

J
johno Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Fellas got to check my 99E today at my gun dealers, still awaiting permit to acquire don't ask its just a convoluted complicated system we in lefty land have to live with

Its far better than the photos, all numbers match looks like its just sat in a cupboard for many years i'm really happy. Bore looks very dark until I get some solvent into it I wont know how good or bad it is

Johno

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Awesome!

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

J
johno Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
https://www.ozgunsales.com/listing/114180/savage_mod_1899_lever_action_22hp_1924_carbine.html

Fellas another one popped up on a used gun sire here looks to have stock re finish & cold blue but check out the left side of the fore end where it meets the receiver you see that little piece of wood that has been removed? well mine is identical I thought it was chip but they are exactly the same I notice the two posted by other members here do not have that, any thoughts?

Johno

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I see that corner piece missing on a bunch of 99’s and 1899’s with refinished stocks, and I’ve never figured out why.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I wouldn’t have thought yours was refinished from the pics. Yours might just be damage somehow?

J
johno Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Ive really looked at mine closely Rory and i'm sure its original every angle sharp on the area around the receiver. Probably a coincidence or I wonder if it goes back to when they carried on the sheep & cattle stations in a certain way that caused the wood to catch on something in that area

Johno

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun
I see that corner piece missing on a bunch of 99’s and 1899’s with refinished stocks, and I’ve never figured out why.

I've seen those corner pieces missing as well. Never thought much about it until mentioned.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B3

J
johno Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
These are only on the left side right side is fine that's why i'm thinking saddle bag or some other bag or container maybe in a wagon or truck, 1929's wouldn't be many trucks out back mostly wagons and spring carts.

Things like this makes you wish you could ask one of those old grey beards yes?

Johno

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's a thin piece of wood, yours might have gotten damaged and the owner just removed a bit to clean it up and keep it from getting worse.

Here's another example of one, and this gun is obviously refinished.

[Linked Image from outdoorlife.com]

J
johno Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
mine looks a cleaner removal Rory but note yours is on the left side also.

Many years ago in my youth, black & white tv days we had a US physics professor who had a show on tv and he was always asking the question of his assistant

"why is it so Mr Anderson, why is it so?" so why is it so Mr Calhoun? lol

Johno

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've seen it on both sides of the receiver - usually I see both sides that way since they are trying to make them match when refinishing it. Always wondered how they damaged it in the first place, asked a couple folks about it and nobody has ever really had an answer.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I pulled that chip off once just wiping the gun down with a rag. Snagged on the corner because I was rubbing it against the sharp corner and caught it. You have to be really careful if you have the forearm off and are refinishing, sanding, or wiping it down to always go with the grain and never against that sharp corner. I suspect most of them got snagged while the forearm was off the rifle. Real easy to do if you don't know.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I broke a corner off. The forearm hadn't been removed in years and was stuck to the barrel. When it released the corner did not.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
A High Power I still regret selling !

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've repaired more than a couple of those broken corners. It's a ticklish operation, beveling the broken area and creating a clean flat (but very thin) surface upon which to epoxy a dutchman of similar grain , and then carefully/gingerly filing/sanding to shape. Spotting in the finish can be a challenge also. If done right it should pass the two foot test.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
johno Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Gary when I picked the rifle up from my dealers and noticed the chip I asked if the had any old shot gun stocks and lucked into an old H&R my thoughts were to use a piece off the flats were it slips over the action being old and oily it is a close match, then I decided the chip looks factory finish so I leave it alone lol

Johno

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good to know you're still out and about and shooting 99s. Take care John.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (7887mm08, 44mc, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 35, 11 invisible), 1,497 guests, and 787 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,565
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.