Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I picked up a new 84L Subalpine 30-06 yesterday and am wondering if there are any alternatives to Talley LW's. I do not want a rail. TIA.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
BP-B6

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never heard of an 84L. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The DD's are a good choice and always seem to stay put but I would rather have something on a Weaver-style base. Doubt that it would work any better for fishing though. GD

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've only used them on 84M's but Warne 2 piece bases with Warne Mt Tech 30mm lows have become my preference. Should be noted that the bases are weaver width....and the Mt Tech's mate well with them.

https://warnescopemounts.com/m889-843m-kimber-m84-with-8-40-screws-matte/

https://warnescopemounts.com/7213m-warne-mountain-tech-30mm-low-matte-rings/

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ed, last time I used something other than Talley's, I used Warne steel Weaver-style bases with Burris Zee's in low. Worked great as I was looking to add a bit of weight to the 300 WSM. Must have been over 12 years ago. I've used something like 30 pairs of Talley's with no problem, but I do lap them and use a torque wrench rather that making them Neanderthal tight.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've only had (8) sets of LW's puke on me and I don't know anyone who Hunts/Shoots a smidge,that hasn't puked a set. I realize that ain't apples to apples,because Bradgelina has never even shot 8rds by herself,in a year. Hint.

Don't forget to lap them Reupolds in! Hint.

To the chagrin of Crying Karens eveywhere,Hay Bales and High Heels ain't that tough on Riggin'. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stick...TFF

The turrets do make nice handle for lapping..

Yeah. Leupis track like Stevie Wonder on a blood trail.

All over the phuuucking place ...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've been happy with my DD. Zero issues but also - the rifle leads an easy whitetail life in MI.

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You boys sure are hard on Reupold,Hay Bales and High Heels. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I appreciate the replies gents. A forum member offered a set of new Leupold Back Country rings dirt cheap. They are mediums (Leupold does not make lows) so we shall see. I have Talley LW's on my Montana and they have been just fine installed as Brad does his.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m happy with filed Warne Maxima bases and Burris XTR Sig rings.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yes, Warne steel bases and Mtn Tech rings. Many other good US Made rings too.

Looks like you're set with the Leupolds...

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I do wish that Warne offered Maxima's in 1913,for more than a few flavors. No thang as mentioned,to open 'em up same and Signature's with 40 MOA added to the equation,only sweetens the pot. Hint.

While the Burris Zee's are steaming piles of fhuqking schit,the Signature tend to be robust +P+. Hint.

Just saying.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...................

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Talley bases and split rings.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never had a issue with the Redfield or Leupold base/rings with the windage adjustable screws. I have them on two Kimbers now. Aligned windage so cross hairs start out centered in the tube.
Ring height choices to allow scope mounted as low as practical.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Talley’s don’t turn my crank much…but to each his own. They do work. Warne is what I’d prefer but they do weigh more than the Talley’s.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Now as far as EPIC Bottom Of The Fhuqking Barrel Dog Schit Mounting "Systems" go,LW's are assuredly a Train Wreck,Burris Zee's are HILARIOUS,Millett Angle Loc's akin to same and STD's an Absolute Fhuqking Joke. I've puked multiples of each,but admittedly High Heels and Haybales ain't my gig and Safe Queens are of less than ZERO fhuqking interest to me. Hint.

It's never been difficult to cypher who shoots and who don't,if only as per always...Spent Primers remain The SUPREME Tutorial. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been slowly changing over to the Warne Weaver style rings, Burris Tactical bases Stick led me to, and other of that style including Picatinny bases on many of my rifles just because I feel they are a lot more secure and lock up is substantial. I've also gone to more substantial rings after watching what works and I have much fewer scope issues these days. I've had too many Leupold and Redfield STD with rear windage screws slip or have the screws come loose or break to trust them on anything that matters. I've tried a few of the Burris Zees and I just can't get a warm and fuzzy for them. They just seem like a child's toy once you've had a substantial base and ring combo on a rifle you trust explicitly....

I have to laugh like most of you when Stick throws his stuff around, in creeks, and across the ground- but he tests his stuff like none of us would dare to in most cases. You don't see his scopes falling off or even getting out of adjustment since very early in his testing . If he says it works it probably does...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shooting day in and day out,will learn a guy something. Especially when one's vocation,entails said wares being in tow. Nice to shoot before,during and after work,with reloading equipment by the side. Hint.

Schit happens and that's part of the fun. When said events repeat,they become trends. Add some like minded individuals along the way and some good R&D happens by literal default. I've never met anyone who likes their schit to puke,so there's more than a few MAINSTAYS,established along the way. Few could even begin to grasp the volume or the rigors associated and I'm pretty certain I was just having fun and still am. That to the chagrin of Crying Karen Melting Snowflakes the World over. Hint.

I REALLY enjoy,"heart endorsements" by folks who haven't whistled halfa fhuqking box of ammo through said wares and are never gonna complete same. MUCH of Mechnical Integrity is easy to see,with even a casual glance. Then are some wares which make senses,but the Metallurgy is compromised,which is something that must be experienced and can't be discerned visually. My favorite is the High Pitched Whining High Heel Gang,crying "foul!" as their Do Nothing Dumbfhuqktitude is slapped upside their pointy heads. Key is to keep lotsa slack rope available and welcome all to partake,but for "some" reason,it just don't ever go the way they "think". Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

I've flogged on more than a few Montuckies and have shot more than a few barrels outta same,mainly because I LOVE 'em. They are dirty duty ruggedly reliable platforms,but due their very nature,are oft saddled with mounting systems and glass that CAN'T fhuqking work. The Paper Hat Brigade might get that halfa box of ammo out of same,over the course of years and "think" they've Lightning in a bottle,but that ain't how the chips fall. If only for starters. Pardon decades of that,on every outing. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!............

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I’ve been thinking about this thread and mounts for Kimber rifles. Seeing Big Sticks experience with LW’s. I have two with Talley LW’s and thought they could stay for now. Have to scope my 223 Montana.

Except, took out my 84L classic 30-06, scope in LW’s, this afternoon after cleaning a few rifles I have been away with .. last time I shot it was way off what was sighted in a couple years ago, and with wet conditions and Covid haven’t shot it until a month ago at range and had to adjust scope. Today I noticed front right mount had fractured top ring right across both ring screws! Bugger.

So now probably Burris Signatures. Learnt the hard way but at least wasn’t my 6.5CM Hunter with Talley LW’s I was away hunting with.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
625 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 1badf350, 57 invisible), 2,853 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,130
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.