Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
If everybody in Floriduh turned their butt toward Ian and farted at the same time he would run off somewhere else. Mebbe NOLA?

NOLA could use a good douche every 5 years or so.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
just because a hurricane with a path like Ian is rare, that does not mean you should just sit back and laugh at it. There are a LOT of variables with a tropical system, and it can/does kill a lot of folks every year. If your preps are in order, and you are not in the major storm surge path, most of the time you will be ok. Prudence and caution are always in order.

Sam......

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Hurricanes and tropical storms can be bad news. I have seen what they tear up. When people decide to gamble and ride one out and encounter a 3 or stronger that is their one time to do it. Most of the guys I work with live on the gulf coast. Several stayed home in strong storms and all say they will never do it again after sitting in their home listening to the roof blowing off and the wind blowing for several hours as it rains 2 or 3 feet. One guy I worked with years ago had to climb up in his attic and use a hatchet to cut a hole in his roof to escape the water. He and his son were sitting on the peak of his roof when a boat came and rescued them.
If you wait to long to leave you can get trapped on the highway with nowhere to go and no fuel. All the motels sold out for 500 miles.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would be very surprised if we have no loss of life with this one.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Hawk, by the time it gets to us, it'll be tropical storm winds at worst. 30-45 winds gusts to 60. LOTS of rain though.
Yeah, that's typically what happens. Landfall slows it down, and since I'm as inland as you can get in Florida, it's pretty slow by the time it gets here, at least as tropical storms go. Although we've had plenty of them that take trees down.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wish I had taken a wait and see attitude with it in the beginning rather than naysaying it - it is much much stronger than was anticipated.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Geno67
Originally Posted by JeffA
Our high tide is off this evening.

We should have had a 1.7 peaking at 5:20.
We got more like a 2.2 and it held an extra hour before it started draining back.

We haven't had any wind to account for that.

It's gotta be pressure out over the gulf.

Are you accounting for king tides?

Ian was a major last night at 11 eastern. Probably intensify for 24 hours or so. Pay attention. Hoping it goes south of Tampa and will mitigate the surge/freshwater flooding by blowing the opposite direction - out to sea.

Idunno, probably just a fluke created by some offshore winds we weren't having along the coast lines.

Everything was back to normal with this mornings high tide which according to my tide charts was suppose to be a tad higher than last night's.

Normally irregularities like that are wind driven and accumulate growing higher and higher with each tide until the wind lays down and allows the build up of water in the bays to flow back.
It can take a few days for all the build up to completely drain out and get back to normal again.

Living behind all these barrier islands is grand for the surges they hold back but once it reaches full flood inside the islands it holds and takes some time drain.

[Linked Image from images.squarespace-cdn.com]

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Hawk, by the time it gets to us, it'll be tropical storm winds at worst. 30-45 winds gusts to 60. LOTS of rain though.
Yeah, that's typically what happens. Landfall slows it down, and since I'm as inland as you can get in Florida, it's pretty slow by the time it gets here, at least as tropical storms go. Although we've had plenty of them that take trees down.

Also, my house is just about on the peak of a hill, i.e., the street depresses downwards to both the east and the west of me, so water tends to flow to my east and west, and cannot much accumulate where my house is.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Our high tide is off this evening.

We should have had a 1.7 peaking at 5:20.
We got more like a 2.2 and it held an extra hour before it started draining back.

We haven't had any wind to account for that.

It's gotta be pressure out over the gulf.

Are you accounting for king tides?

Ian was a major last night at 11 eastern. Probably intensify for 24 hours or so. Pay attention. Hoping it goes south of Tampa and will mitigate the surge/freshwater flooding by blowing the opposite direction - out to sea.

Idunno, probably just a fluke created by some offshore winds we weren't having along the coast lines.

Everything was back to normal with this mornings high tide which according to my tide charts was suppose to be a tad higher than last night's.

Normally irregularities like that are wind driven and accumulate growing higher and higher with each tide until the wind lays down and allows the build up of water in the bays to flow back.
It can take a few days for all the build up to completely drain out and get back to normal again.

Living behind all these barrier islands is grand for the surges they hold back but once it reaches full flood inside the islands it holds and takes some time drain.

[Linked Image from images.squarespace-cdn.com]

Yes it does. I hope you guys don't have any damage.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it hits as a 2+, watch for tornados far inland. Just another fun feature of big hurricanes.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
If it hits as a 2+, watch for tornados far inland. Just another fun feature of big hurricanes.

If it does as forecasted it'll reach 4 and come ashore as a 3. Unfortunately, it has outperformed expectations so far. The tornadoes associated with them spin up so quickly there's not much if any time to prepare so it's a headache for a while.

Edit: No significant impacts from land interaction are evident in the latest recon and radar presentation. Assuming it continues to travel along bathtub temperature waters, it’s becoming more and more likely that C4 can be achieved later today.

Double edit: Eyewall has reached water again.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would be very surprised if we have no loss of life with this one.

Yep, if it hits the Tampa Bay area with half the related surge predicted there's gonna be a lot of folks flooding that have never experienced that before.

Talking to a few down there in A and B flood zones that are blowing off the evacuation orders and staying put.

My 87 year old mother is one of them and she's right on the bay at about 7ft above sea-level.

All in all they probably will be fine if they stay put.

If mom takes a couple feet of water in the house she could just climb up in bed and take a nap until it recedes.

It's that last minute frantic move of attempting to escape once the flooding starts that'll get um.

They just won't realize the force that moving water has until they get out in it, knee deep is one thing but go in up to your waist and you're screwed. Notta chance of being able to remain standing even for the young and able.

I've been out in it rescuing boats that were drifting away and the like. You gotta swim for it, in the direction it wants you to go and aim for the first suitable safe spot you can get to.

It's not for the old or the panicking type.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The wife and I were heading to Central Florida for my grandsons 10th BD Thursday. Scrapped those plans. Bummer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And water that was fine to walk or wade through an hour or even minutes before will change direction/speed/volume and most people have no understanding of this.

Edit: At the ongoing gov's news conference the FL Emerg. Mgmt director said the NHC just told him they now forecast a landfall near Venice late Wed afternoon with 125mph winds.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Wikipedia

Because of tremendous population growth and coastal development in the century since the last hurricane landfall combined with rising sea levels due to climate change, the Tampa Bay Area is considered one of the most vulnerable regions in the world to a direct hit from a major storm.[61]

And there you have it. Climate Change and rising sea levels. I'm just curious as to how much the sea levels have risen in the past 100 years.

P.S. - I hope all y'all stay safe down there. I hope your schit don't get too tore up. I've only been in hurricane conditions once in my life and it was a bit worrisome. It just went on and on for hours and seemed like it wouldn't end.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Safe haven for our Floridian friends. Seems these big storms are becoming a regular occurrence for you. I have a cousin and his wife who retired to Naples just five or six years ago now. They have fled north a couple times already. Looks like the worst will probably be a bit north of them now.

At least with our tornados, if in a vehicle, you can outmaneuver it in just a couple miles or so. Tornados vs hurricanes — bullet vs shot shell load.

Again, stay safe.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The landfall "talk" seems to be more and more Sarasota'ish. So Destin/Ft Walton looks to be in the clear.

Last edited by STRSWilson; 09/27/22.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Whatever the wind does, Ian will be a HUGE water event, storm surge, high tides and lots of rain, maybe for days.
Been thru a lot of these and this one will be a bad one.

Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 61 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,211
Posts18,466,230
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.