Campfire Member
B
Are they worth the money ?

BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Tough question! I really like the ones I have, but won’t be buying any more most likely. Feel like they have priced out of range of most folks (to be clear, I can afford to buy ‘em, but I don’t feel they are worth the current asking price).

C
C
Originally Posted by TXRam
Tough question! I really like the ones I have, but won’t be buying any more most likely. Feel like they have priced out of range of most folks (to be clear, I can afford to buy ‘em, but I don’t feel they are worth the current asking price).

+1

Have them on all of my scopes and really like them. Usually only buy them when I find them on sale/clearance.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I feel they are over priced, but one rifle/scope combo didn't allow clearance for Butler Creek caps. Bought the Alumina and really liked them. Now all my higher end rifles have Alumina caps. Lesser end rifles have Butler Creek.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Yes.

If you are going to run Leupold scopes, they are fantastic.

But, I've had good service from other brands of flip open caps, too. The Element series from BC has been great for me.

I did bend a front Alumina cover that flipped open while I was crawling to get closer to a group of antelope. It wasn't usable after that. A cheap BC would've bent but still done it's job. Don't run many Leupolds these days, but the ones I do have the Alumina caps on.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have this same situation. Scope is to close for butler creeks. Anyone know what size alumina caps I need for a 3-15 VX 5.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have never damaged one, other than losing the little gold medallion out of the center of one. Leupold had one in the mail the day I called. Super glue gel had it back on pronto.
Not sure if their warranty covers the lens covers or not. Probably does though at that price.

For a VX-5HD, you would need the larger eyepiece size (for VX-5HD, and VX-6HD scopes), and whatever size objective your scope is (44 or 50 probably).

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
They don't fit good scopes....

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have a set on one scope and like them. Yes, pricey, but they are a clean look. I had an objective cover stop "locking" back and Leupold replaced it under warranty. I have a couple sets of Butler Creek caps but they can...and I have had them come off in the field.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MannMade82
I have a set on one scope and like them. Yes, pricey, but they are a clean look. I had an objective cover stop "locking" back and Leupold replaced it under warranty. I have a couple sets of Butler Creek caps but they can...and I have had them come off in the field.

My brother is expert at losing Butler Creek caps. It’s fruitless for him to use them, he’s actually given up.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by AB2506

My brother is expert at losing Butler Creek caps. It’s fruitless for him to use them, he’s actually given up.

How many do you have to loose before you just tape them on?

In any case, the newer Element series seals up nice a dcwint slide off on thier own.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Yes … couple wraps of electrical tape stops that coming off issue.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Tig weld?

😳😂🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Tig weld?

😳😂🦫
😂
That too, but it plays hell on the BC cheap plastic!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by huntsman22
They don't fit good scopes....

This is their real weakness.

Aadamount for the win.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bmet

Been awhile since I have used Leupo scopes or Aluminas, but when I did I had the magnets come out and the objective cover would close under recoil if not folded all the way back on at least one rifle. I liked the Alumina design in theory but was disappointed in the end. Then I went away from Leupo and haven't thought about Alumina since.

Last edited by 4th_point; 09/25/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Starbuck
Originally Posted by AB2506

How many do you have to loose before you just tape them on?

In any case, the newer Element series seals up nice a dcwint slide off on thier own.

On some issues some people are slow learners. That being said, I believe he did try tape and still lost caps.

We mostly spot and stalk. He is one of those guys who can/will throw his pack on and sling his rifle over his shoulder and walk for miles and hours. It's the pack or vegetation that cause the Butler Creeks to come off.

He says he once read about elite soldiers running for a hundred steps and then walking for a hundred steps. This enables them to go pretty fast and have endurance. So he tried it and uses that technique when he wants to cover ground. I suspect the running with the rifle interacting against the pack pulls the caps off. Whatever, his choice. Still my best hunting partner.

Last edited by AB2506; 09/26/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by bmet

Been awhile since I have used Leupo scopes or Aluminas, but when I did I had the magnets come out and the objective cover would close under recoil if not folded all the way back on at least one rifle. I liked the Alumina design in theory but was disappointed in the end. Then I went away from Leupo and haven't thought about Alumina since.

I have Alumina caps on the scope on my 375H&H and have not had the objective close.

I'm curious about what caliber and rifle you were shooting that caused the objective cover to close.

If I had to speculate, it would be a big, fast 300, possibly in a light rifle?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A relatively light 375 Ruger with 260gr NAB at ~2900 FPS, if I recall correctly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4th_point
A relatively light 375 Ruger with 260gr NAB at ~2900 FPS, if I recall correctly.

That could do it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Barska. You good.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have them on one scope. I like them ok. Not worth the money in my opinion.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hard to buy Aluminas at same or more expense the Aadland

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had them on a couple 2.5-8x36 scopes. I thought they looked nice but were an unneccessary luxury. I've had good luck with Butler Creeks for many years.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I own one pair, they are very nice, they look very slick but they aren’t worth the money they ask for them. I don’t even bother with butler creeks anymore. I broke off the flip caps too many times on rough terrain etc when the caps flip up and I don’t notice until the cap is twisted. I use cheap Allen company neoprene scope covers when hunting now. I haven’t encountered a situation yet where I couldn’t get the cover off quickly. Other than dogging or still hunting rifles, but those are iron site or red dot guns anyway so no caps!

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I prefer a $20 neoprene cover. Just as quick to take off as flipping covers. Just my .02.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just like Rubber Bikinis

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 10/02/22.
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 10/02/22.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
840 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1234, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 77 invisible), 3,273 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,712
Posts18,400,283
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.