Hop To
Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Nothing to worry about until Cantore shows up 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
This year they had to cram alla that propaganda into just one storm! laugh

Perfect summary.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It'll be interesting to watch this play out. I really hope it completely fizzles out.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have been through more tropical storms than most, having lived in FL for over 70 years. I keep an eye out, and can read between the lines. National Hurricane Center info is usually reasonably accurate.
I rarely have to do more than top off the vehicle tanks, as my preps are kept up with all year long. Ian might well be a thumper. I am staying at our waterfront Miami condo now, and will remain here until next weekend when whatever Ian turns out to be has moved on into Georgia. Then I will head back to North FL and fix whatever needs fixing.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Since this year was suppose to be a major hurricane season, because of Climate Change..... does that mean if it's not a major hurricane season, that there is no Climate Change?

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In the early years, 60s, early to mid 70s Hurricane Season was way different.

There wasn't the media hype, we had 3 major TV channels, none of which broadcasted 24hrs. some time after the news and the late show they went off the air for the night, it was just the 'ant races' after that.

There were many things we did if it appeared a storm may hit close by.

The big things were putting tape on the windows and filling the bathtub with water.

We lived on the beach, starting when I was 4 years old.
Someone inland would be hosting a 'Hurricane Party', what the hell happened to Hurricane Parties??, nobody has them anymore.

Mom and Dad would get us in the car, we'd go inland and join a dozen other families at someone's home and our parents would drink all night. Us younger kids just made the best of it and hung out with the other kids.

There was no all night TV drama showing blow by blow every tree that might fall over or every car some idiot left where it'd flood.

Everybody would just get up in the morning, return to their residences and start cleaning up and doing needed repairs.

As we progressed into our teens we no longer were required to tag along with mom and dad to thier friends Parties.

We'd be left at home with a list of dos and don'ts.

In short the rules were pretty much, if it gets bad stay in the house.

We looked forward to this, it was fun, we'd have huge waves which is rare along Florida's gulf coast.

Being well trained by our parents, we had Parties of our own.
All the beach kids would get together at whomever home had the most available booze and we had a blast.

We'd take our surf boards and canoes out on the beach and ride those big waves, it was great!

We'd go out at the peak of the storm and watch all the crap people failed to secure blow away. Then came the eerie dead calm as the eye of the Hurricane passed over us. It wouldn't go long and the winds would be back and everything would start blowing around again.

I think kids were smarter back then, you had to know where not to stand while out in those winds. It doesn't take all that much to realize the neighbors lawn chairs were sure to come blowing by and obviously stay clear of any tree that might fall.

If the water got high enough to come in the house, you'd go upstairs, duh.

I don't recall one injury, ever, with my acquaintances.
But we'd be somewhat inebriated so we had that going for us.

The day after the storm they'd bring bulldozers down the roads and push the sand and fallen trees away and residents would start the cleanup, dry out process.

It wasn't a big deal, it was life on the beach.

I can't recall a single home along the beach that didn't have bulging baseboards, sagging cabinet bottoms and maybe some peeling paint on the lower walls from previous storm water damage covered up by multiple layers of thick paint.

It's crazy today how FEMA comes rushing in shelling out millions of dollars to repair such damage just so it can get all f'ed up in the next storm..

As we progressed into out later teens we'd get Hurricane related jobs, like taking larger boats offshore to ride out these storms.
They couldn't leave these boats tied to their docks and seawalls or they'd be beaten to death by the winds and waves.

Those jobs also required a lot of booze, it didn't take all that much effort to get a 40 footer a couple miles offshore and point it into the wind and keep it jogging along there.

The news media has taken all the fun out of Hurricanes and replaced it with dramatic gloom and doom.

History reveals there use to be more hurricane related injuries and deaths during the times I mention, but still they were few.

I never took a direct hit from a Hurricane that was strong enough to level houses, but I evaded a few by less than a 1/4 mile.

I'm sure those historic recorded deaths were the results of the antics I've described here, it's exactly what was going on.

It sure was fun!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I have been through more tropical storms than most, having lived in FL for over 70 years. I keep an eye out, and can read between the lines. National Hurricane Center info is usually reasonably accurate.
I rarely have to do more than top off the vehicle tanks, as my preps are kept up with all year long. Ian might well be a thumper. I am staying at our waterfront Miami condo now, and will remain here until next weekend when whatever Ian turns out to be has moved on into Georgia. Then I will head back to North FL and fix whatever needs fixing.

Good to know.

LOL

Bumbling fugking idiot.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So it begins, this one is first to go.

[Linked Image]

Boats are outta the water and in dry storage.

This monstrosity is staying, it's sorta high, considering.
And it's insured to the hilt.

[Linked Image]

This one's staying too, been "gonna restore it one day" for a few years now, still will if it don't float away.

[Linked Image]

Busy shuffling rigs off the island, gas jumped a dime last night on regular ($3.39 now) but they ain't got none, sold it all yesterday.

Premium only this morning @ $4.09 gal. Not sure how much they were selling it for 24hrs ago.

Trailer loads of toys heading off the islands all morning, side by sides, quads, dirt bikes.
Cargo trailers loaded with household belongings to follow.
Typically see that in the after work hours a day or two prior to predicted landfall.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Damn Jeff.

You got a lot of schit.

Hope everything is OK out your way.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by hanco
Hurricanes cause a media frenzy. The weather channel is the worst

Drama sells.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Houston_2
Originally Posted by hanco
Hurricanes cause a media frenzy. The weather channel is the worst

Drama sells.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Damn Jeff.

You got a lot of schit.

Hope everything is OK out your way.

We'll be fine, when you're living at 2-3 feet above sea-level this becomes routine. We'll get high water for sure unless it hits down south.

Gotta parcel of land 30 miles inland I use just for this purpose.
I'm done, shy one pickup to move.

Once I fire up my other motorhome to move it, I very well may end up in the Appalachians for the fall color change.

That'll be a last minute decision, just an option I'm entertaining.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by JeffA
[Linked Image]

Those are worth CRAZY MONEY...

Sold a 1956 Silver Streak to a guy in England for an ABSURD AMOUNT. It was an absolute POS.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Now saying Category 4 depending on who is on at the moment.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
remember the beverly hillbillies episode where Jethro's bachelor pad camper ended up floating in the ocean?

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Fielder's choice. It'll just be a pain in the ass..
[Linked Image from tropicaltidbits.com]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by JeffA
[Linked Image]

Those are worth CRAZY MONEY...

Sold a 1956 Silver Streak to a guy in England for an ABSURD AMOUNT. It was an absolute POS.

I'm waiting for the matching pickup to come along, that'll be my inspiration to begin the restorations.

Gotta have matching tail lights and body side moldings, these things shine right up..

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This one is crazy hard to call. Stupid storm. If it goes 200 miles west it'll fall apart from shear. If it stays up the west coast but offshore could be a really bad scene just due to rainfall flooding and how low everything is. It has the potential to be a cat 4 now if it slots right the right place. Let's hope it hangs a left.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ever since Ian was born, we have been getting a steady wind out of the west. That big low pressure zone in the Caribbean kicks up the wind and that is what dries out our corn and beans while they are in the field. With the price of propane this year any drying time in the field is a huge bonus for those who got a good crop and would otherwise use propane to dry their corn and beans.

All I can say is blow Ian, blow. Let's get that corn and those beans dry.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Buying the stores out ofbottled water? What?. No clean garbage cans and tap water?

Beforehand.

Hell, clean and fill the bathtub, or all those empty wine bottles out back....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

479 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 55 invisible), 2,643 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,946
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.