Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
BSA, you missed the orange dot. Ha ha, good shooting. I will say though that one time I took a shot at 400 yards to confirm zero with my 400 yard aiming point and I hit the center of the orange dot. I decided that it was good to go.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by rufous
BSA, you missed the orange dot. Ha ha, good shooting. I will say though that one time I took a shot at 400 yards to confirm zero with my 400 yard aiming point and I hit the center of the orange dot. I decided that it was good to go.
No you’re suppose to put the orange dot on the paper after you shoot the group smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by smallfry
Originally Posted by rufous
No you’re suppose to put the orange dot on the paper after you shoot the group smile

Ha ha. You both make great points... I'm going to be sending some 175 LRX downrange with one of my 300WBY's today. Hopefully it still shoots good in the new stock.. If it does, I'll test at 2,3 and 400 yards..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Plugged a griz on Wed night at 11:30 pm at 14 paces, Barnes 190 gr LRX bullet, 300 RUM

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have a couple boxes of Barnes LR .30-06 ammo with 175 gr LRX and prelim testing shows they shoot well. I’ve been running the 168 TTSX in my .300 Wby but might bump up to the 175 LRX if they outshoot the 168 TTSX.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by brinky72
It’s been awhile since I’ve used Barnes bullets. Since the blue XLC’s in fact. Standard operating procedure was about 30-50 thousandths off the lands for best accuracy. Is that still holding true with them?

From the Barnes Bullet website.....

WHERE DO I SEAT THE TSX, TIPPED TSX AND LRX BULLETS?
When loading a Barnes TSX, Tipped TSX or LRX bullet, your rifle may prefer a bullet jump of anywhere between .050” up to .250” or more. This distance off the lands (rifling), aka “jump” may be limited to the rifles throat length, magazine length and bullet length.

When selecting the cartridge overall length (COAL) we recommend starting with a minimum “jump” of .050” off of the lands. You can test different seating depths and find a “sweet spot” that your particular firearm prefers. We suggest working in at least .025” increments as follows seating the bullet deeper to allow a further jump. Your test plan could look something like this:

1st group- .050” jump
2nd group- .075” jump
3rd group- .100” jump
4th group- .125” jump
5th group- .150“ jump
6th group- * see below

This length can be determined by using a “Stoney Point Gauge” or other methods. You do not have to seat the bullet at, or on one of the cannelure rings. Remember there are many factors that may control or limit the seating depth for your application. You may find that you need to start at around 0.150” off the lands and are not able to get any closer due to limiting factors including proper neck tension and magazine length.

*In rifles that have long throats you may be limited on how close you are able to get the bullet to the lands. In these instances, it is not uncommon to find the best accuracy with a jump of .200” or more.

This jump may possibly stay the same regardless of powder or charge weight within a given rifle. If preferred accuracy is not obtained, we certainly recommend trying another powder, for the powder type and charge greatly affects the overall accuracy of each individual firearm.

FYI- An accurate load requires a bullet with the proper consistent case neck tension which leads to more constant pressures and velocities.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GSSP
It’s been awhile since I’ve used Barnes bullets. Since the blue XLC’s in fact. Standard operating procedure was about 30-50 thousandths off the lands for best accuracy. Is that still holding true with them?

When loading a Barnes TSX, Tipped TSX or LRX bullet, your rifle may prefer a bullet jump of anywhere between .050” up to .250” or more. This distance off the lands (rifling), aka “jump” may be limited to the rifles throat length, magazine length and bullet length.

When selecting the cartridge overall length (COAL) we recommend starting with a minimum “jump” of .050” off of the lands. You can test different seating depths and find a “sweet spot” that your particular firearm prefers. We suggest working in at least .025” increments as follows seating the bullet deeper to allow a further jump. Your test plan could look something like this:

1st group- .050” jump
2nd group- .075” jump
3rd group- .100” jump
4th group- .125” jump
5th group- .150“ jump
6th group- * see below

This length can be determined by using a “Stoney Point Gauge” or other methods. You do not have to seat the bullet at, or on one of the cannelure rings. Remember there are many factors that may control or limit the seating depth for your application. You may find that you need to start at around 0.150” off the lands and are not able to get any closer due to limiting factors including proper neck tension and magazine length.

*In rifles that have long throats you may be limited on how close you are able to get the bullet to the lands. In these instances, it is not uncommon to find the best accuracy with a jump of .200” or more.

This jump may possibly stay the same regardless of powder or charge weight within a given rifle. If preferred accuracy is not obtained, we certainly recommend trying another powder, for the powder type and charge greatly affects the overall accuracy of each individual firearm.

FYI- An accurate load requires a bullet with the proper consistent case neck tension which leads to more constant pressures and velocities.

I remember reading that, but actually got my best accuracy at .025" off the lands on some loads. So, my test plan generally starts at .025" off.. Sorry Barnes..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Plugged a griz on Wed night at 11:30 pm at 14 paces, Barnes 190 gr LRX bullet, 300 RUM

Jeepers! I'm green with envy. At 14 paces you gave him the "full benefit" of that load. Do a post mortem?

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Swamplord

Gotta Love that!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This bull actually went about 100 yards. Hit from 100 yards.
30-06 at 2800 with the 175 LRX. That is the exit.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by GSSP

1st group- .050” jump
2nd group- .075” jump
3rd group- .100” jump
4th group- .125” jump
5th group- .150“ jump
6th group- * see below

I remember reading that, but actually got my best accuracy at .025" off the lands on some loads. So, my test plan generally starts at .025" off.. Sorry Barnes..

It can happen. Rare....but can happen.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
If I remember correctly my 06 liked the 150 XLC ‘s about thirty thousandths off the lands. That rifle would put three into one ragged hole at 100 yards with 53 grains of 4064.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Finally had the time to shoot my 300 WM. I loaded up the old 150 XLC’s at .050” off the lands like my old 06 load. The shot very well at 100. The 175 LRX’s need a little tweaking. It likes about .5 grain off max of RL 26 but I’m getting two touching and one out about a half inch or so at the three o clock. This was consistent with all the charge weights as all were the same distance from the lands. So I’m pretty certain it’s going to need a tweak on the seating depth.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
They were.050” from the lands like the 150’s. I’ll try .030” and .070” and perhaps deeper to see which direction shows improvement.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Finally had the time to shoot my 300 WM. I loaded up the old 150 XLC’s at .050” off the lands like my old 06 load. The shot very well at 100. The 175 LRX’s need a little tweaking. It likes about .5 grain off max of RL 26 but I’m getting two touching and one out about a half inch or so at the three o clock. This was consistent with all the charge weights as all were the same distance from the lands. So I’m pretty certain it’s going to need a tweak on the seating depth.

Sounds like you know what you are doing brinky. Usually the consensus is to seat deeper if your load is double grouping. Its usually easier to see true double grouping with a 5 shot group though. I think sometimes, with me, it comes down to focus. I'll give you an example and I'll use my 300wby magnum with the 175 LRX, since that may be the closest thing I have to compare to your 300 winny load. Here's a target I shot a couple years back now, showing how I was lazy on the first group (3 shot group on the left) and then made a scope adjustment and told myself to shoot better on the second group:

I like to see those nice equilateral triangle groups too. Now if I lose focus and don't really try hard to shoot a nice group, sometimes it will be 2 in and 1 out. Here's the same rifle and load after I switched stocks:

Now, could I go out tomorrow and put all 3 through the same hole if I really focused on doing that? Maybe/probably. Is it worth fn with the load anymore? Probably not in all honesty.. If you are getting 2 touching and one out by 1/2", that is pretty dang good. Just for chits and giggles, shoot some groups at 400 yards and see how that load does. We strive for perfection and want to wring out every bit of precision we can, but there is a point where we need to draw the line with a hunting rifle and accept it for what it is. Here's the same load fired in a new to me rifle I bought a couple months ago:

That load was worked up in my pre 64, but you can bet your azz it will take any elk at 400 yards. Good enough, done with no load development for that rifle at all... Yes, it's a big group and I don't normally post groups that big, but sometimes you just have to accept that it's good enough and will get the job done.

If it were a competition rifle, yeah I'd be trying to get that group down to 1" at 400, but it's a hunting rifle. I'd call it a day my friend..

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I use the 175 Lrx, and 180 TSx in my Winchester 300 Wsm. I get 3/4” 100 yard groups with the Tsx, the Lrx’s I’m still working on a recipe for accuracy. They both like H4831 and IMR 7828 for accuracy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Started using the LRX a couple years ago. No elk but the 175g LRX shoots great in my 300WM.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Finishing the tuning of 175 LRX in 30-06 at 2900 under 57.5 of H4350 in Lapua brass and a Fed210. Should do the trick wink

Semper Fi

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

5x7 and 5x7 at 339 and 465 yds

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Fotis! I'm torn between wanting to congratulate you and just turning green with envy! ha That's a wonderful sight, a pick-up load of elk! smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (Ashworth, 35, Bigd7378, 7mm_Loco, 11 invisible), 1,413 guests, and 838 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,256
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.