Print Thread
Hop To
O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
I was in a gun shop the other day and it is one where I normally find a gun or two that are worth the money, for sure. I usually dont buy them by try to find someone to take them home. Today it appears that someone had sold a small collection to the store that included 4 Winchester model 12 shotguns, or that was what was remaning. There were 3 12 guage and a 16 guage. The 16 guage had a 28" barrel, a solid rib, the nickel steel barrel and the inside of the action looks like new. The wood is in great shape. It has a few scratches but no nicks or dings that would be tough to fix. Its in great shape. Most of the bluing is very good. There is a little wear on the finish from the slide, but the shotgun is barely used. They were asking $499 and it seemed like a pretty good price for a gun that they dont make anymore, and have not for a quite a while (1950 make). The shotgun is light and it pulls up perfect for me. I think I might even try it out. What are the thoughts on this gun?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In a moment of temporary poverty I sold my 16ga Mdl 12 28" solid matted rib in average condition for $650.00 and have regretted it. $500 is a steal!!! 16s are a nostalgia nut's counterpart to a new puppy.

Buy some Class. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
That is good to hear. I was pretty certain that it was a very good price. 10 - 15 years ago I bought a Model 12 in 12 guage, well used and definately a user... not a safe queen. I paid $350 then. This was much better condition, much less use, with the solid rib and in a 16 guage. I might have to give it a shot this weekend and see if I can get a grouse with it.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
What is it choked?.

Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
What is it choked?.

Mb

It is a full choke, I figured it was pretty standard

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What L2S said . . . snag it and have fun.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I would not buy it cause of the full choke, but you got it at a vg price.

NRA Patron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice snag!
A gun that you can use, and pass down for 500 bones is a good deal

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I think about 80 -85% were full choked. It will shoot high like a trap gun . I bought one like yours in super nice condition a few years back for 500 shot it a season and peddled it for 900...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
I think about 80 -85% were full choked. It will shoot high like a trap gun . I bought one like yours in super nice condition a few years back for 500 shot it a season and peddled it for 900...mb

Thanks for the info. I look forward to trying it out.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by dale06
I would not buy it cause of the full choke, but you got it at a vg price.

I actually like a full choke.

Then again, I hunt with mine. In some of the tallest trees in the Appalachians, so keeping the pattern tight for up to ~40 yards up in the air, is preferred.

Mod chokes just won't cut it for me for how and where I hunt. You may as well just throw a handful of rocks in the air. You'll get about the same results.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Last Win M12 16 gauge I purchased, I walked out the door for a $100 bill.
Rough.
Had a Cutts Comp w/IC tube.
The barrel band that holds the mag tube was held in place with black electrical tape. The clamp was held together with a silver, Phillips head screw!
The gun was solid, but had been used hard and put away wet. Probably 50%/60% bluing/finish.
I bought it for a parts gun to rehab an older M12 16 gauge I had stuck back.

Got it home and stripped the parts and reassembled the older gun.
Wife walks by and sees the remnants of the newer gun.
"Why don't you get the parts and put that one back together?"
The old gun was immediately stripped of salvaged parts, parts ordered to completely assemble both guns, about $180 and now I have two Win M12 16 gauge guns.
One for the oldest kid and one for the youngest kid....and pop got the pleasure of repairing both guns! 😃

The LAST gun I bought was a Remington "Sportsman" 16 gauge that was rescued from a chain pawn shop for a mere $185!
I had the barrel tubed by Briley. Extra Full, Mod and Imp Cyl.

If the gun is as clean as you say it is, $499 may be a tad high, but not out of reason. Go for it!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"... Mod chokes just won't cut it for me for how and where I hunt. You may as well just throw a handful of rocks in the air. You'll get about the same results. ..."

Look up "Briley choke tubes" in Houston, TX.
For a small nominal fee, you can have a shotgun choked however you wish. The sweet thing is, for that "fee" you can have 3 tubes so you can shoot whichever choke you may need. It's like having three of your favorite shotguns.
You can even have "Full" AND "Extra Full" choke tubes.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good deal if the condition is above average. The old Winchester full chokes are most likely extra full with todays good shells. Currently looking at a Model 12 20 gauge that was completely reconditioned by Simmons and is 90+%. $800. Don't need it, but if the guy decides to sell, it will be hard to resist.

Great pumps, however the market for them is limited.

Last edited by battue; 10/14/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Have three Model 12 field guns....they essentially shoot 50/50...

Winchester made a Model 12 Trap version with a higher comb to specifically shoot trap. The field and skeet guns had lower combs to shoot flat.

Last edited by battue; 10/14/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by martinstrummer
"... Mod chokes just won't cut it for me for how and where I hunt. You may as well just throw a handful of rocks in the air. You'll get about the same results. ..."

Look up "Briley choke tubes" in Houston, TX.
For a small nominal fee, you can have a shotgun choked however you wish. The sweet thing is, for that "fee" you can have 3 tubes so you can shoot whichever choke you may need. It's like having three of your favorite shotguns.
You can even have "Full" AND "Extra Full" choke tubes.

Thanks. I looked them up. I think it's $329 for 3 chokes and cutting the barrel.

My main 16ga is a full choke. So, I have no problem with it the way it sits. matter of fact, I prefer to use it.

I have an old Noble pump 16 (montgomery wards special), which has a vari-choke, which is more of a joke. It doesn't matter how tight or loose the constriction is, shoots the same pattern. I would like to get it threaded for chokes, but sadly, the price of having it done, cost more than that old gun is worth.

I had checked the bore constriction in it and had even considered getting a 20 ga choke thread tap and using my lathe to bore out whatever diameter I wanted. But, decided against it. I could have used either a 20 ga open choke to mimick the 16 ga full and even a 20 ga skeet for an XFull turkey choke. Granted that I may have to use my lathe to taper the mouth of the choke so it wouldn't snag the wad.

I could use the lathe to make the choke ID whatever size I wanted it to be. Within reason.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by battue
[quote=Magnum_Bob]

Winchester made a Model 12 Trap version with a higher comb to specifically shoot trap. The field and skeet guns had lower combs to shoot flat.

Had one of those in field grade (there is a "Y" in the S/N) that shot like a dream! IIRC, the "Y" series trap guns were built in like 1974 or 1975

I wanted the shotgun, but the kids wanted biscuits and gravy! 😖 They better be damned glad dad loves them! LOL!

Last edited by MartinStrummer; 10/31/22.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (7mm_Loco, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 35, Akhutr, 7x57Hunter, 8 invisible), 1,533 guests, and 750 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,564
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.