Hop To
#17637591 09/25/22
B
bufaf Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I missed a shot today on a muley doe with my muzzleloader that would have been a chip shot with a modern scope sighted rifle.

And I'm OK with that...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
i had 3 klatches with my flintlock on a bear Thursday. and i am very ok with that! means i can still hunt. the bear was 25 yards, broadside. facing left. klatch!
he turned and took 2 steps, broadside facing right. klatch!
he took 5 steps and stood listening. klatch! he heard, located, saw and departed for the next state! i just sat and giggled. took the Flinter home, pointed it at my 50 yard gong and Blam!. not his day to die.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
i had 3 klatches with my flintlock on a bear Thursday. and i am very ok with that! means i can still hunt. the bear was 25 yards, broadside. facing left. klatch!
he turned and took 2 steps, broadside facing right. klatch!
he took 5 steps and stood listening. klatch! he heard, located, saw and departed for the next state! i just sat and giggled. took the Flinter home, pointed it at my 50 yard gong and Blam!. not his day to die.
that is one fine looking caplock bufaf!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
bufaf Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
She's a .62 caliber full stock that I picked up a couple years ago. Came with some balls and a mold that I assumed were proper for the rifle. Had a hard time getting it to shoot well. Turns out the balls and mold are .600 diameter. Bought some .610 balls and now she shoots great!

It's my fault that we missed the deer, not hers.

Last edited by bufaf; 09/25/22.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
That is a pretty rifle. Misfires and misses happen. We miss a deer or a bear, it keeps its life. It's perfectly okay.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Very nice rifle bufaf. 62 cal RB has to really put the smack on, I know a 54 cal RB does! Rifle always used musket caps? Or is that something you swapped out? Only ML I ever used musket caps on was a 10 bore.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bufaf
She's a .62 caliber full stock that I picked up a couple years ago. Came with some balls and a mold that I assumed were proper for the rifle. Had a hard time getting it to shoot well. Turns out the balls and mold are .600 diameter. Bought some .610 balls and now she shoots great!

what patch thickness do you use with the .610's?
i am hoping on finishing a Fowler in the next month or so. hoped to have it done for gucks and deese season here but not .
should you have some of those .60'balls laying about i would buy some to give a try in mine! or trade pure lead or alloy lead. i have plenty of each.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
bufaf Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I found some Ox-yoke 60-69 caliber .15 patches. Really made a difference. I would sell the .600 mold if that interests you.

B
bufaf Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Very nice rifle bufaf. 62 cal RB has to really put the smack on, I know a 54 cal RB does! Rifle always used musket caps? Or is that something you swapped out? Only ML I ever used musket caps on was a 10 bore.

I actually bought it with the musket nipple. Have several tins of musket caps, but my #11 supply is getting short and they are hard to find. And I kinda like musket caps better. Bigger is easier in a hurried reload especially if you're shaking from buck fever like I was the other day.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I remember watching a meat eater episode and they were using black powder rifles. No one shot a damn thing, if I can remember right. Black powders are a different animal. My suggestion is to get out there and practice with it, ALOT... I used to shoot jackrabbits with mine. Both cap and ball revolvers and a 50 cal hawkins. Learn what your rifle likes for powder charge and get out there and practice with it. Less misses that way. Don't really know what to tell you about your "buck fever"???? I have had buddies that got that real bad. It looks very distracting. A lot of guys suffer from it though.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I found some Ox-yoke 60-69 caliber .15 patches. Really made a difference. I would sell the .600 mold if that interests you.
are those ox-yoke patches lubed? what do you use for lube?
i just rendered 10lbs of bear fat into oil. need to work up a blend with bees wax, but had covid a year ago and my smeller is goofy. that bear fat smells like a inner city chinese resturant.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
bufaf Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Those patches are pretty lubed. I've used bore butter for a long time. Heard good things about using bear fat.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 2,739 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,637
Posts18,398,948
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.