Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Never been and thinking about a family trip there next summer or a moose hunt. I have a friend that lives up there. Thought I'd get the fire's opinion too. Are people packing full size 10mm's, 44's and 454's and walking around town with them on? Or do they leave them in the truck and strap on a 9mm in town? My buddy says you seldom see locals carrying guns or even in the woods. I'm not doubting that, but wondering if it's more a local thing were he is, or statewide.

GB1

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Hi Mountain, I was just up in AK last summer for 2 weeks. They are a constitutional carry state so any US citizen is within their rights to conceal. As for seeing others carrying, I don't think I saw a single person with a gun. I was on the Kenai Peninsula around quite a bit of tourists, though. I kept my Glock 23 concealed on me almost everywhere except the bar. Check out the laws before you go.

-Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun-
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Never been and thinking about a family trip there next summer or a moose hunt. I have a friend that lives up there. Thought I'd get the fire's opinion too. Are people packing full size 10mm's, 44's and 454's and walking around town with them on? Or do they leave them in the truck and strap on a 9mm in town? My buddy says you seldom see locals carrying guns or even in the woods. I'm not doubting that, but wondering if it's more a local thing were he is, or statewide.
Where is your buddy located?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You see the odd feller open carrying at the grocery store, but it isn't common. Russian River fishing you will see lots of people carrying, some of whom are barely qualified to tie shoes,

But yes., there's a lot of concealed carry.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's called concealed carry for a reason.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was in the lgs in the valley while back a fella had one pistol on his right hip and another on his left. The icing on the cake was the pistol he had strapped to his ankle.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 79S
Was in the lgs in the valley while back a fella had one pistol on his right hip and another on his left. The icing on the cake was the pistol he had strapped to his ankle.
Better than the one I saw in sportsman’s with an ankle monitor on! 😂

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
He's outside of Anchorage. I know, I get the concealed, is well, concealed part. Maybe I should clarify more. I think of big guns in Alaska, SA Revolvers, full size 10mm's, handguns that really can't be stuffed down your pants easily. So if you're in the bush, then get gas, or fishing supplies or something, do you take the big gun in your chest rig off? I'm sure walking around town, people aren't strapping on 44 mag Anacondas. I understand that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I'm wearing my chest rig and I decide to run into town, it's no biggie to put on a sweatshirt or jacket. or take it off and leave it in the truck if I have to.
But yea, you see people open carry from time to time.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I spent six weeks in Alaska not too long ago, put 5,000 miles on the rental car and hiked every day. I saw "locals" on the trails often and most carried handguns that were easy to see and access for outdoor self defense. I carried everywhere I went outdoors but never in town, didn't think it necessary. My go-to is Glock 10mm with Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman ammo. The only time I felt the need for CC was on a Friday night at a Walmart in Anchorage, pretty tough local crowd.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I carry my 10mm in a shoulder holster and wear a jacket if I am in town, otherwise I carry it on my hip.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
It ain't agin the law... some do, some don't.

As stated above, if you are worried (er- "prepared"), for varmints of any kind outdoors, more accessible is possibly better than concealed. But one is safer out there than in town anyway - varmints vary.

Just back from 2 weeks across Cook Inlet, bears on the beach and through the yards daily and nightly - but they are good bears. There are a couple human neighbors not so much, I was told. Never carried, never felt threatened. The shotguns were useful on squirrels.

I did get a couple decent (not outstanding) bear pics with the Canon, which I'll have to get on the computer after moose season. I was kept too busy to go "hunting" really good pics. Incidental take only.

I'll be packing a HiStandard .22 on the hip moose hunting, starting about Monday. I might be charged by a grouse.....

The .338 should be capable of anything else.

Last edited by las; 09/08/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Las,
Just curious what model Hi Standard, you're toting, kinda like those ole girls.
Dave

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I live in Anchorage and I conceal carry; and so do some of my friends. I don't make it a point for people to know that I carry. I think you will be surprise at how many folks conceal carry in Anchorage. You will see some people open carry, too.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
late to the party but I am very rarely anywhere without a gun. Concealed or not. I just really don't worry much but in town I tend to conceal it most of the time to have the advantage so to speak against 2 leggers. And thats the whole thing. 2 leggers its hidden. 4 its not.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1minute, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 2,922 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,525
Posts18,452,804
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.