Only accurate rifles are interesting.
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
CharlieSisk,

Based on your observations, and experience what would be an optimal barrel length for both the .308 and 30-06 cartridges, if the person was building a precision-oriented hunting rifle with longer shots expected due to the terrain/environment?

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Charlie Sisk' info is very good & relevant years later, & I thank him for his time & effort.

For more like it, rifleshooter.com has cut quite a few barrels for several cartridges & reported. The articles are hard to find for me, but if I scroll down the page & click on pic of 1" long barrel drops, or one of a chop saw, I can find several test.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Still love seeing a well done comparison especially when it requires hard work most people won’t or can’t do. Even better when it sets a bit of old dogma off in a corner where it should be.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yes and still valid today, and we all thank you for all you did then, and still do.
I was turning 47 when you did that, where does the time go?

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
CharlieSisk,

Based on your observations, and experience what would be an optimal barrel length for both the .308 and 30-06 cartridges, if the person was building a precision-oriented hunting rifle with longer shots expected due to the terrain/environment?
What I do on my own rifles is this....I build leaving the barrel at the 28 inch blank length. Then finish the rifle, add scope, and dummy rounds in magazine. Then throw it up to my shoulder. Then cut off a bit. Throw it back up. Cut a little more until it feels the way I want. After that, I don't measure.
Charlie

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I was thinking of asking a question about feel and balance, but it was answered with this post. I do better with 24" barrels (and 26" for that matter) than 22". They seem to balance better and hang steadier than the shorter ones for me. Maybe it is because of my build at 6'4" and 240 lbs. I do have a 28" med. hvy. barrel on a #1 that is too much of a good thing but from the bench or bipods.

Originally Posted by CharlieSisk
CharlieSisk,

What I do on my own rifles is this....I build leaving the barrel at the 28 inch blank length. Then finish the rifle, add scope, and dummy rounds in magazine. Then throw it up to my shoulder. Then cut off a bit. Throw it back up. Cut a little more until it feels the way I want. After that, I don't measure.
Charlie

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I was thinking of asking a question about feel and balance, but it was answered with this post. I do better with 24" barrels (and 26" for that matter) than 22". They seem to balance better and hang steadier than the shorter ones for me. Maybe it is because of my build at 6'4" and 240 lbs. I do have a 28" med. hvy. barrel on a #1 that is too much of a good thing but from the bench or bipods.

Originally Posted by CharlieSisk
CharlieSisk,

Charlie

I also prefer a 24" to 26" inch barrel simply due to a preference for a "weight forward" feel...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
tag for later

Thanks Charlie for some good info

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 257man, 57 invisible), 2,260 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,643
Posts18,455,374
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.