Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
TRexF16 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by z1r
Rex, I can't tell you how many of these action have scope mounting issues. The rear bridge contour is incorrect and needs to be recontoured for a base to sit correctly. Both of these had bridges that were higher on the left side causing the base to tilt to the right (as viewed from behind).
Mine is a .308 with the original length mag box, not altered to be longer. It shoots well as is but I have often thought what a great action that would be for a long-throated .284 Win.
I will take a close look at the scope bases' relationship to the receiver on mine. Thanks for that info.

Cheers,
Rex

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
That sounds like a great action to build a .284 on, especially since it is not a SA length box.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by z1r
As Kenny said, Monkey Wards and National Arms? I think it was National Arms but seem to recall mine might be stamped Nato used a barrel with rifling similar to that used by Marlin. MicroGroove was what they called it. More lands and grooves and shallower lands. This makes sense since Marlin briefly offered their model 455 based on an FN Mauser action.

All this discussion about "original" FN Mauser rifles is somewhat pointless since FN sold countless actions to the trade which were used for the basis of "custom" rifles. None of these conform to the FN standards in terms of nomenclature.
z1r;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope you're all getting decent weather down in your part of Colorado and you're well.

In the distant past I recall handling a commercial Mauser with what looked to us all like a Marlin Micro Groove barrel. A buddy bought it for his son to hunt with - this would have been at least 30 years back and I "think" it was in .30-06.

As well, a large part of me wants to say it was marked either JC Higgins or Ted Williams, but I could be confusing it with a different arm too, sorry.

It stands out in a lifetime of looking down the barrels of new rifles friends had purchased, just did that earlier today actually with a Tikka a young friend picked up - but again it stands out as being the only center fire bolt gun I've seen with "Micro Groove" like rifling.

I might be wrong about this too, but I believe the stock was walnut and not too badly done, not beech or stained birch.

Thanks all for the discussion, it's been interesting reading.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Z, responding to your essentially "irrelevant" assertion presumptively in respect of my llengthy commentary. Such concerning the FN commercial action and wider rifle itself in it's manifestatons.

My remarks you condemn, exactly in response to Pappy’s very Page 2 Post observing: “Anyone setting themselves up as an expert on FNs has their work cut out for them, as the variations seem almost endless."

As you condem me, so your condemnation rising to the very the sum of Members participating in that FN subject-matter discussions! Threads morph and needing to keep up with permutations if tending to sit in judgment of "relevance'. Z, how for instance, could you miss the billboard quality Post atop that Second Page presented by Member TRexF16 (Thanks for your notable service)! Such with large scale, crisp presentation of an FN action resplendent of nomenclature?

Your Post, as alleged reurning to something perhasp akin to 'Thread purity' dismissing all others as "Irrelevant', a 'pure' Say what!
Perhaps you're a victim of "tunnel vision"! As referenced Member TR might characterize such behavior, "Loss of situational Awareness". With a series of FN related posts preceeding in evidence, tunnel suggestive of 'dark and dank locale... Wine cellar of course!:)

May I suggest you practice your significant gunsmithing skills and I'll somehow construe my subject matter relevance without impinging upon your gunsmithing qualifications credibility.

Best!
John

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Originally Posted by z1r
As Kenny said, Monkey Wards and National Arms? I think it was National Arms but seem to recall mine might be stamped Nato used a barrel with rifling similar to that used by Marlin. MicroGroove was what they called it. More lands and grooves and shallower lands. This makes sense since Marlin briefly offered their model 455 based on an FN Mauser action.

All this discussion about "original" FN Mauser rifles is somewhat pointless since FN sold countless actions to the trade which were used for the basis of "custom" rifles. None of these conform to the FN standards in terms of nomenclature.
z1r;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope you're all getting decent weather down in your part of Colorado and you're well.

In the distant past I recall handling a commercial Mauser with what looked to us all like a Marlin Micro Groove barrel. A buddy bought it for his son to hunt with - this would have been at least 30 years back and I "think" it was in .30-06.

As well, a large part of me wants to say it was marked either JC Higgins or Ted Williams, but I could be confusing it with a different arm too, sorry.

It stands out in a lifetime of looking down the barrels of new rifles friends had purchased, just did that earlier today actually with a Tikka a young friend picked up - but again it stands out as being the only center fire bolt gun I've seen with "Micro Groove" like rifling.

I might be wrong about this too, but I believe the stock was walnut and not too badly done, not beech or stained birch.

Thanks all for the discussion, it's been interesting reading.

All the best.

Dwayne

Hi Dwayne,

The weather here has been beautiful, quite a nice reprieve from the too many days of 90+ degree weather. The recent rains also quite welcome. Thank you.

The JC Higgins branded FN rifles wore chrome line barrel with standard rifling as produced by High Standard.

Monkey Wards sold a hodge podge of rifles built on Mauser 98 actions. Some used genuine FN actions, others used Standard Length Zastava actions (think Mk X), and still others used the Intermediate Commercial actions like I posted above. I attempted to retrieve the "microgroove" variant I have last night but couldn't find it. I'll try again this weekend to confirm the name of the "maker". I believe it is National Arms. When I was at the height of my custom rifle building days, these "sleeper" rifles were great acquisitions for donor actions. They still make very nice rifles as-is in most cases.

The Sears branded rifles used that odd two piece trigger where half is attached to the bottom metal. If these are to be used as-is, the actions screws must be kept tight. If they come loose, the bottom metal can pull away from the action causing an AD. Some of the Wards rifles and, if I remember right, some of the musketeer rifles, came with the upgraded Sako triggers. A bonus. Since I don't care much for trigger mounted side safeties, I typically removed the side safety and installed a 3 Position Safety instead.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by iskra
Z, responding to your essentially "irrelevant" assertion presumptively in respect of my llengthy commentary. Such concerning the FN commercial action and wider rifle itself in it's manifestatons.

My remarks you condemn, exactly in response to Pappy’s very Page 2 Post observing: “Anyone setting themselves up as an expert on FNs has their work cut out for them, as the variations seem almost endless."

As you condem me, so your condemnation rising to the very the sum of Members participating in that FN subject-matter discussions! Threads morph and needing to keep up with permutations if tending to sit in judgment of "relevance'. Z, how for instance, could you miss the billboard quality Post atop that Second Page presented by Member TRexF16 (Thanks for your notable service)! Such with large scale, crisp presentation of an FN action resplendent of nomenclature?

Your Post, as alleged reurning to something perhasp akin to 'Thread purity' dismissing all others as "Irrelevant', a 'pure' Say what!
Perhaps you're a victim of "tunnel vision"! As referenced Member TR might characterize such behavior, "Loss of situational Awareness". With a series of FN related posts preceeding in evidence, tunnel suggestive of 'dark and dank locale... Wine cellar of course!:)

May I suggest you practice your significant gunsmithing skills and I'll somehow construe my subject matter relevance without impinging upon your gunsmithing qualifications credibility.

Best!
John

More logorrhea. As usual.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
An older Gun Trader Guide I have lists a Marlin 455 Sporter with a FN action (1957-59)...lists a Sako trigger and while it does not specify Micro-groove rifling, seems like that could be a possibility for those like Dwayne recalling this feature.

https://www.marlinforum.com/threads/marlins-deer-mauser-the-model-455.3372/

Last edited by LEADMINER; 09/23/22.
z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by z1r; 09/23/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
z1r;
Good afternoon sir, thanks kindly for the reply and for the photos, I appreciate it.

When you're mentioning that Sears trigger, it reminds me of some Parker Hale triggers that were an odd 2 piece deal too.

They wouldn't work right either if the back action screw wasn't tight - or if the stock cracked at the wrist either I want to say?

If memory serves the Parker Hale that I'm thinking of were a pot metal housing too that I've seen at least one and maybe two examples that cracked on the front trigger screw - that little screw that tensions it.

Anyways, I might be confusing some of the details, but my standard caution for anyone buying a used Parker Hale up here is "pull the action out and check the trigger".

Thanks again and have a great weekend.

Good luck on your hunts this fall too.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have a rifle with FN action and the "Micro-groove" barrel which is marked "Eatons Model 100" It uses the Sako trigger. I have often wondered if Marlin, having decided to get out of the Bolt Action business, didn't flog those barreled actions off to random dealers. GD

IC B3

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by greydog
I have a rifle with FN action and the "Micro-groove" barrel which is marked "Eatons Model 100" It uses the Sako trigger. I have often wondered if Marlin, having decided to get out of the Bolt Action business, didn't flog those barreled actions off to random dealers. GD

I've often wondered the same thing. But, I'm guessing the barrels were profiled blanks since the stampings/markings are all different.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i gave my Daughter a very nice FN Mauser ,set trigger with a Brux barrel chambered in a 257 Roberts with a 3-10 Leupold for Christmas , this FN Mauser action is very smooth.

Last edited by pete53; 09/26/22.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
420 members (280shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1_deuce, 55 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,723
Posts18,400,590
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.