Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
TimZ Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Have a Sako Black Bear in 9.3 X 62 in the Sako synthetic stock, took it out of the safe recently and the stock had become very sticky to the touch. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this and if painting the stock will alleviate the problem? McMillan doesn't currently make a stock for the Sako 85, would be nice if there was a cheaper solution......

Thanks for any insight.....

Last edited by TimZ; 09/26/22.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd wipe it down with something from the turpentine family.

Buff it.

Go from there...

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Regular
Online Sleepy
Campfire Regular
I have a Browning BLR that was a SHOT show exclusive from like 2007. Stainless and Mossy Oak Brush Dura-Touch. Damn thing is soooooo sticky that you cant let go of it.

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916
I have a Browning BLR that was a SHOT show exclusive from like 2007. Stainless and Mossy Oak Brush Dura-Touch. Damn thing is soooooo sticky that you cant let go of it.
Browning was replacing those defective Duratouch stocks with non-Duratouch ones. You should contact Browning for a replacement.

To the OP - Sorry, I don't know about any Sako replacements.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916

You can get that fixed. ~6 months.

https://duratouchsupport.browning.com/

If you have purchased a firearm containing the Dura-Touch® coating, you may be eligible to receive benefits from a class action settlement (the “Settlement”). The Settlement resolves litigation concerning the potential deterioration of the Dura-Touch® coating applied to certain models of firearms. The Settlement establishes a Dura-Touch® Claim Resolution Process, whereby a U.S. customer may send their Dura-Touch® coated firearm for evaluation, and, if necessary, repair or replacement, provided that the Dura-Touch® coating shows signs of deterioration.
For more information regarding the Settlement, please review the following documents:

Swifty
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Puts me in mind of an early Sims Limbsaver pad I put on a rifle. It actually yanked up carpet fibers after sitting in a closet for a while.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Wipe the stock down, first with mineral spirits, let dry, repeat several times. After that wipe down with Lacquer thinner, let dry, several times. Then apply a new finish of your choice.

"not too grumpy"
TimZ Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks gents

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Puts me in mind of an early Sims Limbsaver pad I put on a rifle. It actually yanked up carpet fibers after sitting in a closet for a while.
made me give up on them. looked like a wooly mammoth if you put one in a fleece lined case.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wiping it down with anything it not going to do much. Dust it with pure corn starch. That will immediately dry it and take the stickiness away.

IC B3

TimZ Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
LoL, maybe I should just roll it in flour and take it hunting?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I sent my sticky stock to Browning. They fixed the problem. Very happy now.

Jim

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I suspect that the stock has some kind of rubber or urethane derivative to it and the plasticizers leach out of those over time. Polyether urethane is worst for getting sticky, but all rubber leaches. It is the reason your recoil pad and tires get harder over time.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Browning sticky stocks:

Browning Dura-Touch

Jim

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have an extra Sako synthetic that does not have the rubber. It is for 308 actions.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Savage Accustok did that, I called Savage and they sent me new stock and this was 7 years after I bought original rifle. I would call Sako and tell them you want a new stock. by the way new Savage stock fits perfectly and shoots just as good as the old one.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Not Sako, but Beretta replaced a sticky M2 stock. I’d call and talk to them, I remember the customer service being more helpful than what I expected. I only had to supply the serial number and wait a few months.

If that doesn’t work, I think I have a Sako 85 stock that would work for you. I put a McMillan on my 9.3x62 Blakc Bear

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TimZ
LoL, maybe I should just roll it in flour and take it hunting?

Maybe. If you haven't tried, you may wish to. I have. It works. You can do the same with pure, unscented talc.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deerstalker
Originally Posted by kenjs1
made me give up on them. looked like a wooly mammoth if you put one in a fleece lined case.
right- I was thinking like using wife's slippers for a pad.
I went back to pachmeyrs and never looked back.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
716 members (16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 222Sako, 21, 12308300, 68 invisible), 2,733 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,580
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.