Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Did Winchester ever catalog this? New Haven FWT synthetic stock 7 Mauser with open sight's. [img]https://i.postimg.cc/g2yB8yNK/IMG-0056-16.webp[/img] [img]https://i.postimg.cc/26XzmNW3/IMG-0059-15.webp[/img] [img]https://i.postimg.cc/NFk51fPF/IMG-0063-15.webp[/img] [img]https://i.postimg.cc/Nj3Bjvpz/IMG-0064-15.webp[/img]

Last edited by sqweeler; 09/20/22.
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Don’t recall one but that’s a pretty easy stock swap. Looks like a standard tupperware. What’s first two of serial?

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
G206700X

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Not even finding a 7x57 in the ‘92 catalog.
But certainly that stock was available by then.
Lots of interesting stuff came out 91-93.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I want to see if it say's anything on the pad.Maybe one for the european market?Those stocks were available from Winchester for the featherweight contour?

Last edited by sqweeler; 09/20/22.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Say's "Winchester" on the pad.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
No doubt it’s a Winchester stock. How did the barrel channel look? Like a featherweight dropped in a sporter? Or a featherweight tupperware?
They did have featherweight tupperware during that time frame. I have seen a push feed stainless featherweight which was in one and it was the correct inlet for a featherweight. Serial number was in the same range; G 210xxxx

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by sqweeler
Did Winchester ever catalog this? New Haven FWT synthetic stock 7 Mauser with open sight's. [img]https://i.postimg.cc/g2yB8yNK/IMG-0056-16.webp[/img] [img]https://i.postimg.cc/26XzmNW3/IMG-0059-15.webp[/img] [img]https://i.postimg.cc/NFk51fPF/IMG-0063-15.webp[/img] [img]https://i.postimg.cc/Nj3Bjvpz/IMG-0064-15.webp[/img]

Not wanting to post the actual listing that's on gunsinternational?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I punted.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well, I couldn't get a picture to come up so the following is my best guess.

If the synthetic stock is in the same configuration as the wood Featherweight stock, the the stock is a McMillan. I have an XTR in .270 Win. in one of those stocks and the rifle has a 24" barrel. I even have a spare of that stock just in case. AS I couldn't see the picture, my best guess is the person who owned that rifle ordered the stock from Winchester and used it, possibly so that a nice wood stock wouldn't get all scarred up.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Well, I couldn't get a picture to come up so the following is my best guess.

If the synthetic stock is in the same configuration as the wood Featherweight stock, the the stock is a McMillan. I have an XTR in .270 Win. in one of those stocks and the rifle has a 24" barrel. I even have a spare of that stock just in case. AS I couldn't see the picture, my best guess is the person who owned that rifle ordered the stock from Winchester and used it, possibly so that a nice wood stock wouldn't get all scarred up.
PJ

That is a great possibility. However, the stock is not a "fwt" stock. If I remember right, it is just an oldstyle early tupperware that came on the sporter push feeds or classic. I'd have to look again, but that is what I remember. The sights did not appear to be factory either. The rifle is/was listed on gunsinternational, if you want to look at it..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Yeah, it's just a factory tupperware.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Question-- How to identify a McMillen stock on a Winchester? Is there a trademark, number or something?
Thanks

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TBREW401
Question-- How to identify a McMillen stock on a Winchester? Is there a trademark, number or something?
Thanks

AK probably knows better than I do, but I have an older one that says Mcmillan on the pachmayr decelerator recoil pad. Its the only one that I've had like this out of about 10 mcmillans.. In fact, I was going to pull it off and then decided to keep it on because it must be rare. Plus the sumbiotch is glued on good!!!!

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks

Without getting too far into the weeds, you are looking for a mid eighties to early 90s push feed xtr with a synthetic stock which is NOT checkered and NOT tupperware. The featherweights will sport a schnabel and look the same in profile as the wood featherweights; the magnums will have a normal forend. Neither has a cheek piece.

Most say Winchester on the pad.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks

Without getting too far into the weeds, you are looking for a mid eighties to early 90s push feed xtr with a synthetic stock which is NOT checkered and NOT tupperware. The featherweights will sport a schnabel and look the same in profile as the wood featherweights; the magnums will have a normal forend. Neither has a cheek piece.

I think he's asking if there is a "trademark" or stamping on the inside of the barrel channel or elsewhere that identifies it as a Mcmillan..

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Outside of those few early browns, it won’t be anything else. Some are stamped in the channel; some aren’t.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Thanks

I think he's asking if there is a "trademark" or stamping on the inside of the barrel channel or elsewhere that identifies it as a Mcmillan..

I have two of those stocks One is mounted on a .270 XTR and the other is safely ticked away waiting installation on an M70 in .280 Rem. if I ever come across one. Both stocks have Winchester butt pads and I've not seen any markings denoting the stocks as made by McMillan. I also have an M70 in .300 Win. Mag. which has a factory installed McMillan stock. According to Mule Deer, JB of course, he dod corroborate the fact that Winchester did a run of rifles with the McMillan stocks. You might see if you can find it up in the campfire threads.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Thanks

I have two of those stocks One is mounted on a .270 XTR and the other is safely ticked away waiting installation on an M70 in .280 Rem. if I ever come across one. Both stocks have Winchester butt pads and I've not seen any markings denoting the stocks as made by McMillan. I also have an M70 in .300 Win. Mag. which has a factory installed McMillan stock. According to Mule Deer, JB of course, he dod corroborate the fact that Winchester did a run of rifles with the McMillan stocks. You might see if you can find it up in the campfire threads.
PJ

Yes, of course they (Winchester) made a run of Mcmillan stocked rifles. We've all talked about this many times here, especially within the last 4 months or so. We've had threads here in this forum, regarding these rifles. Those rifles are called Winlites. You can usually spot them from 100 feet away in a crowded room. Also as AKwolverine pointed out, Brown Precision also supplied stocks for some of the earlier ones. The reason we started some of those threads was because the rifles were being sold for very cheap prices. Some of us thought about buying said rifles, just for the stocks. We were under the impression that some sellers did not know what they had. Probably why TBREW401 was asking questions regarding how these stocks are marked. Also, the rifle in question is definitely not in a Mcmillan. The rifle in the OP has a factory tupperware stock on it. Very easy to identify that..

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

217 members (30Gibbs, 10gaugemag, 345dl, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 33 invisible), 2,749 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,633
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.