Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by lightman
I completed a 308 build earlier this year. I found a new 40X stainless repeater action and uses a PTG recoil lug, Kreiger Remington Varmint contour 20 inch fluted 1-10 twist barrel, HS stock with custom shop bottom metal, Jewell trigger, Badger rail and rings topped with a Nightforce 2.5-10 scope. Initial groups were hovering around 3/4 inch with the 150 grain Sierra that I want to hunt with. I was also shooting 1, patching it out, shooting one, ect. I hope to shoot it again next weekend with the same bullet and also some Berger 168 VLD Hunters.

I expect my 40X action ain't nothing but a restamped 700 action but I always wanted a 40X. I could have got into a custom action for only a little more.

Which chamber did you use?

It was a PTG reamer with a minimum leade and a no turn neck.

lightman
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Finished my DIY 308, now it's time to see if it will shoot.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/17670269/defiance-308

Still waiting on suppresser, certified e-file 3/14/2022

Last edited by 257Bob; 10/06/22.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I completed a 308 build earlier this year. I found a new 40X stainless repeater action and uses a PTG recoil lug, Kreiger Remington Varmint contour 20 inch fluted 1-10 twist barrel, HS stock with custom shop bottom metal, Jewell trigger, Badger rail and rings topped with a Nightforce 2.5-10 scope. Initial groups were hovering around 3/4 inch with the 150 grain Sierra that I want to hunt with. I was also shooting 1, patching it out, shooting one, ect. I hope to shoot it again next weekend with the same bullet and also some Berger 168 VLD Hunters.

I expect my 40X action ain't nothing but a restamped 700 action but I always wanted a 40X. I could have got into a custom action for only a little more.

Which chamber did you use?

It was a PTG reamer with a minimum leade and a no turn neck.

Leade diameter?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Finally got my 308 DIY pre-fit assembled, scoped and out to the range.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Kitty isn't so sure about that rifle. grin

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not her best look!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I fhuqking HATE 308's,but if forced to suffer another,I'd want another FN SPR A1. Hint.

The OEM bottom metal and mages are fhuqking Dog Schit,but a swap to AICS cures all. Hint.

The C/L spout,MacaMillion ergos and smoothtidue,paved the path. Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I fhuqking HATE 308's,but if forced to suffer another,I'd want another FN SPR A1. Hint.

The OEM bottom metal and mages are fhuqking Dog Schit,but a swap to AICS cures all. Hint.

The C/L spout,MacaMillion ergos and smoothtidue,paved the path. Hint................
Is that a jimmy club by that clock?
LOL

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
ReeferLady,

I've zero idea what you club(if you could afford one),but keep "living" vicariously...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Had a group of Old Boys that visited every Fall and after a few years,one of them told me "I just like to watch your daughter fish" and I replied "me too". As a token for the tips I gave and Sister's uncanny Angling Abilities,he arrived the next year bearing gifts. They'd originally been enthralled with using a landing net,but I quickly showed 'em the benefits of a Conking Stick. They were hooked,at the moment. I reckon it 18yrs or so ago. Pun intended. Hint.

The next year,he handed Sister (2) handcrafted Conking Sticks that he'd turned himself and in his Honor,we donoted one to use and the other to Memories. You see Memories,as you "live" vicariously. Hint.

Maybe even a Drooling Clueless Fhuqktard such as yourself,can tell the difference(s). Hint. LAUGHING!

In fairness however,there's only been (3) Generations in the fray. That barely counts for a few thousand Victims. Hint.

I should dig into my 'Bucket and backtrack. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I retapered [made a lot of stainless chips] and chambered a Hart barrel in 308 with a cheap Beech stock, and 1903 Turk Mauser action.
I put a cheap Nikon scope on it. I hope to go hunting and sight in the rifle in a week.

[Linked Image]

I made a spacer so bullet points would not get trapped between the Parker Hale magazine and the Oberndorf feed ramp.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gunnut308
She ain’t real tactical but she’s practical. This was my range rifle and critter popper for several years. Don’t get it out much anymore. I believe the barrel contour is a #6 or real close. It balances perfect and isn’t so heavy that it’s a pain. ADL bottom, again not tactical.

For the easy button- Rem 700 LTR if you can find one. 👍

700 action
Pac Nor - 10 twist cut to 20.5”
McMillan HTG
.308 Win

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I like it. I used to rock something similar:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
My 308 "carry chunk" is a first generation 5R Milspec in an LTR stock.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 308 "carry chunk" is a first generation 5R Milspec in an LTR stock.

The LTR stock is handy.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The LTR pattern is one of H-S' better models.

Now with even more aplomb
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Didn't I buy that stock from you?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’d love to pick up one sometime but they are almost as much as McMillan now.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by drop_point
She ain’t real tactical but she’s practical. This was my range rifle and critter popper for several years. Don’t get it out much anymore. I believe the barrel contour is a #6 or real close. It balances perfect and isn’t so heavy that it’s a pain. ADL bottom, again not tactical.

700 action
McMillan HTG
.308 Win

I like it. I used to rock something similar:

Similar here. Rem 700 Varmint cut to 20.5" in a McMillan HTG stock, Badger Ord floorplate, knob, brake, Nightforce 40 MOA rail. Timney trigger. SWFA 10X Mil-Quad scope.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Ky221
Stumbled into this little gem yesterday.

Unfired 700 PSS .308. Won't even bore you with what I paid for it. Long story short. If it doesnt shoot and I'm forced to rebarrel. I wouldn't be out much more than it would have cost to just buy the rifle at it's actual value.

EDM- nice buck but I have zero interest in a sporter. Already have one of those.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Ky221, don't do a damn thing to it until you shoot it. Mine wears the original barrel with a JP brake and a 10x swfa ss loves 150 to 168 gr bullets. The 150gr SP and tac in Mil brass. Brake is loud as it gets but sure makes recoil minimal...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Didn't I buy that stock from you?

I believe so. I sell stuff I shouldn’t all the time. grin

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

700 action
McMillan HTG
.308 Win

Such a great rifle!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (6mmbrfan, 14idaho, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 12 invisible), 1,543 guests, and 767 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.