Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Thanks to all for the insight. RB brings up an interesting point. When I was in the Kalahari, I did as he wrote about and nestled my weak hand in the cradle and rested my rifle forearm in it. Do most folks do this, or simply rest the forearm directly on top of the tripod/bipod cup?

Seems to me that like everything, different strokes for different folks in different situations, but it seems to me that a tripod rest will do about anything a bipod rest will do, but that the opposite isn't true. I keep coming back to the reality that the bipod cannot stand on its own...

Anyway, ta again for all the input, lads. Including you and your call, Tex. You know I love breaking your nuts on here. wink

RB: Card received. Thank you for the thanks, and you're very welcome. And yeah, some say I do have a memory like an elephant. I see it, I store it. Cheers.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
I keep coming back to the reality that the bipod cannot stand on its own....
And, sir, where are you? You are the 3rd leg that makes the bi- a tri-pod. But whatever floats your boat, just practice.
RB

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by EdM
If someone else is carrying them, as was the case here wink , these are rock solid.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'm seeing a solid high hip/pelvic girdle shot as well as the high shoulder. Which was first?

wink

Helluva' deer, BTW, Ed.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I like Bogpod quite a bit.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Great in the standing and short version.

A good tripod with a hog saddle or ARCA rail set up if you’re so inclined as well

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
kamo gari;
Good evening my old friend, I hope that the weather's been good for you folks and you're both well - and the pets as well of course.

When the girls started hunting all those years ago, I needed to find a way to both watch how steady they were, watch the animal being shot and assist them in getting off a good shot - not necessarily in that order.

My solution was to make up a tripod much like the African model you spoke of, which is to say 3 dowels, sharpened at one end and held together by a leather lace.

Eventually that evolved into 3 tapered pieces of hickory, sharpened and held with a fairly heavy rubber O-ring.

I used it as a walking stick when we were stalking, when we weren't it sat on the back window of the pickup. That was how the length was decided by the way - exactly what fit on the back seat of the pickup - under the back window.

In use it was silly fast to get in action.

With it, they pulled off some mighty precise shots Leighton - for kids or seasoned adults.

I've personally tried 2 legs while chasing coyotes and while I hate to contend with Roger, I found the 3rd leg to be a game changer - for me - for us.

Oh, lastly I guess, we'd just slide that O-ring up or down as far as we needed and then plant the sharp ends in whatever dirt/sand/Okanagan rocks we were going to shoot from.

The left hand of the shooter held the three sticks where they were crossed, the rifle fore end sat nice and still and stuff died - repeatedly.

Sorry I have no recommendation for a commercial unit however.

Hopefully that was at least somewhat useful for you or someone out there perhaps taking out new shooters this fall.

All the best to you folks my friend and good luck on all your hunts.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like Rick pointed out, these look interesting if weight isn't an issue.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For sitting in a blind I like my bogg bipod. If I am walking in I use trekking poles with the Wiser Precision attachment that connects the poles and turns them into a good rest.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I like my BOG shooting sticks and have a BOG pod as well, but have never used it.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by EdM
If someone else is carrying them, as was the case here wink , these are rock solid.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'm seeing a solid high hip/pelvic girdle shot as well as the high shoulder. Which was first?

wink

Helluva' deer, BTW, Ed.

One high shoulder shot of Federal Blue Box 150's via a Mauser M12 308 Win. He ran a short bit and dropped. Four minutes into legal shooting.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Anyone mention the Claw? We use that setup a ton in Arizona.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Here's a link. Call me if you need any other info.

triclaw website

Regards

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
https://www.primos.com/shooting-sticks/pole-cat/pole-cat-tall-bipod-shooting-stick/PO-65483.html
I've had a pair of these for many years and have used them to shoot whitetails out to 400 yards. Long before they were bought out by Primos. They work best when you can sit and lean back on something like a fence, tree, etc., but even a backpack or a friend will work. They also work without leaning on something, but noticeably less steady. You will need practice to learn how to lean or press into them and create stability.
Pros: light, compact, fits in a backpack, easy to deploy quickly.
Cons: Not as steady without a back rest.

https://www.primos.com/shooting-sti...hort-tripod-shooting-stick/PO-65812.html

I bought these for my daughter to use 5-6 years ago and we have both used them successfully many times. I'd say they are marginally more stable with the 3rd leg, but we often find that the 3rd leg gets in the way when sitting on the ground. They are more suited to sitting in a chair or on a rock than flat on the ground. When sitting low, the legs have to be spread out wide and you end up with one or two of the stick legs outside of your legs and it can be slow and cumbersome to get set up. The trigger mechanism is nice for quick vertical adjustment, but is very over rated. I've had to make far more L/R adjustments and three legs are slower to move and adjust than two.
Pros: steadier without a back rest, easier to lean into and create stability, better for long sits or waiting
Cons: too big for a backpack, slow to set up

https://www.boghunt.com/pods/tripods/deathgrip-tripod/1099442.html
My daughter used one of these on a recent guided Oryx hunt and it's now on my Christmas list. They are fantastic, but I would not want to carry them on a back country hunt. I could see many uses for them sitting in a field or blind.

Last edited by country_20boy; 09/27/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
KG this is where I bought my set up.

[img]https://www.nightgoggles.com/product-category/shooting-tripods/[/img]

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
KG; good call on investigating shooting sticks. I have used collapsible shock corded sticks, bound wooden dowels and old bamboo cross country ski poles. I’ve used the tripods in Africa.

My daughter has the primos trigger stick bipod and after a season of using it has gone back to bound dowels. The only downside I can see with the primos was the size and weight and well as a greater risk for noise.

The correct tool for your usage depends upon the nature of the hunt and if you have extra hands to help out.

Good luck in deciding on what shooting sticks as to buy, have fun practising with the sticks and please do your wonderful photo filled post after the hunt.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Look up Vanguard B62.

Two legs, adjustable from 22.25" to 62". Durable, light weight and very stable. When not needed, I lash them to the side of my pack. I've also velcro'd the legs together to make a pretty good walking stick/trekking pole. Had mine about 4 years, now.

Scheels and Amazon both have them. 45 bucks

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 09/27/22.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Single telescope sticks … good for hiking and quick shots.

Two and three legged ones if u are sitting, however the single leg works just fine for that too…

Lightweight and easy.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have and have used the primos tripod. It has worked fine the few times I've used it. My big criticism of the primos model is the weight. It is a bit cumbersome. But it is stable and easy to shoot off.

Ive always thought a stick/bipod solution was better.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer the twist to lock vs the ones with the tab to lock. You only need to compare side by side to see the difference. It's way faster to twist, extend and lock again for making a change in height. That said if you are on fairly flat ground you can leave the sticks preset to the height you desire and just carry and adjust a little to suit your needs at the time. I have a bogpod with three legs and I do really like it. A close friend uses a monopod and he loves it.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I had a mono pod and it wasn't much help. I used Ryan's Bogpod tripod and it worked really well. So well that I got one for myself when I got home from the hunt. I have the tab lock legs. But I can see where the twist lock legs would come in handy if you came up on a critter quickly and needed to make adjustments. Less movement with the twist as well.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
233 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 257 mag, 2UP, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,633 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,926
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.