Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A few days ago someone mentioned this particular model of 22lr target rifle. I was wondering if anyone else has had one? How well do they shoot? I'm a sucker for a good ol target rifle like this. I saw one locally for $275.00. I'm thinking I need to go back and take another look at it and probably buy it. What say you guys that have had one?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A good honest rifle, but not top tier in its day. In the ranking among the smallbore competitors back in the 30's-40's the Model 52, Remington 37, Martini, Walnut Hill were considered top tier. Winchester 75, Savage 19, Stevens 416 were considered beginners/intermediate rifles - not because they were less accurate necessarily but in terms of sights, triggers, weight/balance/ergonomics, and general refinement.

The 416 I worked with not long ago was very accurate with a not bad trigger. My chief complaint was with its sight - it had a lot of backlash in its adjustment knobs, making precise adjustments problematic, especially when wanting to return to where I started from. Not a big deal for a "set and forget" shooter. I could've overcome that by going to a scope instead, but didn't.

Oddly enough I've seen 416 barrels turn up on custom guns, including Hornets, over the years. Perhaps it was a darling of gunsmith crowd way back when as a source for cheap accuracy?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for the info gnoahhh!! I agree about the rear sight as well. No where near the quality of my model 52. I realize it is a fairly cheap rifle, but it is cool because of its vintage. I like old target rifles and this one seems to be all original. I also saw a nice Winchester model 69 in the same shop, but it was $600!! Way overpriced for that rifle IMHO. Considering I could buy them for around $400 in Oregon..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I owned a 416 for a number of years. It had a Redfield 3200 24x scope on it and I really wrung it out at 50 yards with about every different .22 ammo I could find. At it's best, it averaged 0.51" at 50 for 10 5-shot groups off a bench. The same test with a Remington 40x and the same scope averaged 0.37". (This tells you that my bench rest technique leaves something to be desired.)

As I paid little more than the scope was worth for the 416 (which also came with the original Stevens peep sights) and the scope and I paid a LOT more for the 40x, I thought it a very good quality rifle for the price. I later sold the scope for more than I paid for the combo and the rifle for about $500. $275 for the rifle, if it has the sights (they are expensive to acquire separately and hard to find), is a good buy, assuming it's in decent condition.

One thing to note: The majority of 416s were used as military training rifles and have government acceptance and U.S. Property stampings. If you are a Stevens collector, the ones without such markings are significantly less common.

Another thing to note: A number of these rifles were built and sold with store brand names. I've only seen one, which had a Sears store brand (J.C. Higgins, if I recall correctly), but there are other store brands as well.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Remington40x
I owned a 416 for a number of years. It had a Redfield 3200 24x scope on it and I really wrung it out at 50 yards with about every different .22 ammo I could find. At it's best, it averaged 0.51" at 50 for 10 5-shot groups off a bench. The same test with a Remington 40x and the same scope averaged 0.37". (This tells you that my bench rest technique leaves something to be desired.)

As I paid little more than the scope was worth for the 416 (which also came with the original Stevens peep sights) and the scope and I paid a LOT more for the 40x, I thought it a very good quality rifle for the price. I later sold the scope for more than I paid for the combo and the rifle for about $500. $275 for the rifle, if it has the sights (they are expensive to acquire separately and hard to find), is a good buy, assuming it's in decent condition.

One thing to note: The majority of 416s were used as military training rifles and have government acceptance and U.S. Property stampings. If you are a Stevens collector, the ones without such markings are significantly less common.

Another thing to note: A number of these rifles were built and sold with store brand names. I've only seen one, which had a Sears store brand (J.C. Higgins, if I recall correctly), but there are other store brands as well.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it!! At that price, it may be gone the next time I go there. However, I may be wrong as I know this type of rifle is not in high demand.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Remington40x

A friend had a Sears branded "Ranger" that was a Savage 416.

But back to the original question, I had a 416 U.S. that shot good, not Anschutz good, but very good for a rifle in it's price range. But with these older rifles, a lot will depend upon how the rifle has been treated over the years.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 59 invisible), 2,749 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,052
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.