Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
You become a small town EMT so you can help people.

They don't tell you that a bit of you dies each time there is a bad one. Eventually you don't have any left.

It's a bitch.

I am MAGA.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sorry bout that.
Saw a 19 year old who blew a country stop sign Sunday out by us. He was on his dirt bike. Wasn't pretty. The bad ones leave a mark on you.

Last edited by RUM7; 09/26/22.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You're a good man Jim, I'm sure you have some left.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Don't tell me that. I'm currently attending EMT basic school. I enjoy what I do now but the Brandon crew is making it not worth doing anymore.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tremendous respect for an EMT, they do help many People, not all can be saved.

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Yep 10 years at that and first responder. The good outweighs it for the most part but the “bad ones” are tough. About the only folks you can talk to about it and will understand are your fellow responders/EMT’s.

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In my experience, the EMTs are more attentive, take better care, and care more in general than do the docs and nurses that you are passed on to.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Jim, thank you for what you have done, the toll of what you have seen and been involved in is tough. Sometimes it's better to let others take the reins

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Had a work day at the range the other day.

Two LEO's there. Were getting to that point too Jim. Just had a domestic case, not the first time apparently to that domicile. Dude ran the gal over with his truck. One of the LEOs said he was worried about the gal dying while he was assisting her and she kept saying "He didn't mean it, don't take him to jail" Said his Give a Fugg was just about empty.

Have heard other stories from folks like you. Was bad enough for me the one time coming home when I happened upon and accident our trauma team was just starting to work on. About 3 miles from the project, but they were the closest , fastest response option. I had to cut the driver out of the barb wire fence along side the road, and donate a blanket for him. One young gal was shook up pretty bad, but mostly unharmed. The other gal in the car didn't make it, I watched the life go as our trauma team lead was doing CPR on her. Drinking and partying at the beach down the way was involved. A couple of more of them and I can see how you get to that point.

Hang in there bro.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
People like you are mighty important in a rural community, Jim

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The rural EMT is a tough gig.

You know most everyone that you show up to help.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Jim,

God Bless you and your fellow EMTs/ Paramedics...I know where you are coming from... after the military I spent my time doing that gig also.

I ended up being the first person on scene several times while in the service, three IIRC had deaths in the accidents, and most of the ones I came across had people injured pretty bad... intoxicated drivers going at high speed on curvy roads... this is in Puget Sound area, as I was stationed at Madigan AMC on Ft Lewis.

The first one I was at, the EMTs were fresh out of school and on the job less than a week. They couldn't handle the patient with multiple injuries and had a mental breakdown. State trooper was there, and observing my facial response, asked me if I knew what to do. I told him yeah, but I was military and we weren't allowed to work on civilians off the base. Trooper told me Washington had a Good Samaritan law, and if I could save the guys life, because he was going fast, then to do it. I did.. he pulled the EMTs out of there and assisted me. We saved him and another ambulance showed up and took him to the University of Washington Hospital.

I'm in the minority, because I have that ability to turn into someone that is mechanical like a robot and have no emotions. But after its all over, I empathisize with the ones that had a hard time. I do understand greatly.

you and only know if it is time to hang it up for good or just take a break. Remember, first rule is scene safe, and you take care of you the EMT first.
Otherwise you can't help others. Only Jesus could walk on water. No one knows whats best for you, except you and its not an easy decision.

but no one would ever think negatively of you, if you walked away. As someone whose been there, I'd support your decision either way. There is no shame in any decision. God Bless you for what you've done for your neighborhood, and may God Guide you in the decisions you make, if that time has arrived.

you've got my greatest respect brother.

Peace...
john chr/ seafire

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
If you were not there to help, people's chances of living to tell the tale would be a lot less. You can improve the odds, but you can't always beat them. On balance, the world is much better off for your efforts.

Be not weary in well doing.
pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My dad was neither an EMT nor a religious man. One day, about 70 years ago, he came upon an accident where the car was engulfed in flames. He dragged the driver out of the car. The coins in the driver's pocket had all melted. But the rosary in that same pocket had not.

You do what you can and let God take care of the rest.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Heaven holds a special place for your kind Jim, been on a ambulance ride more often than I would have liked and it has been EMT's that saved my bacon. May God bless you all for the good you do.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I know exactly what you mean, Jim.
There were situations that I dealt with going back 40 years that still sometimes disturb my sleep.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stay strong JC, your community is fortunate to have your kind serving.........no doubt they realize this and are grateful......

Prayers for first responders.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Takes a special kind of person to do what you do , my youngest son is a RN and a dam good one. He’s told us many a stories of dumb and or unappreciative patients. Your making a difference, keep up the good work sir..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hang on. Not many are willing to do it. We help our local fire and ems as much as we can, its sad to hear some of the stories. I worked on the road for 40 years and saw just a taste of what you guys do regularly.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bless you for your service to the rest of us. I can see how the day to day would grind you down.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

439 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 52 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,973
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.