Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My only spotter is an inexpensive little Minox 15-30 that I bought to fit in my range bag. It struggles when viewing small bullet holes at 200 except on the blooming targets, so I’m thinking of upgrading a bit. I know that on the bench straight is the way to go after using a borrowed angled model yesterday and having to pop up like a P-dog every time I wanted to look, but what about in the field? I see YouTube hunters using angled scopes, but it seems to force them to expose themselves quite a bit. Are they using angled scopes because they’re easier or more comfortable or are they just adapting to the equipment?

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Although angled is far more popular, I've been using my straight swaro 65mm for years out west and don't plan on changing.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Angled

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think it is personal preference. I have had both, and prefer the straight.

Arcus Venator
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by CRS

Ditto. When critters are on the move, I get the spotter on them quicker with a straight.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Originally Posted by CRS

Ditto. When critters are on the move, I get the spotter on them quicker with a straight.

Same here, on both responses. Depends on your application and preference. FWIW, I'm retired from hunting, just shoot on the range. Straight works best for me.

Also, don't ignore eye relief. Doesn't get the attention it should.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I prefer straight. I've owned and used both. My primary uses are @ the range on a tripod or from the pickup on a window mount. I find it much faster to both find what I'm looking for in the spotter quickly, as well as reference back to my viewing subject without the spotter using a straight body.

If you're constantly looking "up" with a spotter, say from a valley floor up onto a mountain, I can see the allure to an angled body for some folks depending on the terrain they hunt. The whole unit sits lower which should make it steadier on a tripod. Looking down into your spotter is probably more comfortable than crunching to get "under" it trying to look up.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I haven't employed a spotting scope in the field in ages but rely on one at the range. I preferred a straight for decades but after scoliosis bent my head down a bit I found the angled eyepiece more suitable. Speaks to personal preference effected by physical needs. (At the bench I set it on a stand that puts it down low beside me so all I need to do is lean over a little and look down into it.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Overall I prefer angled. Only exception is a window mount in a vehicle where straight is the only way to go.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I’ve used had and used both, and am hardover for angled. Far easier in the field, once you are accustomed and figured out how to get the scope where you want. I’ve been using a Leica APO 65 for years, couldn’t be happier.

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by GF1
I’ve used had and used both, and am hardover for angled. Far easier in the field, once you are accustomed and figured out how to get the scope where you want. I’ve been using a Leica APO 65 for years, couldn’t be happier.

Totally agree angled is much more user friendly for hours of use.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Straight for me. A lot easier switching between binoculars and spotting scope with a straight. Angled definitely has a few advantages though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've only used an angled spotter at the range once and once on the target, it worked okay. When I bought my own spotter, I bought the straight because I thought it was more intuitive and faster sighting over the top to get on target at the 15x setting and then dialing up for better detail. I shot more in my younger days and while that scope still goes to the range, we use it more on a tripod at the cottage for watching other things than targets. Many times I'll have people unfamiliar with good optics looking through it and they adapt better to a straight through optic.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have angled (Athlon from Doug) and prefer it at the range but in the field it is harder to get on target than a straight so if you are glassing with a binocular on a tripod and then want to check something out with the spotter it is much easier IME to find what you are looking for with the straight.
I don't scan with a spotter though because I find it too tiring to look with one eye for hours at a time.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Straight for me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My preferences are:

Straight for window mount. Straight for shooting, as spotter seated or standing, especially varying target distances.

Angled for spotting from prone (assuming that you can rotate the scope body to allow the shooter to simply switch from riflescope to spotter). Angled for use by different people of various builds and stature, especially standing but the scope body needs to rotate. Angled for long periods of glassing.

I recently sold my last straight scope and went out of my way to buy an angled scope (three actually).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SLM
Straight for me. A lot easier switching between binoculars and spotting scope with a straight. Angled definitely has a few advantages though.
+1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Have always used straight, just got my first angled. To me, there is a learning curve between the 2.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by SLM
+1

I don't find a straight to ever be better than an angled. Not switching back and forth from binoculars or in a truck with a window mount

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Straight. I’ve used an angled eyepiece in competition years ago and it worked ok but overall I prefer a straight eyepiece.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,705 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,832
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.