-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
OP Offline
L
I’ve read a few posts already but a question. I’m hunting in CA and have a little lake picked out to hunt out of. I’ve seen tracks around the lake but I know there are also a few springs around the area. When I say “around” I mean within 1/2 mile or so and I have seen tracks in the area too.

My plan was to use the lake as a base camp for a few nights. Since I see tracks and I know this is a watering hole should I stay away from the lake and camp up the mountain away from the lake and glass the lake early and late? The springs do have some tree cover so it would be hard to watch them from a distance.

Thought??

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Prohibitions for camping at a lake. Besides, why scare game away...use springs as a water source.

Any high ground within range with cover would be ideal.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
If water sources are limited it is best to camp at least 100 yards from the water.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Elk country is full of hunters that camp right where elk have fed or watered. Some even close to bedding areas.Those are usually part of the 80% that never kill an elk and make it harder for those that do.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Uhh, I think that is 90%.....

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Uhh, I think that is 90%.....

Probably so. I was being generous.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I was not born in CA, but did lived and hunted there for about 20 years (before I moved away). It is my experience that those tracks around the lake that you see are probably being made at night. You will not likely see a mature California Mulie or Blacktail buck going down to a lake for a drink during daylight hours. Just my experience.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calcoyote
I was not born in CA, but did lived and hunted there for about 20 years (before I moved away). It is my experience that those tracks around the lake that you see are probably being made at night. You will not likely see a mature California Mulie or Blacktail buck going down to a lake for a drink during daylight hours. Just my experience.

Nothing's changed, and your experience says it well.

Also, people tend to camp in low lying areas where it's colder and damper, like next to a stream or lake. Those are some of the poorest choices for camping spots in cooler weather.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’ve been hunting mulies for over 60 years. Maybe it’s just luck but I don’t recall ever having seen a buck watering in daylight, at least not in the open. Maybe they’d drink from small streams in cover.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
... why scare game away...use springs as a water source.

Any high ground within range with cover would be ideal.
^^^ This is good advice. ^^^

Best to camp some place where you can glass and not scare game away. Place your camp where it's secluded and near your glassing spot.

I haven't seen animals at water sources during the day. I concentrate on travel corridors to/from water. Specially in the late afternoon when it's warm and dry. Arrive at your glassing spot at dawn. Take a nap in the middle of the day, just like the animals. Then start glassing again in the afternoon.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Great post OP. Enjoying the responses.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KC
Take a nap in the middle of the day, just like the animals.

Solid plan right there grin

[Linked Image from cybersalt.org]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Elk country is full of hunters that camp right where elk have fed or watered. Some even close to bedding areas.Those are usually part of the 80% that never kill an elk and make it harder for those that do.

You have found a good hunting area. Do not ruin it by camping in it. Unless you don't want to hunt there.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This was an archery hunted mule deer. Very secluded wilderness, so undisturbed and unhunted deer. Came to water at 2pm.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I try to find places other hunters don't go, where deer can act naturally.

LOL
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Also, people tend to camp in low lying areas where it's colder and damper, like next to a stream or lake. Those are some of the poorest choices for camping spots in cooler weather.
Or camping where the rocks are cooking you in the warm weather. Learned about cool and damp and hot and miserable the hard way. Wayyy wayyy too much cool and damp honestly.

This might not be perfect if hunting this area, however, it was a cozy overnight.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 3,038 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,264
Posts18,467,183
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.