Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
OP Offline
A
We've all seen the endless parade of film gun goofs. In a similar vein, if one reads enough fictional works, well gun goofs will be encountered. I've seen them in both mainstream, successful authors and more obscure writers.
For example, I recently read the first of the Dirty Harry novels (not novelizations, different stories) and started a second before wandering back to the nonfiction stack. (Oh, they are utter pulp trash, but that is one of the appeals.) What was odd for a quintessentially "gun guy" film and book series, there was a lot of goofs. And I don't mean just the wacky ones like a gigantic .44 Magnum revolver with an equally huge silencer hanging off it. Naturally, there are others, often in the horror genre, that I read from time to time.
But I've meandered enough. Do the goofs ruin the book for you? Or, nah, no biggie? What were some authors and genres you found surprising to find such therein?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Drives me nuts! Let us not forget the always popular ".... smell of cordite hanging in the air". Another peeve is illustrators of paperbacks who depict weapons without having read the book.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Pay no attention to the goofs. Not worth stressing about. I merely laugh and continue with the story or article. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I don’t read that 4th grade level bulls hit! At present I’m reading The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich! Try it…..you might learn something!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Color me impressed!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Interesting question, I've been interested in guns for 56 years. When I read or hear something I know is incorrect or untrue I immediately doubt the credibility of the speaker or writer. Way it is , Hollywood is total bullshi t and some authors are too. What they don't know helps you understand their lack of expertise and their credibility. Dirty Harry is Hollywood but a 6.5" M29 is what it is, hard to not like the actual m29 even if if you got choke down the bile someone is saying about it.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't tolerate them in books whose focus is firearms. A book specifically about Glocks mentioning something that doesn't exist on a Glock - garbage.

If the book is simply a story - western, fiction etc - IDGAF about it. I'm there for the story and rarely does the gun matter.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Gun goofs are no different from history goofs, car goofs, aircraft goofs or any other printed goof. Sometimes the writer simply didn't know any better, sometimes he simply repeated something "everybody knows" and sometimes it is done for simple effect because he thinks the reader doesn't know any better.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
Online Sleepy
Campfire Regular
Reading is for suckers

If it ain't on TV, I ain't interested

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
I don’t read that 4th grade level bulls hit! At present I’m reading The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich! Try it…..you might learn something!

Any guns in that story?

smile

Bruce

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The cover of the paperback "Enemies at the Gate" showed a left handed Mosin Nagant. Bothered me a bit that there was such a major goof.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm told that there are Luggers and Mousers in it, Bruce.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not so much that I'd quit reading a good book because of it. But it is irritating, mostly because the author doesn't have to be a gun person to get it right. A few minutes research on the internet is all that's required. So what actually irritates me is that the writer is lazy.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not really, Shaun. A non-gunner might believe it is absolutely true that all gunpowder is called cordite, or that silencers work on revolvers, because "everybody knows that." Why bother researching if airport grounds are all tarmac? Everybody knows that. Why check to see if cowboys only loaded five rounds in a six-shooter?

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That doesn’t bother me as much as TV and movies portraying about what’s like to serve in the US uniform in a combat environment.

I cannot and will not watch modern military movies anymore. The amount of BS in these movies is so thick, it’s really unbelievable even though the stupidity is expected. Most people under 30 think the Call of Duty is pretty accurate assessment of combat.

What a friggin joke.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
.31 squirrel rifle shooting 1 inch at400 yards with iron sights. Lots of minor time frame or mechanism errors.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Paperbacks by CJ Box are full of gun goofs. Guns are very prominent in his stuff too.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
No "gun goofs" in Louis L'Amour's books.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am bugged when an author mentions a shooter using a " .9 mm" handgun. I usually put a stroke through the offending error and write in the correct description.

Jim

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Complains about gun goofs and then goes on to use the term “silencer”🙄🙄🙄🙄

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 3,114 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,728
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.