Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I see there are several legal colors to wear deer hunting in Sk. Was there a time when white was the only legal color?

Stand up and be counted, join a shooting sports organization
BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It was in '73 when I moose hunted there, at least for non-residents. Didn't see any natives wearing it.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tundragriz;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day's looking to be a good one out in Montrose, Pa and you're all well.

With the understanding that I'm answering this off of a foggy old guy, only one cup of coffee into the day because it's still dark here in BC sort of situation.

When I was a kid, my Dad and favorite uncle would leave on an annual moose hunt a few hours north of us in what was known as "the bush". They'd be east of Hudson Bay and Erwood so nearly Manitoba truly.

My family found it "interesting" to say the least that I'd make a fuss not being invited along from a very, very young age while my brother who is 9 years older than me never really wanted to go, though he did try it at least one year - maybe?

Me in '65 with a moose head and my ever present rifle. Some of this runs pretty deep in us does it not? wink

[Linked Image]

Most of the guys wore white because they could buy used white coveralls from the industrial cleaning places who supplied them to different industries. Back then in the '60's the colors were yellow, scarlet, orange or white and any combination of them except the cap couldn't be white.

Usually Dad and Uncle Frank had these heavy scarlet caps that the ear flaps would fold down, but not the classic Elmer Fudd type - it was different.

I recall seeing someone with either a scarlet or orange suit when I was about 15 and thinking they sort of stuck out like packrat crap in a sugar bowl. It was that uncommon to see any suit besides white in our part of eastern Saskatchewan.

We don't have mandatory colors here in BC so when I moved here and started hunting with Dad who'd moved here earlier, one of the first things I did was buy him a fancy and for us then expensive warm camo cap with ear flaps from Cabela's. Because it was a gift from my wife and I, he wore it instead of his old Saskatchewan scarlet or orange cap, but I'm wondering if he was like me and had "lucky" hunting clothes?

Funny I never thought about that until just now, but it could be.

Dad was a staid and practical farmer and a devout believer, so likely he never gave "lucky" hunting clothes a second thought. Still, I had to get this inexplicable belief from someone, didn't I? laugh

Hope that answered your question sir or at least gave you a chuckle.

Good luck on your hunts this fall.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for the responses. Been talking about a Sk deer hunt, and I was interested maybe 20yrs ago, but just from recollection I thought back then white was the only legal color, guess that wasn't the case.

Stand up and be counted, join a shooting sports organization
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I know all white used to be legal, as well as all blaze orange. At least that's what it was last time I deer hunted in SK, but it's been a while.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I seem to remember hearing white was mandatory for moose hunting in Manitoba—years ago?

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
I know all white used to be legal, as well as all blaze orange. At least that's what it was last time I deer hunted in SK, but it's been a while.

With a orange hat or touque. Red was considered the same as orange

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Actually the legal colours were a complete outer covering of white, "blaze orange" scarlet, or yellow, and the hat any of those colours except white. The regs have been simplified since then and now do not require pants or sleeves in highly visible colours.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
92 members (10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 16penny, 15 invisible), 1,666 guests, and 732 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,756
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.