Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I'm wondering about rear sight options for a model 37 Ithaca slug barrel. I would like a receiver sight except for the fact that I interchange this barrel with a smoothbore shotgun barrel. Any help would be appreciated thank you.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On Friday, I finished up fitting a set of Williams Gun Sight replacement sights to my recently acquired 1960 20ga Deerslayer. The rear is their standard WDOS that slides into a dovetail and secures with a setscrew. The front is a fiber-optic bead specially shaped for the push-button ramp on the Deerslayers. I replaced the open sight blade with a peep blade which also fits on their WGRS receiver sights. I used a plain one, not the one with fiber dots on each side (hard to find just now). The setup is vastly superior to the original open sight paired with the translucent orange triangle front, which simple disappears for me. I'd prefer a blade to the bead, but feel lucky I didn't have to totally cobble something together myself.

Be aware that the front sight they provide isn't a true, sharp-cornered triangle like the original, but has little shoulders on the sides which I had to file flat with a needle file, a minor PITA. Once filed, I tapped it gently into the slot with a drift. The little spring-loaded button wasn't really needed to hold it, but I left it in to preserve the parts. Also be aware that the front ramp won't take a lot of pounding while fitting the insert. About 50 years ago, my late brother was fitting a steel blade to the identical ramp on a Super Single and broke one side of the slot. Epoxy saved the day, but better to not do it in the first place. The WDOS rear was snug, setscrew not really needed, but again I used it anyway. Windage and elevation are built in, no drifting needed.

I bought the 37 sight set direct from Williams and the peep insert from Midway. About $40 for the set and $5 for the peep, IIRC.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com

I didn't check, but these guys has many options for many guns.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Perhaps it was a Williams sight setup I saw on the 12 ga. Deerslayer I almost bought a few years back. This thread got me thinking about that gun because it had some custom (?) sights that looked both functional and good looking. Almost bought the gun out of nostalgia. I started deer hunting almost five decades ago when slug guns were all smooth bore and most only had a bead front sight. Ithaca Deerslayers were considered "state of the art", at least to us young guys. Even back then there were a few with some sort of aftermarket sights. Never owned a Deerslayer but I've shot them and loved 'em but never had one. So apparently there are sighting options available. I'll have to remember that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Pappy348; 07/29/19.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's plenty of "meat" in that sight rib for mounting a short rail section for a red dot or scout, but since mine doesn't (easily) accept other barrels, I opted for irons so I can shoot birds and bunnies too. I'm also cheap, at times anyway.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's a thing of beauty !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pappy:

Sweet setup. I think I will try that out.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gonna put the same setup on a couple of TC Strikes for my sons' Colorado elk hunt in September. Both were here Saturday for a treestand fest and lunch, and both approved the sight picture. The Strikes come with Williams open sights, so only the blades need to be swapped out for apertures. Easy-peasy, and cheap.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Thanks for all the responses.

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Tagged for later reference...Pappy, thanks for the pix.

============================================================

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shot it a bit yesterday with some old Remington Sluggers. Little bugger kicks! Can't wait (!) to try some Brennekes.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
TAG

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
tag

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Where would I find sights like those pictured above n this thread?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Quite a few years ago (still doing my tool and die apprenticeship I believe), I stripped down the receiver of my 12 gauge Deerslayer, took it into work and drilled and tapped it for a receiver sight, don’t remember which one. I then machined a steel blade front sight to replace the orange triangle, making it with a base that fit into the dovetail the orange one fits into. Some years later, I cut a 28 inch full choke barrel on a 16 gauge model 37 to 24 inches (it was the tightest shooting shotgun I’d ever seen), d & t’d that receiver and sweated a ramp gold bead sight on for my son to use. It made a pretty good slug gun for him.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim585
Where would I find sights like those pictured above n this thread?

I don’t see the Williams Firesight set for Ithaca listed on their site now. Maybe if you call them, they can fix you up. The parts for the rear sight set are shown below:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005987284?pid=211355

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005995365?pid=496762

The Deerslayer front sight is an odd duck. You may have to use the original or file something to fit.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
TAG

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Thank you Pappy, Much appreciated. I ordered both products.

As for the front sight, any recommendation of exactly what part (product) to start with before filing would be appreciated too. The height is likely important.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used the one that came with that Williams Firesight set, but it had to be filed down a little to fit. I didn’t see that set listed on their site, but a call to them might get you one. Otherwise, you might have to whittle some brass stock to fit.

I just got done sighting in an early Deluxe Deerslayer, the one that came with a factory-mounted Williams receiver sight. With nothing else on hand, I used the original orange triangle. Ithaca also had a black triangle that came with some models, but I haven’t seen one since the ‘60s or early ‘70s.

That rib on the Deerslayer barrel is just begging to be drilled and tapped for a base for a red dot, or the dovetail base Skinner sells.

EDIT: They make a bunch of
Firesights for pistols with narrow bases. One of those might be relatively easy to fit, but again, a call to Williams for their help would be a good place to start.

Last edited by Pappy348; 10/05/23.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 68 invisible), 2,350 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,655
Posts18,455,579
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.