Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
79S Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The couple, who did not want to be identified, thought they were buying 100 empty gun storage cases from a military surplus website to resell on eBay.

“It’s just a case, everybody can buy it online,” one of them said.

But when a friend cracked open one of the cases, they found it was far from empty.

The couple found at least a dozen fully automatic M16s designed strictly for military use.

Not sure what to do, they reported it to authorities.

Within hours, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives seized the single box and quickly got a search warrant for the storage unit containing 100 more. Experts were shocked by what they found.

https://www.kktv.com/2022/09/27/box-m16-weapons-shipped-couples-home/?outputType=amp

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Why would they say anything?

Sheesh

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
man sheeit. If i bought a couch off the craig list and it had cushions fulla cash and cheeba

Dis neeguh aint sayn sheeit

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by slumlord

Sheesh
LOL. Same thought.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
😳

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B2

79S Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Sheesh

Thought the same thing.. then every-time a thread is started on what’s the best AR15 you could say well my m16 is the best. Made bybcolt??! Whoever they are..

Last edited by 79S; 09/27/22.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Pretty cool surprise.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I never get that lucky.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Fremin says the military carefully tracks all its weapons, because any misplaced weapons can be extremely dangerous.

We're talking about the US military, correct? laugh

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
man sheeit. If i bought a couch off the craig list and it had cushions fulla cash and cheeba

laugh laugh laugh

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Kinda like a storage unit auction. ALL the chit in there is YOURS if you’re the high bidder.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Interesting legalities, which I don't fully understand...

If the government sold it, the buyer owns it.

However, the new owner may not be able to legally possess it. Possession and ownership are separate things. So the immediate first step is to get the firearms into the hands of an FFL who has the right license to handle them. Then negotiate from there.

IIRC, government sales, such as CMP do not require an FFL.

An interesting riddle for legal minds to solve.

Last edited by denton; 09/27/22.

Be not weary in well doing.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Damn… that would be a find. What are they going for now a days like $12-15 grand a piece?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Mum's the word. I remember an article in the Pioneer Press from roughly 25 years ago about a automatic Thompson sub machine gun being found in a St. Paul attic. The guy who found it turned it in. Probably belonged to Dillinger. Oh well.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
HMMMMMM- - - - -12 guns per case, and they bought 100 cases. That's enough to equip a fair-sized militia! The goobermint obviously screwed up, letting that number of guns go missing. Chances are the paperwork SNAFU would never have been discovered if they had just kept their pie holes shut!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I worked in our local gun store during my high school and college years. Atlanta.

A shipment of six AR-15’s came in one day and while we were logging them in, checking chambers to ensure they were unloaded, etc, we found the safety went all the way around to the full auto position. Huh? The receivers were clearly marked “AR” and were Colt mfg. We loaded a magazine and went out back and discovered they were indeed full auto!

We kept the secret while owner wondered what to do with his six new toys. He sold one or two to friends and a few days later ATF showed up and simply asked “Where are they?” “Excuse me, but what?” “You know what….now where are those M-16’s you recently received?” We showed him our recently received “AR-15’s” and pleaded ignorance. ATF pulled the 4473’s of the ones sold and directed the folks to bring em back in or else. Turns out Colt had notified the authorities of their assembly line error and that started the ball rolling. ATF got all six of them, carted them off and that was the last we heard of it.

Last edited by Godogs57; 09/27/22.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
What are lowers these days, $50? Just buy some lowers and strip out the parts. Destroy the receivers and those things were 100% legal.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
HMMMMMM- - - - -12 guns per case, and they bought 100 cases. That's enough to equip a fair-sized militia! The goobermint obviously screwed up, letting that number of guns go missing. Chances are the paperwork SNAFU would never have been discovered if they had just kept their pie holes shut!
Yep.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bbassi
Fremin says the military carefully tracks all its weapons, because any misplaced weapons can be extremely dangerous.

We're talking about the US military, correct? laugh

Here's how "careful" they are:

By the time the last U.S. transport aircraft left Afghan airspace on Aug. 30, 2021, 70 percent of U.S. weapons given to the Afghan forces over the past 16 years were left in the country as well as nearly $48 million worth of ammunition.

In all, the United States left behind more than $7 billion worth of weapons and equipment when it left Afghanistan last year...

There are more than 250,000 automatic rifles, 95 drones, and more than a million mortar rounds that require little training to use. And if the Taliban don’t use the systems, the cash-starved militant group could pass them on to American adversaries or they could find their way into the hands of terror groups.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2022/04/28/the-u-s-left-billions-worth-of-weapons-in-afghanistan/

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeBob
What are lowers these days, $50? Just buy some lowers and strip out the parts. Destroy the receivers and those things were 100% legal.

That's a pretty high risk vs reward.

A dozen semi auto AR-15s in A2 configuration is worth maybe $10,000.

Getting caught playing that game is worth 10 years in a Fed Pen.

Originally Posted by Godogs57
I worked in our local gun store during my high school and college years. Atlanta.

A shipment of six AR-15’s came in one day and while we were logging them in, checking chambers to ensure they were unloaded, etc, we found the safety went all the way around to the full auto position. Huh? The receivers were clearly marked “AR” and were Colt mfg. We loaded a magazine and went out back and discovered they were indeed full auto!

We kept the secret while owner wondered what to do with his six new toys. He sold one or two to friends and a few days later ATF showed up and simply asked “Where are they?” “Excuse me, but what?” “You know what….now where are those M-16’s you recently received?” We showed him our recently received “AR-15’s” and pleaded ignorance. ATF pulled the 4473’s of the ones sold and directed the folks to bring em back in or else. Turns out Colt had notified the authorities of their assembly line error and that started the ball rolling. ATF got all six of them, carted them off and that was the last we heard of it.

The Fed gears may move slow but they grind fine.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (10ring1, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,729 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,642
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.