Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Recently, I had the opportunity to acquire (and missed...) a BSA Martini in 17 HMR, mostly, I wanted it for the absolutely gorgeous curly maple stock.... and also because it was a martini, and a 17hmr. Also low 200's serial.

That being said...reviews/info regarding BSA are spotty...

Did I miss out on not bidding enough on it? It sold for 425ish.

H&R Discussion Discord: https://discord.gg/4MqJrMvZZK
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I would have definitely grabbed it for $425.

The one I have was originally a .22 Long Rifle target model, converted to centerfire and rechambered to .22 Hornet. It's super-accurate, partly because the trigger-pull is great.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm a Martini fanboy since way back. $425 would've had me scrambling for my wallet also, even though I've never been a huge fan of .17HMR. No telling though how high the bidding would've gone with another party (you) stepping into the auction. Such guns have been escalating in value, like everything else, and the $600 we were spending for nicely customized small BSA Martinis five or ten years ago has now become more like the neighborhood of $1K.

I spent $1K for a customized Martini Cadet earlier this year. It happened to exactly engender all the features I had mentally applied to the custom Martini I had been wanting to build for the longest time: color case hardened receiver, 26" octagon barrel, pretty walnut pistol grip stock in "classic" style, Parker-Hale target sight, bushed firing pin, trigger job, chambered in a hot pistol cartridge (.357 Maximum). 6 pounds 4 ounces all up. All those features, added to the current base cost of a donor Martini Cadet ($600 give or take) would've shot me waaaaay over what I paid for the gun.

Other Martinis currently in regular use by myself: 1950-vintage BSA International Mk I, and pre-war BSA Model 12, both .22 LR. The International is without a doubt the most accurate .22 I've ever owned, and brother I've owned a bunch. The Model 12 is almost there also, practically speaking, but its trigger (as good as it is) isn't in the same league as the one on the International.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 09/24/22.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The pre-war BSA target models (12, 12/15, 15) are hell-for-stout, with very fast lock time, and tuneable triggers - with world class barrels that just don't seem to ever wear out. Convertible to centerfire by good single shot gunsmiths (but try finding one of that disappearing breed these days). There's a couple pre-inlet stockmakers out there, so while not exactly cheap at least that stuff is available. No big deal to install a different/better barrel if that's your want, and sights/scopes are infinitely available. The same can be said of the Martini Cadet, in terms of customizing.

The biggest weaknesses: extractors are on the weak side (not a ton of leverage) when converted to a hot centerfire. Sticky cases are an issue, so stick with sane loads. Of course, whatever cartridge that's chosen must make the awkward turn down and then up and into the chamber - not an issue if rimfires are adhered to but definitely a consideration when contemplating a longer centerfire. While they are very strong actions able to withstand incredible rearward pressure, they are limited by the hoop strength of the barrel tenon in terms of withstanding pressures, so cartridge diameter is also a consideration.

The pre-war BSA's were in direct competition with the Winchester 52, Stevens Walnut Hill, and Remington 37 among the smallbore competitors of the late 20's-late 40's. They were held in very high regard by those fellas but were pretty rarely seen on the firing lines. Reason: the high tariff imposed back then on such goods which made them a lot more expensive than the domestic rifles. They abound in the U.S. today because the tariffs were eased and because of the draconian impositions placed on shooters in the UK which put the kibosh to a lot of shooting clubs (Smallbore Societies) there and freed up a metric sh*t ton of those rifles to be shipped to America. (I know a local guy who personally imported 100's, maybe 1000's, of Model 12's and 12/15's from England in the 1970's-80's, bought for peanuts from defunct Smallbore Clubs and sold here for walnuts. Result: still lots of them floating around this neck of the woods.)

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
The 425 was the ending bid, I have no idea what it might have actual gone for if I started bidding and ...well...hindsight.

IC B2

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
The pre-war BSA target models (12, 12/15, 15) are hell-for-stout, with very fast lock time, and tuneable triggers - with world class barrels that just don't seem to ever wear out. Convertible to centerfire by good single shot gunsmiths (but try finding one of that disappearing breed these days). There's a couple pre-inlet stockmakers out there, so while not exactly cheap at least that stuff is available. No big deal to install a different/better barrel if that's your want, and sights/scopes are infinitely available. The same can be said of the Martini Cadet, in terms of customizing.

The biggest weaknesses: extractors are on the weak side (not a ton of leverage) when converted to a hot centerfire. Sticky cases are an issue, so stick with sane loads. Of course, whatever cartridge that's chosen must make the awkward turn down and then up and into the chamber - not an issue if rimfires are adhered to but definitely a consideration when contemplating a longer centerfire. While they are very strong actions able to withstand incredible rearward pressure, they are limited by the hoop strength of the barrel tenon in terms of withstanding pressures, so cartridge diameter is also a consideration.

The pre-war BSA's were in direct competition with the Winchester 52, Stevens Walnut Hill, and Remington 37 among the smallbore competitors of the late 20's-late 40's. They were held in very high regard by those fellas but were pretty rarely seen on the firing lines. Reason: the high tariff imposed back then on such goods which made them a lot more expensive than the domestic rifles. They abound in the U.S. today because the tariffs were eased and because of the draconian impositions placed on shooters in the UK which put the kibosh to a lot of shooting clubs (Smallbore Societies) there and freed up a metric sh*t ton of those rifles to be shipped to America. (I know a local guy who personally imported 100's, maybe 1000's, of Model 12's and 12/15's from England in the 1970's-80's, bought for peanuts from defunct Smallbore Clubs and sold here for walnuts. Result: still lots of them floating around this neck of the woods.)

Damn.

Now I'm kicking myself for sure...

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Don't give up. Like everything else, bargains pop up from time to time. And like everything else in the world of gunnery, knowledge acquired before taking the plunge puts you in the catbird seat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve learned to bid the most I’m willing to pay (before I get my blood up!) then just wait and see. I do peek to see how it’s going, but am pretty good at leaving it be if I lose out early. Somebody tried to snipe my last one and $25 more would have won it, but they quit.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I picked up a nice MK II International this spring for $500 and thought I had found a deal.
I shot it quite abit this summer and it shoots as good and one would expect. Great ! I am currently in the process of modifying it into some sporting version .
They are fun rifles !

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458Win
I picked up a nice MK II International this spring for $500 and thought I had found a deal.
I shot it quite abit this summer and it shoots as good and one would expect. Great ! I am currently in the process of modifying it into some sporting version .
They are fun rifles !

I believe Roger Barlow had an article long ago on converting one to a 22 Mag sporter. I may have it saved.

Bruce

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
When shopping for an International, there's no difference between a MkI and a MkII except for method of trigger adjustment. The MkII trigger adjustment screws (for pull and overtravel) are accessible on the outside of the gun, on the MkI you have to drop the bolt/trigger group out of the receiver (held in by a single thumb screw) and snake a long skinny Allen wrench down into the innards. Not a tremendous hassle, but there it is. Then again, once your trigger is adjusted how often do you see yourself re-adjusting it?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Just saw two of these at local GS one 12/15 22rf one international approximately $600.00 & $999.00 cheaper for uz guys. Missed them by this much---- GWP. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
here's one in 22lr. Budd has this one for a long time.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've owned about 15 of the small frame Martinis, including one in the original .310 Cadet, an International .22, a 12/15 .22 and a 13 .22, plus a custom Greener takedown .22, a 15 converted to centerfire and rechambered to .22 Hornet, and numerous customized Cadets in everything from a .20 caliber wildcat on a blown out .218 Bee case to a .357 Magnum. Still have the 13, the custom Greener, a .218 Bee and a .225 Winchester.

I've never owned one that wouldn't shoot, although some required more load development work than others. They are fun little rifles.

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bcp
Originally Posted by 458Win
They are fun rifles !

I believe Roger Barlow had an article long ago on converting one to a 22 Mag sporter. I may have it saved.

Bruce

Some poor photos of it here:

https://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=118890&page=1

Bruce

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
That is quite a few Martini's you've had.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have thought about sending my Martini to Ralph Martini to be restocked.
It would be my double Martini !

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
grin

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

151 members (5sdad, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 24 invisible), 1,911 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,499
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.