Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Haha. How bout draw tags, auction tags, governors tags etc? I got very poor hunting skills, but I’ve killed a few bulls in the toughest state to kill elk in. Just curious.

For conversation, didn’t include Arizona, New Mexico or Nevada as they’re all draw states high higher success rates, guess Arizona has a few open units? Anyhow most will get the point.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]j names for boys

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
mule deer: I certainly am NOT upset - but I am surprised YOU are so stupid!
Sheesh.
Small man syndrome on full display - learn to live with it - or don't, I don't care.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

mule deer has forgotten more stuff about rifles, load, calibers, hunting than most on here claimed to know

No substitute for actual hunting in the field and he has decades of it.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Judman
Haha. How bout draw tags, auction tags, governors tags etc? I got very poor hunting skills, but I’ve killed a few bulls in the toughest state to kill elk in. Just curious.

For conversation, didn’t include Arizona, New Mexico or Nevada as they’re all draw states high higher success rates, guess Arizona has a few open units? Anyhow most will get the point.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]j names for boys

Kill a few elk in W WA and I listen to your advice. Tough to do consistently

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Exactly, some of us do. Gotta put your time and know the animal. 👍

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is knowing his name enough?

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
These days that question is a assbackwards approach to fill a need or want. Search needs to start with the bullet to be used for the job. Fair number of people pick the rifle and cartridge first then want to use some inadequate for elk wonder bullet. Never more evident than reading some of the replies on the fire...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
P
PSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
These days that question is a assbackwards approach to fill a need or want. Search needs to start with the bullet to be used for the job. Fair number of people pick the rifle and cartridge first then want to use some inadequate for elk wonder bullet. Never more evident than reading some of the replies on the fire...mb
IMHO.,

Right? You can kill an elk with anything. I've shot them with everything from a 375 to a 280, meat in the freezer. I've seen them killed with a 243 more times than I care to count, and a 243 in elk camp always makes me nervous, but I've seen it done. Even had a buddy kill one with a 223 after he got pissed shooting over the top to get them to leave the hay field and they didn't. They did when she went down, lol. When my girls were first and second year hunters, they packed a 6.5 swede. That was as low as I would go for elk. I guess the question I have is??? Do you have to justify the reason to buy a rifle? If you want to try a high bc combination, then buy it, and don't look back. I love the 6.5 caliber, but no one will sell me a Creedmoor unless its way too cheap, lol. But, lots of folks did cause it suddenly made them a sniper, lol. If ya want a new rifle and caliber, buy it. If ya want folks to tell you an 06 won't kill an elk at 400 yards, ill call them a liar, lol. If the wife asks why, "cause I was interested in it"!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Is that an honest elk rifle opinion, or are you pullin' our leg?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
All 3.

It would be awfully hard to not pick the .30-06 though.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 338reddog
I really like a 30/06 but have killed more animals with my 338 than any other caliber, followed by my 30/06. I have 270’s, 7mags, 300win and 300wby magnums plus a bunch of calibers below and above. My choice would depend on where I hunt or plan to hunt. Its still a hard choice for me so I have multiple choices, limited to one, 30/06!

I went with a 338.06 myself

smile They make some great .338 bullets in 200-210 grains that make it worthwhile.

I am just your average Joe.
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
An old friend who had lived in Colorado a lot of years and changed job's from time to time, guiding Elk hunters in between the every day job's. Later he repped for Ithaca for 5 or 6+ years , moving to Atlanta and Dallas with Ithaca , where he went to work at a large wholesaler in Dallas, where we got together as outside road reps, before I went to Stoeger & SAKO. All he had kept to hunt with was the Browning Safari Grade 7RMg he'd used in Colorado...and yes it was loaded with some really stout reload's by one of his denver dealers for him. As heavy as the Browning was it still left an "respectful" Impression on me that I remember commenting on. He laughed and told me if I wanted to hunt Elk in the Rockies I needed to get used to something with more punch than the 243's/ 25/06's 270's I was used to using in Texas for White Tails.and made a believer of me.

Over the years I've never been able to schedule an Elk Hunt, but I've learned to respect the "Elk rifles" I've learned to shoot from the 7rmg's, and became used to a couple 300Wmg's I usually paired with a 270 as they have almost the same drop patterns at distance, but my 9.3x62 CZ never got to go to Africa as planned ...but it does nail a 200lb+ hog DRT at way past 200 yards with ease.

The funniest story about having to shoot for proof of accuracy at a TXParks & Wildlife Axis hunt was when the Hunt Manager said I've never seen one of these, what do you plan to shoot with it .... we don't have any elephants in this Park .... and stuck his grading pencil thru one of the small cluster of bullet holes in the paper target and said I guess you can shoot straight with it all right. and stamped my target as "Passed".

Today my old friend is in failing health and tied to an air tank ...but he still won't sell me his Tikka 30'06 that I had put him onto when a big local dealer closed them out at bargain basement prices 6-7 years ago.
Ron

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cwill
I am just trying to justify the high bc cartridges being sold as the next best hunting rig?

You mentioned 400 yards as your limit for shooting an elk..............at that range, even to 600 yards, you absolutely do not need a "high BC" round, whatever that term means to you.

270, 280, 'o6, 308, 7-08 are perfect at that range with good bullets that have more than sufficient BC................you will realize real BC gains only past 600 yards or so with, the "high BC" rounds.

Probably more elk have been killed by a 270 & 'o6 than all else put together' I've killed more with a 270 than anything else to ranges a little over 500 yards.

JME, YMMV

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22

No, you must do the hero worship thing also . . .

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Dre
Elk are not bullet proof.
Put one in the boiler room and you’ll be fine.
Not even arrow proof. So as long as your legal hunting area extends at least a mile in all directions, there is snow on the ground & nothing funny happened to your bullet & you are an expert tracker. Nothing to worry about go small with your cartridge choices that are marginal.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Howdy all! New to the forum

New high-BC cartridges aren't necessary out to 400 yards imo (6.5 Creed/PRC, 28 Nolser, 300 PRC, etc). Any standard 270/308/30-06/338 will easily kill elk out beyond 500 yards. I dropped a cow elk in her tracks at 500 yards 17 years ago with a 338-06 and 210gr Partition. Both bullets stopped at hide on opposite side (heart shot). Since then I enjoy tracking in the dark timber and shots are rarely past 100 yards (Bringing a 300 BLK with a red dot this year shooting Barnes 120gr).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tough crowd!! 😂

I don't know if I was impressed or disappointed that it took 8 pages before even sniffing a pi$$ing match !

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Tough crowd!! 😂

I don't know if I was impressed or disappointed that it took 8 pages before even sniffing a pi$$ing match !

I went back to pages 8 and 9 and didn't even smell the faint aroma of a pizzing match. A lot of good comments about the 30-06. Did those turn you off?

Originally Posted by MontanaMan
I am just trying to justify the high bc cartridges being sold as the next best hunting rig?

You mentioned 400 yards as your limit for shooting an elk..............at that range, even to 600 yards, you absolutely do not need a "high BC" round, whatever that term means to you.

270, 280, 'o6, 308, 7-08 are perfect at that range with good bullets that have more than sufficient BC................you will realize real BC gains only past 600 yards or so with, the "high BC" rounds.

Probably more elk have been killed by a 270 & 'o6 than all else put together' I've killed more with a 270 than anything else to ranges a little over 500 yards.

JME, YMMV

MM
Great post.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Tough crowd!! 😂

I went back to pages 8 and 9 and didn't even smell the faint aroma of a pizzing match. A lot of good comments about the 30-06. Did those turn you off?

Originally Posted by MontanaMan

JME, YMMV

MM
Great post.
Just being cheeky bsa, I am always pleased whenever we have good camaraderie- like a campfire is supposed to be. So I was impressed- not disappointed we got through 8 whole pages.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by TracksWapiti
Howdy all! New to the forum

New high-BC cartridges aren't necessary out to 400 yards imo (6.5 Creed/PRC, 28 Nolser, 300 PRC, etc). Any standard 270/308/30-06/338 will easily kill elk out beyond 500 yards. I dropped a cow elk in her tracks at 500 yards 17 years ago with a 338-06 and 210gr Partition. Both bullets stopped at hide on opposite side (heart shot). Since then I enjoy tracking in the dark timber and shots are rarely past 100 yards (Bringing a 300 BLK with a red dot this year shooting Barnes 120gr).

So two shots dropped her in her tracks? They never did while levitating. I think the black out is just the gun for you.

My sock puppet has a sock puppet!
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 47 invisible), 2,661 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,597
Posts18,454,376
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.