24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I started a thread in the movie and book review section once..

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Chinese remake of BLOOD SIMPLE is called TALE OF TWO GUNS, referring to a gun goof.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have put more than one novel aside for not knowing their material

Sam......

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Probably more than it should! I love the Joe Pickett series by CJ Box, but some of the firearm related stuff is almost unbearable! The bad thing is he gives credit to some law enforcement/game & fish personal for their contributions pertaining to firearm data. Continues to give me great faith in our law enforcement personnel! ☹️ memtb

Last edited by memtb; 09/27/22.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Borealis Bob
The cover of the paperback "Enemies at the Gate" showed a left handed Mosin Nagant. Bothered me a bit that there was such a major goof.
Enemies at the Gate was riddled with goofs. Every caliber designation was preceded by a period. I especially enjoyeded the ".205mm" artillery. It must have been very useful for bombarding bacteria.

One unerring mark of the love of the truth is not entertaining any proposition with greater assurance than the proofs it is built upon will warrant. John Locke, 1690
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
No. It’s entertainment. Just like when Keanu Reeves or Jason Stantham Kill twenty men with their bare hands. Or Jason Borne does incredible stunts. It’s the script. Marshal Dillon killed thousands of bad guys and had more fatal wounds than any human could survive. Gun barrel to the back of the head that only causes momentary unconsciousness.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A lot. It's not that hard to get it right. Indicates laziness on the part of the writer.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Mbogo2106
Complains about gun goofs and then goes on to use the term “silencer”🙄🙄🙄🙄
Actually Hiram Maxim called his invention a silencer. Google "Maxim Silencer ad" to see many advertisements for his silencers.

One unerring mark of the love of the truth is not entertaining any proposition with greater assurance than the proofs it is built upon will warrant. John Locke, 1690
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Many gun writers write to hear themselves talk, John B. is one of the few exceptions.

If you want to learn, You Tube has some excellent teachers.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Drives me nuts! Let us not forget the always popular ".... smell of cordite hanging in the air".
Cordite is surprisingly persistent. I recently read a novel where it was hanging in the air after a battle set in the 26th century.

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Cordite? Can you still get it? I assume it would havethe same odor as smokeless. Must be a pain to load
Then there is the antiigun journalist complaining about sulfurous odors fromAR's. Must be cowboy 5.56

Last edited by kennyd; 09/27/22.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
John D. McDonald was one of the most groan worthy. He had his protagonist and a companion standing on the edge of a canyon in AZ. The companion was shot from the opposite side of the canyon, a distance of several hundred yards. Our hero naturally concluded that the shot could only have been fired from a .44 Magnum. Since the .44 Magnum was so rare he proceeded to comb the state for recent sales as a way to find the perpetrator.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Books are for cripples

Now movie goofs….

But what about news goofs…I’m all over that. Newshawks never sleep

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I can't remember any of them specifically, but the sheer volume of firearm ignorance in the Lee Child books about Jack Reacher was always enough to throw me out of the stories.

If I remember right, there were multiple passages about flipping off the safeties on Glocks. There was also the time that Reacher was shot point blank in the chest with a 38 Special, but the round was so wimpy it failed to penetrate and seriously injure him. Come on.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just watched an episode of Gunsmoke in which a guy shoots Matt Dillon in the small of the back with a .45 Colt - and the bullet just lodges against his spine. He must wear some pretty tough shirts, huh?

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Kinda waiting on our own Johnny Burns to come out with one.
" Business Ethics in the Firearms Industry"

👍👍👍🤣🤣🤣

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Cordite smell in the air. I believe you'll find that in " Lone Survivor" Marcus Luttrell 's SEAL book too..
.mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I just watched an episode of Gunsmoke in which a guy shoots Matt Dillon in the small of the back with a .45 Colt - and the bullet just lodges against his spine. He must wear some pretty tough shirts, huh?

It was only a flesh wound.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

Rocky, you didn't happen to notice the writer who wrote that, did you? I knew a number of the writers. A few knew something about firearms in the old West, but most did not.

Here is a notice from John Mantley, Executive Producer of Gunsmoke for years. It was the first page in every Gunsmoke script while he was Exec. Producer. Some actors and directors paid some attention to it but others could not have cared less.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

As an aside, you, as a former pilot flying in very dangerous skies, might find interesting. John Mantley was born in Canada. When Great Britain entered the war against Germany in 1939, John joined the Canadian Royal Air Force where he trained to fly fighters. He was later sent to England where he flew Spitfires against the Germans. So you and Mantley have something in common. cool

FWIW.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
148 members (257_X_50, 338Rules, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 1minute, 300_savage, 18 invisible), 1,974 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,650
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.