Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Background and links:

G.A. Precision (GAP) rifle in 6.5 PRC

Rifle:

Defiance Machine Ruckus GA Hunter (XM Length, 20 MOA integral Picatinny rail)
Manners Composite Stocks EH1 with adjustable cheekpiece, custom camo (thanks, Tom smile )
Bartlein Barrels 24-inch #4 Bull, 1-7.75 twist, carbon-wrapped
Hawkins Precision bottom metal
TriggerTech Diamond trigger
Atlas Bipod Model BT46-LW17

Optics:

[Linked Image]
Full weight mode
Vortex Optics RAZOR HD Gen II 4-27x56
Burris Optics XTR Signature Rings (34mm)

[Linked Image]
Lightweight Mode
Vortex Optics RAZOR HD LHT 3-15x42
Vortex Precision Matched Rings (30mm)

Load Development (what's that?):

To take full advantage of the Ruckus' 3.1-inch mag length, I had George Gardner at GAP throat this chamber for the Berger Bullets 6.5mm 156-grain EOL Elite Hunter. The fine folks at Berger were very generous in supplying me with bullets. Many thanks.

When the rifle arrived, most other components were scarce, but I was able to get my hands on some Hornady brass. The folks at Vihtavuori Smokeless Powders kindly provided some N565 High Energy Powder. And last, but certainly not least, our own shortactionsmoker (Darrik) at Whittaker Guns scrounged up some Federal 210M primers and sent them my way.

With hunting season pressing, a quick Satterlee ladder test generated a nice accuracy node at ~2935 ft/sec. I duped the dummy round provided by George for my OAL, loaded up some virgin Hornady brass with some charges bracketing my accuracy node, and hit the range.

I guess at this point, pictures are worth thousands of words, so:

[Linked Image]
First day after ladder test, 100-yard groups (.2 grain increments, FWIW).

[Linked Image]
First-day 200-yard group at accuracy node.

So, yeah. I was pretty much done with load development. George took all the fun out of it. smile

I took the rifle (in lightweight mode) on a Coues deer hunt with our own GregW, who had all his i's dotted and t's crossed, as usual. Alas, I was too slow getting over to and setting up at a shooting spot before a pretty good Coues deer buck followed the shadows around a knob and out of sight. We passed on a much smaller buck the last afternoon. The rifle remains unblooded.

INTERMISSION

Sooooo ... now we're getting on to the 2022 season, I actually drew a tag, and lo and behold the fine folks at Lapua got some of their very fine 6.5 PRC brass into my hands. I figured what the heck, George can't lock down ALL load development, so I went to the range Friday with a few goodies to shoot, including a Satterlee ladder test in virgin Lapua brass for the GAP. I set up and ... well, again here's a picture:

[Linked Image]
That's a 6-shot ~2.25-inch group at 300 yards while conducting Satterlee test. cool

So, I tinkered with POI a bit and shot a final group at 300 yards:

[Linked Image]

Sub .5-MOA. George wins. smile

Hopefully, there will be more to come as the season progresses ...

Postscript: Things I'd do differently -

1] Really none, because at the time of building, there was no XM-length AICS-based DBM unit available. But, that.
2] Even with a 20 MOA rail, this rifle required heaps more in order to approach the bottom of the big Vortex's elevation travel. So, I'd still opt for the Burris XTRs, but I gotta say, the Burris badging on the 34mm rings is rather loud.
3] It turned out I did not need the adjustable comb/cheekpiece unit on the Manners stock. It doesn't bother me, but I could have done without it.

Last edited by RickBin; 09/27/22.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickBin
Background and links:

G.A. Precision (GAP) rifle in 6.5 PRC

Rifle:

Defiance Machine Ruckus GA Hunter (XM Length, 20 MOA integral Picatinny rail)
Manners Composite Stocks EH1 with adjustable cheekpiece, custom camo (thanks, Tom smile )
Bartlein Barrels 24-inch #4 Bull, 1-7.75 twist, carbon-wrapped
Hawkins Precision bottom metal
TriggerTech Diamond trigger
Atlas Bipod Model BT46-LW17

Optics:

[Linked Image]
Full weight mode
Vortex Optics RAZOR HD Gen II 4-27x56
Burris Optics XTR Signature Rings (34mm)

[Linked Image]
Lightweight Mode
Vortex Optics RAZOR HD LHT 3-15x42
Vortex Precision Matched Rings (30mm)

Load Development (what's that?):

To take full advantage of the Ruckus' 3.1-inch mag length, I had George Gardner at GAP throat this chamber for the Berger Bullets 6.5mm 156-grain EOL Elite Hunter. The fine folks at Berger were very generous in supplying me with bullets. Many thanks.

When the rifle arrived, most other components were scarce, but I was able to get my hands on some Hornady brass. The folks at Vihtavuori Smokeless Powders kindly provided some N565 High Energy Powder. And last, but certainly not least, our own shortactionsmoker (Darrik) at Whittaker Guns scrounged up some Federal 210M primers and sent them my way.

With hunting season pressing, a quick Satterlee ladder test generated a nice accuracy node at ~2935 ft/sec. I duped the dummy round provided by George for my OAL, loaded up some virgin Hornady brass with some charges bracketing my accuracy node, and hit the range.

I guess at this point, pictures are worth thousands of words, so:

[Linked Image]
First day after ladder test, 100- Hundo groups (.2 grain increments, FWIW).

[Linked Image]
First-day 200-hundo group at accuracy node.

So, yeah. I was pretty much done with load development. George took all the fun out of it. smile

I took the rifle (in lightweight mode) on a Coues deer hunt with our own GregW, who had all his i's dotted and t's crossed, as usual. Alas, I was too slow getting over to and setting up at a shooting spot before a pretty good Coues deer buck followed the shadows around a knob and out of sight. We passed on a much smaller buck the last afternoon. The rifle remains unblooded.

INTERMISSION

Sooooo ... now we're getting on to the 2022 season, I actually drew a tag, and lo and behold the fine folks at Lapua got some of their very fine 6.5 PRC brass into my hands. I figured what the heck, George can't lock down ALL load development, so I went to the range Friday with a few goodies to shoot, including a Satterlee ladder test in virgin Lapua brass for the GAP. I set up and ... well, again here's a picture:

[Linked Image]
That's a 6-shot ~2.25-inch group at 300 hundo while conducting Satterlee test. cool

So, I tinkered with POI a bit and shot a final group at 300 Hundo:

[Linked Image]

Sub .5-MOA. George wins. smile

Hopefully, there will be more to come as the season progresses ...

Postscript: Things I'd do differently -

1] Really none, because at the time of building, there was no XM-length AICS-based DBM unit available. But, that.
2] Even with a 20 MOA rail, this rifle required heaps more in order to approach the bottom of the big Vortex's elevation travel. So, I'd still opt for the Burris XTRs, but I gotta say, the Burris badging on the 34mm rings is rather loud.
3] It turned out I did not need the adjustable comb/cheekpiece unit on the Manners stock. It doesn't bother me, but I could have done without it.

Have no idea who George is? With that when shooting a rifle like you have. One must refer to yards as “hundo” it’s prs talk. I don’t write the rules I just follow them. I edited yo post to reflect that..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
When you run a forum that has famous [fat, old, blowhard] guys posting and getting 20 billion views, you can afford custom rifles.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Remsen
When you run a forum that has famous [fat, old, blowhard] guys posting and getting 20 billion views, you can afford custom rifles.

Hey I’m seasonally plump

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 79S
Have no idea who George is? With that when shooting a rifle like you have. One must refer to yards as “hundo” it’s prs talk. I don’t write the rules I just follow them. I edited yo post to reflect that..

George Gardener of GA Precision.

https://www.gaprecision.net/about-ga-precision/meet-the-staff/george-gardner.html

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Lotsa work can go into that!

Nice rifle!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Another Loony steps out of the shadows!

You and your rifle are a good team!

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Nice rifle.
Shoots really nice groups.
How many rounds have you put thru it so far??
It might not even be hitting it's best potential yet.
Hopefully you can kill something with it 👍👍👍
We all love " pics or it never happened"

You got some messed up looking fingers and finger nails though.
🥴🥴😄😄😄

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Wasn’t he a big bushnell guy? Some more vortex for the win!!! Their stock is definitely goin up👊🏻😎

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
GAP still is a big promoter of Bushnell Elite Tactical. They're in the same town and Bushnell is a huge sponsor of PRS.

IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by 79S

https://www.gaprecision.net/about-ga-precision/meet-the-staff/george-gardner.html
Listen man I work at the dump it’s equivalent to a county dump I make $12.62 an hour after taxes and paying medical because I only work 38 1/2 hour work weeks so I don’t get benefits so I have to pay for my own medical insurance which is 600 a month. I bring home $1026 a month $513 bucks every two week. So I’ll never be able to afford GA precision rifle and I will never meet this George Gardner either. I did see a savage axis I wanted it was $219 so I found a lawnmower at the dump and put a little work into it got it running and hung up some signs mowing yards for $20 but one of my first job was a yard that was 2 acres I spent the better part of five hours this is after I got off work mowing this place. After I was done I went to go collect my 20 bucks the lady started yelling through the door to get off her property or she was going to call the state troopers so I got out there. I ended up making about $60 until the lawnmower engine blew up and pushed back to the dump and can you believe it they charged me 30 bucks to dispose of it. So in the end only made $30 dollars.

Last edited by 79S; 09/27/22.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh don’t forget the white oakleys and monster energy hat…

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Listen man I work at the dump it’s equivalent to a county dump I make $12.62 an hour after taxes and paying medical because I only work 38 1/2 hour work weeks so I don’t get benefits so I have to pay for my own medical insurance which is 600 a month. I bring home $1026 a month $513 bucks every two week. So I’ll never be able to afford GA precision rifle and I will never meet this George Gardner either. I did see a savage axis I wanted it was $219 so I found a lawnmower at the dump and put a little work into it got it running and hung up some signs mowing yards for $20 but one of my first job was a yard that was 2 acres I spent the better part of five hours this is after I got off work mowing this place. After I was done I went to go collect my 20 bucks the lady started yelling through the door to get off her property or she was going to call the state troopers so I got out there. I ended up making about $60 until the lawnmower engine blew up and pushed back to the dump and can you believe it they charged me 30 bucks to dispose of it. So in the end only made $30 dollars.

Anymore medical insurance is overrated.

I'm gonna start a givesendgo campaign to get you a new mower. I'll set the campaign's goal high enough to cover a self propelled model!

#WeGotU

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Fine shooting

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
That's a nice piece of iron Rick... Congratulations!

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
GAP still is a big promoter of Bushnell Elite Tactical. They're in the same town and Bushnell is a huge sponsor of PRS.

Oh, I’ll sleep better tonight!👊🏻

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
How much money did you spend to get that kind of "accuracy"? wink Just curious. whistle

Last edited by Tarquin; 09/27/22.

Tarquin
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Tarquin
How much money did you spend to get that kind of "accuracy"? wink Just curious. whistle
Hey why dont you post up pic of one of your rifles..
Maybe even some of your targets you have shot also...

You know...
" pics or it never happened" kinda thing....

👍👍👍🤣🤣🤣🤣

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well Ric, it's a good looking outfit and it shoots nice. If'n them squares are an inch I see sub moa but not sub .5 moa. You gotta be 8snake to do that...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by Tarquin
Hey why dont you post up pic of one of your rifles..
Maybe even some of your targets you have shot also...

You know...
" pics or it never happened" kinda thing....

👍👍👍🤣🤣🤣🤣

LOL! Had no idea you cared!

Tarquin
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1lesfox, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 52 invisible), 2,578 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,361
Posts18,468,985
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.