Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Check out Barranti Custom Leather, I have over a dozen of Mikes custom rigs, both belt rigs, cross draw & shoulder holsters & they are fully adjustable & very comfortable to wear, even with long barreled guns. This shoulder rig works for both my custom 8.5" bisley 45 & my FA 10" 41 magnum. Both are scoped.

Dick

Last edited by Idaho1945; 09/26/22.
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have the El Paso Tanker for my 6" Colt Anaconda. When I first got it, I took it up in the mtns when I went snowshoeing, carrying a 60lbs. pack. I couldn't tell it was even there. The holster made carrying that big revolver very easy. I got a Diamond D Alaskan for my Mod 29 because it holds it in a better position than the Alaskan for me. I haven't had much chance to carry it this way yet, but did buy one for a friend who seems to like it.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I went with the Uncle Mike's ballistic nylon versions. If I was still running up and down mountains, it might be different, but for the relatively flat midwest woods I haunt now, these work nicely. One of the holsters fits both of my scoped revolvers and the other is for my optics wearing semi-auto. Lot of nice options out there!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Diamond Custom Leather Alaskan:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

OR EP Saddlery Tanker:

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by deflave
It's not a true chest holster but my favorite is the Montana:
https://www.montanaholster.com/

Originally Posted by LeakyWaders
I ordered a Montana rig based upon deFlave's input.

I have a few of Norm's holsters - ...

He can accomodate optics as well - 2nd from left is for a Buckmark w/ red dot and center is for a scoped FA 83. If he doesn't have a pattern, he will make one from your handgun. He used mine to make patterns for the Buckmark and FA 83, as well as my 6.5" Ruger Bisley 5 shot 480 (2nd from right).

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
For a chest holster (not shoulder) I recommend Diamond D. I have the leather one that is very well made. They make a synthetic one now that looks nice and a bit cheaper

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

This!! I just received my KCH for a 625 Mountain Gun and could not recommend it highly enough. I have leather chest holsters but the KCH is an all-weather piece of kit.

To quote their (veteran-owned) company website: The Kenai Chest Holster is the ultimate way to carry a firearm in the outdoors. Completely agree.

P.S. you can also order the Kydex shells for different handguns and used the same harness for just over 50% of the cost of the complete unit.

Last edited by wreckster84; 09/27/22.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Another rig I run, besides the El Paso Saddlery Tanker rig is a Hill People Gear Recon bag.

My HPG Kit bag has Molle webbing on the front and I have attached both some blue force gear web pouches that I carry small items in, like a phone, 1911 mag, Tikka T3 magazine, but also an old M4 double mag pouch.

I use the M4 pouch as a holster for faster presentations in Grizzly country, as I tend to do a good bit of hiking there and have not been impressed with the speed at which I can make presentations from the zippered pouch.

Once I am off the trail or close to a trailhead or around the hipsters/liberals that are everywhere in Montana and other places in the West (the bears need to do a better job) I can just slide the gun back into the main zippered pouch and go on about my business, as it is not completely out of sight.

My Glock 21 with heavy 250 +Ps fits perfectly in the pouch as well.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on the HPG kit bag

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JGray

He can accomodate optics as well - 2nd from left is for a Buckmark w/ red dot and center is for a scoped FA 83. If he doesn't have a pattern, he will make one from your handgun. He used mine to make patterns for the Buckmark and FA 83, as well as my 6.5" Ruger Bisley 5 shot 480 (2nd from right).

I got an email saying mine has shipped. I started with one holster for 6 1/2 N frame guns. It should fit several of my revolvers. I think I'll get a holster for glocks too, seems like a good way to carry while seated, on an atv, on a tractor etc...

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Another rig I run, besides the El Paso Saddlery Tanker rig is a Hill People Gear Recon bag.

My HPG Kit bag has Molle webbing on the front and I have attached both some blue force gear web pouches that I carry small items in, like a phone, 1911 mag, Tikka T3 magazine, but also an old M4 double mag pouch.

I use the M4 pouch as a holster for faster presentations in Grizzly country, as I tend to do a good bit of hiking there and have not been impressed with the speed at which I can make presentations from the zippered pouch.

Once I am off the trail or close to a trailhead or around the hipsters/liberals that are everywhere in Montana and other places in the West (the bears need to do a better job) I can just slide the gun back into the main zippered pouch and go on about my business, as it is not completely out of sight.

Mac, I like the way you adapted your HPG kit. Being left handed, I have zero issues with straying from intended use. Been doing that all my life. Ever pick up a left handed power tool? Thought not. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That's an idea I will have to try to rig up with my hunting day pack. I've been wearing a kydex belt clip holster OWB cross-draw between my belt and pants, but it is not ideal. Thanks for sharing.

Do you use any kind of trigger guard protector (Zac, Boraii, etc.) while carrying your Glock in that? Thanks.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I have used a kydex trigger guard protector in the past, that had a short piece of stretchable 550 type cord attached to it, but I have found it really (for me) is not needed with the packs, or for the M4 pouch. For years guys ran 1911s and Glocks in M4 pouches in a similar manner. That said, it really depends on how the individual pistol fits in the pack.

For example, a large frame Glock 20/21 fits my old Paraclete brand pouch perfectly. With a smaller 9mm frame, I found it to be a bit loose. However with the addition of a weapons light, it fit like it was custom made for it. It really is a matter of determining what works with your gun and whatever brand of M4 pouch you have. I was simply using some old issued gear I had on hand.

Here is a pic of an individual from the Army's special mission unit, from early in the war with a 1911 in an M4 pouch. You can see it located just above the grip on his M4.

Another

The idea is hardly new and guys have been doing it for literally decades now. While we now have better gear, holsters, etc, every once in a while, an old school solution solves the problem quite easily.

smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, MS! I'll give it a try. Too bad there are only 3 more days left in archery season.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I have the same problem with the HPG Recon bag. Thanks for the tip!

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
It is actually an extremely fast presentation with just a little practice, and the ability to secure it simply by putting the pouch flap over it works quite well.

It is simple and practical.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

"My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 0311 1967.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Diamond D Custom Leather Alaskan
Hands down the best holster for backpacking, trail riding, fishing, climbing treestand trees.

Easiest and quickest on and off and cinch up to accommodate layers of clothing.
Can be adjusted to almost should holster out of the way for drawing a bow, chopping or carrying wood or any outdoor activities.

Most secure carry with or without thumb strap but easily drawn when needed.
If you have a drawer full of holsters you’ve tried, this one won’t be in it as it’s a go to favorite.

Of course without saying built like iron, made in Alaska.
Ain’t cheap but you get what you pay for - YMMV

Last edited by moose95; 10/07/22.

There is room for all of gods creatures ... right next to the mashed potatoes
U
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
I have two Diamond D chest holsters. One for my 1911 and 1 for my Freedom Arms 83. Can wear all day without having to readjust. I have the removable flap to protect from snow. Light but extremely well made. Easy to draw quickly.

Arky
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGray

I have a gazillion chest holster rigs. Okay, that's hyperbole, but I bet I have 20. blush

Norm, from Montana Holster, is a great guy to talk with and makes a great product.

Matter of fact, I recently purchased a 10.5" 357 Maximum Ruger Blackhawk and needed a holster for an upcoming hunt. Norm didn't have any on his site, so I called him up and asked if he could make me one. Less than a week later it was at my door, with a note from Norm thanking me for the business.

Norm and his holsters are both 1st class.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (ATC, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 11 invisible), 2,106 guests, and 732 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,670
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.