Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Takeoff boil.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
BP-B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Still boggles the mind she walked away from that one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe what's really going on at Halibut Cove is more of a gender issue with Captains and Pilots?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Raeford
Just one [very serious] question:

How many cats does she own?

FJB & FJT
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A few random points:
Generally the rules applying to real estate were established at the time of the first survey and filing.

Those rules are further separated by the changes coming at Statehood.

Those rules are being further separated by the changes resulting from (and in process due to) the Sturgeon case.

The Federal failure to turn over the many millions of acres promised to the State at Statehood is a hammer hanging over all sorts of transactions, land disputes, and concessions.

Tony Knowles's unilateral decision to drop the Katie John case at SCOTUS adds a whole other level of bullshit which could have settled many issues.

For example, Afognak Natives own much of the undersea land fronting their lands, some even below Mean Low Level.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
So, what was the outcome? What was she charged with?

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Jason_Brown

Yes.

Retired cat herder.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Jason_Brown
No state charges yet. Federal? No idea. If she gets Fed charges, it will be awhile before anyone knows.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They really catch halibut in that cove?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by JeffA
Far too much unknown...
Nutshell.

So what backstory justifies Marian’s actions?

There’s no question there are quite a few unknowns. I’m just curious, especially in the land of the quick to judge Campfire, why the reluctance to do so in this case?

I’ve interacted with her before. She’s been this way for a long time. And while Jeff’s supposition is likely true, it still does not justify her actions in my mind.

This is what law enforcement interviews are for. Both sides have the right to remain silent but in this case with a huge amount of video evidence, it looks like she went too far, back story or not. Come court time the one who speaks first has the right to get their story in front of the judge first. Yea, she can bring up the past but she needs some evidence that she either owns that water or the airplane pilot violated her rights to that water in some form. Right now, it's all on her and the behavior caught on camera. I see it that she has a big hill to climb. Remaining silent only adds to the confusion and to future confrontations.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kwg020
Far too much unknown...
Nutshell.

There’s no question there are quite a few unknowns. I’m just curious, especially in the land of the quick to judge Campfire, why the reluctance to do so in this case?

I’ve interacted with her before. She’s been this way for a long time. And while Jeff’s supposition is likely true, it still does not justify her actions in my mind.

This is what law enforcement interviews are for. Both sides have the right to remain silent but in this case with a huge amount of video evidence, it looks like she went too far, back story or not. Come court time the one who speaks first has the right to get their story in front of the judge first. Yea, she can bring up the past but she needs some evidence that she either owns that water or the airplane pilot violated her rights to that water in some form. Right now, it's all on her and the behavior caught on camera. I see it that she has a big hill to climb. Remaining silent only adds to the confusion and to future confrontations.

kwg
Nope... the prosecutor has to prove she violated some law...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think this was more of a internet sensation than a Alaskan thing.

There wasn't even any blood.

I've seen more rowdy schit than this go down on a slow day in Bristol Bay.

There's even a book on the topic.

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by kwg020
Far too much unknown...
Nutshell.

kwg
Nope... the prosecutor has to prove she violated some law...

I get that. And, the operator of the boat seems to be the one most likely to have committed a crime and since the video is in the public domain (evidence) all the investigator has to do is put her behind the wheel. I am obviously not versed in Alaska law but I find it hard to believe there was not at a minimum a reckless boating violation involved. But, then again, it is Alaska. Is she claiming any Alaska native heritage ?? The natives apparently have more rights than whites and transplants from the lower 48.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by smokepole
Wow, just saw the video. Wonder what the passengers on the plane were thinking.

She’s in deep [bleep] with the puddle pirates 🏴‍☠️ would be my guess. I think you can add reckless endangerment to the list of charges already mentioned.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Nestucca
Originally Posted by smokepole
Wow, just saw the video. Wonder what the passengers on the plane were thinking.

She’s in deep [bleep] with the puddle pirates 🏴‍☠️ would be my guess. I think you can add reckless endangerment to the list of charges already mentioned.

I doubt anything will happen to her... and race has nothing to do with it.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
She’s white. The state will probably not do anything since it’s a federal (navigable waters) issue… the feds may do something- no guarantee.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FAA puts it all on the pilot, they state pilots must be aware and respect local rules and ordinances. There is no equivalent of the airport traffic pattern to govern boat traffic…."

(Read Seaplane Base Operations)
https://www.seaplanescenics.com/documents/faa-8083-23-seaplanehandbook.pdf

Halibut Cove has a local rule/ordinance which states,

'Halibut Cove practices Quiet Time until 1 PM to respect our locals' privacy. Please join us in respecting this time and arrive no earlier than 1 PM.'

This was a morning flight taking lodge guests to Katmai for the day.
The pilot was in violation of local ordinance, the FAA hand book points directly at this.

Not that I nessasarly support Marian's actions but she most certainly appeard to have her boat precisely under control.

If this was reckless boating, how do you define what takes place when boats set nets on the line for salmon in Bristol Bay or better yet, the action that takes place on Herring openers in congested waters?

A commercial Alaskan fishing boat without battle scars is a boat that's never been wet.

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
FAA puts it all on the pilot, they state pilots must be aware and respect local rules and ordinances. There is no equivalent of the airport traffic pattern to govern boat traffic…."

'Halibut Cove practices Quiet Time until 1 PM to respect our locals' privacy. Please join us in respecting this time and arrive no earlier than 1 PM.'

The pilot was in violation of local ordinance, the FAA hand book point directly at this.

Not that I nessasarly support Marian's actions but she most certainly appeard to have her boat precisely under control.

If this was reckless boating, how do you define what takes place when boats set nets on the line for salmon in Bristol Bay or better yet, the action that takes place on Herring openers in congested waters?

A commercial Alaskan fishing boat without battle scars is a boat that's never been wet.

Wow. That’s quite a stretch in defense of the crazy lady. Clearly there’s a backstory which has locals supporting her. Several posters here make that plain to see.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WMR

The pilot was in violation of local ordinance, the FAA hand book point directly at this.

Wow. That’s quite a stretch in defense of the crazy lady. Clearly there’s a backstory which has locals supporting her. Several posters here make that plain to see.
The pilot is a widely known azzhole. He was violating a number of rules and had been ignoring complaints. He knew where she was going and refused to yield the right-of-way which belonged to her. The pilot is far more likely to be charged.

No one will be charged and the lodge is going to need a work around.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WMR

My post wasn't made in defense for anyone.

It's just facts relating to this story and why it's likely there will not be a investigation or related charges.

Gotta have a crime or violation first.

Who's going to waste time investigating an alleged action when there is no related incident involved?

It'd be like getting cut off in traffic on your way home from work and then calling the cops wanting them to arrest the guy cause it's recorded on your dash cam, it ain't gonna happen.

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
781 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 88 invisible), 3,119 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,708
Posts18,400,128
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.