Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Many of us have noticed the performance drop in more recent editions of manuals, for example the 220 swift being loaded in most modern books to similar velocity as the 22-250.

What are some of your favorite go-to manuals for older hotter loads?

BP-B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Lyman

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hornady and Nosler. Though I tend to buy all of them as I enjoy reading the cartridge info. The only one I haven't bought for over 20 years is the Sierra as I hate the ring binder as the page holes tend to rip.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Nosler , Barnes, Sierra

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by ingwe
Lyman

There are two major faults of the Lyman manuals (and yes, I have all the recent editions):

1) They often test pressures in one barrel, and then velocities in another. This often results in MAJOR anomalies, which don't help handloaders much. Speer used to do the same thing, and in one manual had to explain why the .308 Winchester data got higher velocities than the .30-06--which was due to to shooting velocities in a "fast" .308 barrel and a "slow" .30-06 barrel.

2) They don't test newer powders much. But that won't matter to those handloaders who believe all meaningful rifle-powder development ended in the 20th century.

On the other hand, they provide more cast-bullet data than other manuals--which is their biggest virtue.

But all of this is also why I have all the most recent manuals from every available source: Their is NO single "best" source of handloading data.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For older hotter loads in books I suggest Speer from number 11 ranging back to number 9 and beyond coupled with the various books by Bob Hagel. Most anybody who relied on case measurement will suggest loads in excess - sometimes far in excess - of SAAMI specifications.

There has been extensive discussion on this very board - and many others - about the .38 S&W Special load using 4756 found in Speer #8. Jeff Cooper suggested some loads with far too much Red Dot as for achieving the same performance from a .38 Special snubby as from a full size revolver with a barrel twice as long and longer. I promptly shot my own snub nose .38 Special loose with a load Mr. Cooper repeated regularly as a remarkably fine load in the snubby.

It is my firm and unshakeable - don't bother telling me how wrong I might be - conviction that pressure signs on the case or in the rifle such as bolt lift or ejection pattern in a semi-auto don't tell me anything useful. I bought a cute little jig for measuring case head expansion from one of the majors as used in their own load development. Too much noise to be useful although I did verify that loads in .243 measured even more all over the place than did loads in a 6mm Remington.

I can't tell from my guns using pressure signs the difference between a powderpuff 9x19 or 9mm Largo and a Winchester factory 9x23. Again judging by the case I can't tell the difference between a #130 with 3.5 grains of Bullseye in a .45 Wad gun and a .460 Rowland. This though my Oehler 35P reinforces my conviction that the pressures are in fact quite different. Again see the extensive and repeated discussion here and in other places about using a chronograph for comparative but not absolute pressure measurements.

I make exceptions for less popular cartridges where apparently there is no current firing data or at least I can't find it and for cartridges like the .45-70 where guns in the field vary from a Trapdoor to a Siamese Mauser conversion. These include 7x57 and .45 Colt. I also accept different data for gas guns and bolt actions including large case heads in a modern sporting rifle.

For these and many reasons I rely, and advise others to rely, on the very latest edition of any data book and no other.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I enjoy the Hodgdon Annual Manual and have found good loads there. Nosler data is useful. Honestly I haven't used much data from Lyman unless mild loads are the mission. Hornady data can be useful as well if it's from the older manuals. I've noticed a rather striking trend towards under powered loads in the latest manuals. I will not purchase underwhelming information. I have most of my familiar loads memorized and quickly open the newer manuals to see how far off base they are.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I usually bought one of those cartridge specific manuals that had all loading data from all the major manuals , but just for that one cartridge. I do have Lyman, Hornady,Sierra, and Speer.

I like the old Sharpes' manual for my old firearms

Last edited by saddlesore; 09/27/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have a lot of reloading manuals new and old i like to cross reference but i do like the newer Berger reloading manual

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I use Hodgdon and Lyman data the most, but also Barnes and Western (now part of Hodgdon) a fair bit.

*added*

I generally don't load hot.

Last edited by zcm82; 09/27/22.
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by ingwe
Lyman

Ditto.

Old 20th Century Wonder Powders? Mostly what I have a stupid big amount of, and the pile has to be whittled down considerably before I go buying any amount of any kind of other powder.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I subscribe to Wolfe's load data .com which has loads from all sorts of sources, powder and bullet manufacturers as well as from years of articles in Handloader. It's an easy way to check several sources against each other for the same components.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Woodsman1991
Many of us have noticed the performance drop in more recent editions of manuals, for example the 220 swift being loaded in most modern books to similar velocity as the 22-250.

What are some of your favorite go-to manuals for older hotter loads?
I have manuals from several sources dating back to the 60's. However I don't load "hot". There is a reason some loads have been reduced in the newer manuals. If you can't achieve the velocity you want with current data, switch to a cartridge with more powder capacity.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
For an individual cartridge, I like the "Complete reloading manual of the xxx".

Has cross-referenced loads from multiple manuals. Cost : about $10.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=complete+reloading+manual&adgrpid=1343603773342988&hvadid=83975306783294&hvbmt=be&hvdev=t&hvlocphy=108482&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvtargid=kwd-83975579645164%3Aloc-190&hydadcr=22565_10446406&tag=mh0b-20&ref=pd_sl_15u0oghg0y_e

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Nosler

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The powder and bullet manufacturers reduced velocities in some cartridges because of better and more accurate methods of measuring pressure. In other words unless I’m shooting a obsolete/uncommon cartridge where only older data is available, the newer manuals provide more accurate—and safer—load data.

Equally important is that powders of the same label manufactured 50-60 years ago don’t necessarily have the same burn rates or energy as current manufacture. IMR4350 50 years ago isn’t the same as it is today, for example. My H4831 manufactured in the mid 90’s produces higher velocities than current H4831, using the same brass in the same rifle.

Where possible I rely on the more recent data.

I like the Hodgdon manual, but own 4-5 dozen manuals and often consult them to get a “feel” for a consensus among different pressure barrels.

Last edited by alpinecrick; 10/02/22.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Which is why I mentioned earlier that I don't have a "favorite" manual--or Internet source. I consult them all--partly because powders can change considerably over time, despite retaining the "manufacturer's" (often a distributor's) designation. Often the newer versions are even made in factories on the other side of the world from the original factory.

Yet I still know handloaders who believe some manual is the best because they "agree" with it. Many still have major flaws, some which I've mentioned already--such as pressure-testing in one barrel and then chronographing the same loads in another barrel.

Then there's the difference in pressures that various bullets create. Yet some handloaders still believe that, say, all 180-grain .30 caliber bullets result in the same pressure with the same powder charges--not to mention differences in brass, primers, etc. This is another major difference from older manuals, which often lumped all .30-caliber 180-grain bullets into the same data. But even quick look at modern data, such as Hodgdon's Annual Manual's, shows significant differences in pressure with various .30 180s, when using the same powder.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Hodgdon #26.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
For many years now I've relied on the late Ken Waters Pet Loads. Though Ken's been gone for a while now I still find that loads he identified as his "most accurate" were in fact the most accurate in my rifles. Many times producing three shot cloverleaf groups at 100yds. Plenty good accuracy for pursuing whitetails and most other big game. I still have letters answering question from Ken from back in the day when he wrote for Handloader magazine and would answer reader questions with a personal letter. Ken was one of the last old time handloaders that walked the walk and talked the talk. Never read any of his stuff that was armchair BS.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by EdM
Hodgdon #26.

^^^^^

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
517 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 47 invisible), 2,542 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,401,021
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.