Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Clarkm Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/f...w-world-record-rifle-shot-set-in-wyoming

A team of long-range shooting experts in Wyoming set what appears to be the new world record for the longest rifle shot ever completed: 7,774 yards or 4.4 miles.

Scott Austin and Shepard Humphries led the team from Nomad Rifleman, a shooting range and instruction center based in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. The custom bolt-action rifle was chambered in .416 Barrett, and the hand-lathed 422-grain bullet took 24.5 seconds to reach the target.

Humphries described feeling “elated and relieved” when he heard through the radios that the bullet had hit the target. “We all contributed so much time, effort, and money into this project, and as with anything that has not been done before, the chances are slim that you will succeed,” he told MeatEater.
The team took 69 shots the day they set the record, and their final shot miraculously hit the eight-inch center circle. The white rectangular target measured 10 feet wide and seven feet, eight inches tall–or about 1.7 MOA. Hitting the center circle was equivalent to putting a bullet on an area the size of a pinhead at 100 yards, Humphries explained.

Wind was their biggest enemy on the day of the shoot, Humphries said. They shot in the morning when it was relatively calm, but every time the wind velocity changed even a single mile-per-hour, the team had to adjust their point of aim to 26 feet.

To complicate matters even further, they had no way of judging the wind at every point along the bullet’s flight path. At a microscopic level, wind, pressure, and humidity can change from one cubic foot to the next and at every moment within the same cubic foot. “Even if we could know with 100% accuracy the ‘environmentals’ at the moment the trigger was pressed, we could not predict what that cubic foot would be 20-something seconds later as the bullet passed through,” Humphries explained. “There were over 23,000 of those cubic feet.”

Making an accurate wind call was virtually impossible, and spotting the bullet impact also presented a challenge. By the time the bullet reached the target, it had slowed down to 689 feet-per-second and didn’t produce a consistent dust signature.

So, Austin and Humphries developed what they call “audio spotting.” They constructed bulletproof bunkers at various points around the target, and team members sat in them listening and watching for the impact of the bullet. They communicated with one another to triangulate the hit and relayed that information to the team at the gun.

Using this system, they walked the shooter (whose name is being kept private at his request) into the target. The final wind and elevation call was 1,092 MOA up and 17 MOA left.

https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/f...w-world-record-rifle-shot-set-in-wyoming

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And only 69 shots to do it.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
G
GRF Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I think they explain the number of shots very well in the article

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, even a blind squirrel......

I'll bet Burns could have done it in 68.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have done my share of the ultra long range shooting and one thing they never mention in articles like this is when your bullet goes from supersonic through trans sonic to sub sonic most accuracy is lost and you are just pissing in the wind.............they just had enough people down range to spot where a drop of piss landed, hence the 69 shots.

btw: When I was doing it I would have never considered using a bipod, thought that was odd

IC B2

Clarkm Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by boatanchor
...when your bullet goes from supersonic through trans sonic to sub sonic most accuracy is lost ....

I have seen that dramatically with 22LR shooting at a 50 yard target 1/2" groups and 100 yard target 4" groups.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I am glad they did it and accomplished their goal.
They hit the target at an extreme distance.
I don’t care if it would’ve taken 20 shots or 103, they accomplished the goal of stretching the limits.
There was a lot of time and money and energy expended to make it happen.
Things will be learned, challenges have been laid down, and improvements will be made.
Does this kind of shooting compared to Ko2M, and matches like that?
Obviously, the answer is no.
How many here remember when shooting at 2 miles was a feat or unrealistic?
How many here have shot beyond 2000 yards on any kind of regular basis?
I sure don’t shoot beyond 2000 yards on a regular basis, but the shooters and the gear just keeps getting better and better.
I’ve never shot the over 2000 yards with a rifle, but I have a couple of times with several different specialty pistols.
I wonder how many shots it took for them to get close to the target?
Then, I wonder how many shots were just off an edge, before they ever had it?
I applaud anyone who attempts these kinds of things.
I don’t think I know anyone who is involved with it, but I would like to shake their hand.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Pretty awesome feat I think.

Good on them for putting some time in.

Semper Fi
Clarkm Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
1,092 MOA = 18.2 degrees

That I will calculate for free.

But it would be a big task to calculate the accuracy needed on the scope level bubble.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
With a vortex?????? 🤦‍♂️😅

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Judman
With a vortex?????? 🤦‍♂️😅

Should've used a Tasco.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Why????

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nice oddity impressive technological accomplishment but hardly marksmanship. Hard to get an elk or enemy combatant to stand still for 69 shots so hard to imagine a practical use.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What's the world record distance for a first round hit on something like an 8" plate?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by specneeds
Nice oddity impressive technological accomplishment but hardly marksmanship. Hard to get an elk or enemy combatant to stand still for 69 shots so hard to imagine a practical use.

For sure, but I'd bet they learned alot from the shoot and could begin cutting down the number of rounds needed for next time.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I know F-Class and 1K BR make first shot hits inside 5" on a regular basis, but I doubt there is many LR games set-up for cold bore shot at a 8" plate.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by specneeds

For sure, but I'd bet they learned alot from the shoot and could begin cutting down the number of rounds needed for next time.

Agreed

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I wonder if they took another shot shortly after the hit? I mean, it would be impressive if once they dialed in that they then fired another round and landed it in tight with the lucky shot. If it were me I'd of been wanting to see if I could do it again, right then and there. Otherwise, it's just luck. Another shot would've proven otherwise.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by xphunter
I know F-Class and 1K BR make first shot hits inside 5" on a regular basis, but I doubt there is many LR games set-up for cold bore shot at a 8" plate.

Depends on what you consider "LR"

Precision and Practical Rifle Matches routinely have a cold bore stage

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I didn’t know any of the long range steel matches, PRS type matches, ever had at the very first stage for everyone (1st shot for everyone that day) was one cold bore shot at a smaller target (say 8”) at or beyond 1000 yards.
I imagine there would be a fairly good number of hits if it was at 1K, but once you start getting into the 1300 and 1400 yard distances, I would expect that hit ratio to go quite a bit lower.
I think it would be cool, but I would not expect the first attempt, completely cold bore for everyone would not have a high hit ratio.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 74 invisible), 2,750 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,651
Posts18,399,172
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.