*MOLON LABE SKYLA*
BP-B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by SLM
Straight for me. A lot easier switching between binoculars and spotting scope with a straight. Angled definitely has a few advantages though.
+1

I was on a Desert Sheep hunt about 10 years ago in Nevada, my client said "If angled spotters are so dam neat why don't we have angled binoculars and angled rifle scopes?????, seems counterintuitive to go from straight binoculars to an angled spotting scope then back to a straight rifle scope"............That's why I'm packing a straight !!!!!!!!!!!!

On a couple hunts I used other guides BTX spotters, If Swaro EVER makes one in a straight I will be the first in line

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
depends on what you are doing. straight is great if you seated or standing behind the scope, angled is better if you are view at angles or in a variety of positions.

Jay Wiggins
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Straight is the best option by far for hunters in most situations.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Blows my mind how many people "glass" with a spotter.

PS - you're missing lots of stuff....

- Greg

IC B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Agreed, makes no sense to me.

Originally Posted by GregW

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Angled for me .
I glass with my 10x42 tracts. But the spotter has its place.
Here is a 1000 yard elk with a spotter
https://imgur.com/a/K6IEjDN
And a zoom on the phone
https://imgur.com/a/K6IEjDN

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

To be clear, when I said “I do find I have less neck strain when using an angled for long periods” I was referring to staring at a critter for 10 minutes waiting for him to lift his head, or to walk out of the brush, etc.

I can’t think of a single time I have ever looked through my spotter without first seeing something specific that I want to get a better look at.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by T_Inman

To be clear, when I said “I do find I have less neck strain when using an angled for long periods” I was referring to staring at a critter for 10 minutes waiting for him to lift his head, or to walk out of the brush, etc.

I can’t think of a single time I have ever looked through my spotter without first seeing something specific that I want to get a better look at.

I hear ya...

- Greg

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I use a straight most of the time as I find it easier to use. However, I do prefer an angled when scouting/hunting mountain sheep and goats. A quality tripod really helps too.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Straight... much faster to get on the object.

For the last several years a huge part of our glassing has been done with Vortex Razor 18x56 bins. great compromise between a bin and a spotter for ease of use and power. It needs a tripod of course. Now I carry two bins and two spotters...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The angle eyepiece is much more useful once you get used to it. It is like backing up with mirrors, it takes practice, but once you have gotten used to it, you see the advantage…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This is always an interesting topic, and comes up every few years. To add a different perspective, I'd be curious about those that prefer one vs. the other in terms of their brain dominance. Ie, are those that are left-brain dominant are more comfortable with a straight tube, and those that are right-brained are more comfortable with angled? I think an angled scope takes a bit more "spacial sense" than a straight tube which is more in line with a right-brain dominant person.

Dunno - just an observation having read these threads for years. And of course, there is no "right" answer to the question of straight vs.. angled. You've got to know that for yourself.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Brother, you are the man. We all know you should be listened to.

Spotters are for a closer inspection, not for looking.

That has been my experience as well, at least for the type of hunting I do.

Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Straight... much faster to get on the object.

For the last several years a huge part of our glassing has been done with Vortex Razor 18x56 bins. great compromise between a bin and a spotter for ease of use and power. It needs a tripod of course. Now I carry two bins and two spotters...

I had a pair of 15x Vortex's that I ended up selling. Found they did not do anything a pair of 10x42's couldn't do, Except take up space and weight. Still ended up setting up the spotter for a closer look. This was for sheep, antelope, and mule deer.

Arcus Venator
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I use straight line for window mounts and angled for tripods.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Brad
This is always an interesting topic, and comes up every few years. To add a different perspective, I'd be curious about those that prefer one vs. the other in terms of their brain dominance. Ie, are those that are left-brain dominant are more comfortable with a straight tube, and those that are right-brained are more comfortable with angled? I think an angled scope takes a bit more "spacial sense" than a straight tube which is more in line with a right-brain dominant person.

Dunno - just an observation having read these threads for years. And of course, there is no "right" answer to the question of straight vs.. angled. You've got to know that for yourself.

I agree there might be something else to this preference. I’ve owned and used both and I definitely prefer angled in all uses for me, although I never use with a window mount so I can’t comment on that use.

The preference for angled over straight just seems obvious to me, but the opposite is true for others. No right or wrong answer here.
You may be on to something that better makes sense of it.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Do you glass with binoculars from a tripod? That is where I in general see the line.

Originally Posted by mod7rem

The preference for angled over straight just seems obvious to me, but the opposite is true for others. .

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I can't think of a single instance where a straight shooter is ever more comfortable to use than an angled.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by SLM
Do you glass with binoculars from a tripod? That is where I in general see the line.

Originally Posted by mod7rem

The preference for angled over straight just seems obvious to me, but the opposite is true for others. .

Ya I do, and I agree some situations favor one over the other. But for me the angled is still preferred for overall use. But I guess not easy to make sense of the reasons why.

I just bought a compact straight scope to go with my bigger angled scope. I’ll have to use it for awhile and see how I feel about it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At the bench I prefer angled. For all other uses, I prefer straight.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
675 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 76 invisible), 2,726 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,029
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.