Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Blooze Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
If I can get 1” I’ll be happy. When I was bow hunting the last 10 years or so it was about how close I could get. 10 yards off the ground was my goal. No pop up blinds or anything, usually just backed up into a cedar tree or something. I did the wheelie bow shoot at 50 yard thing and it was very unsatisfying after a while. With my 8mm and it’s large groups I limited myself to 150 yards. Shot my last buck with it at about 75. My comfort zone would be about 200 yards at the moment, but I’d like a gun that’ll do 300 for hunting once I get the practice in and feel more confident, and farther for bench shooting. Like I said 300 is common, but I can limit myself and get closer by stalking if needed. I want the capability for accuracy at long distance should I work my way in that direction, I’m just a wuss at this point. After I sighted in the 8mm several years ago 4 months before season I shot about a box worth of different ammo. Took my shoulder a good 1-2 weeks to quit hurting and it was definitely joint pain. I’m not doing that again.

BP-B6

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Now I really need to mess with that damn BOSS!!!!

laugh I think you'll like it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE

We will see. Beretzs told me the same thing.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Blooze
If I can get 1” I’ll be happy. When I was bow hunting the last 10 years or so it was about how close I could get. 10 yards off the ground was my goal. No pop up blinds or anything, usually just backed up into a cedar tree or something. I did the wheelie bow shoot at 50 yard thing and it was very satisfying after a while. With my 8mm and it’s large groups I limited myself to 150 yards. Shot my last buck with it at about 75. My comfort zone would be about 200 yards at the moment, but I’d like a gun that’ll do 300 for hunting once I get the practice in and feel more confident, and farther for bench shooting. Like I said 300 is common, but I can limit myself and get closer by stalking if needed. I want the capability for accuracy at long distance should I work my way in that direction, I’m just a wuss at this point. After I sighted in the 8mm several years ago 4 months before season I shot about a box worth of different ammo. Took my shoulder a good 1-2 weeks to quit hurting and it was definitely joint pain. I’m not doing that again.

You shouldn't have an issue finding an MOA or better rifle/ammo combination to suit your needs. It sounds like you want to do a fair amount of shooting with your new rifle, so in my opinion it makes sense to figure out what that gun likes to maximize your effectiveness. Apparently, others disagree. That's the beauty of forums like this. You get many different perspectives. Some just come a little more prickly than others.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

We will see. Beretzs told me the same thing.

I'll be curious to see how yours does if you end up tinkering with it.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Listed for sale in the classifieds, in case anyone is hungry for a LIKE NEW 243 Winchester...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...s/17644152/howa-1500-in-243#Post17644152

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Howa 1500 or Winchester XPR in 243. Either can be had for $500ish if you look around online.

You mean like this?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If I can get 1” I’ll be happy. When I was bow hunting the last 10 years or so it was about how close I could get. 10 yards off the ground was my goal. No pop up blinds or anything, usually just backed up into a cedar tree or something. I did the wheelie bow shoot at 50 yard thing and it was very unsatisfying after a while. With my 8mm and it’s large groups I limited myself to 150 yards. Shot my last buck with it at about 75. My comfort zone would be about 200 yards at the moment, but I’d like a gun that’ll do 300 for hunting once I get the practice in and feel more confident, and farther for bench shooting. Like I said 300 is common, but I can limit myself and get closer by stalking if needed. I want the capability for accuracy at long distance should I work my way in that direction, I’m just a wuss at this point. After I sighted in the 8mm several years ago 4 months before season I shot about a box worth of different ammo. Took my shoulder a good 1-2 weeks to quit hurting and it was definitely joint pain. I’m not doing that again.

All the advice given seems sound. I doubt there is a better cartridge to meet your criteria than the 6.5 Creed. You just need to get your hands on some rifles and pick one. Tikka, Howa, Bergara, Winchester M70, Browning X-Bolt, Remington 700…odds are very high they will shoot up to well enough for you (not certain all are available threaded though?). Heck, I’ve even seen BSA show pics of Rugers that shoot well. 😀

This would be a heck of a place to start, in my opinion: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/943361877

Heavier than some, especially Tikka, which is likely good for reducing felt recoil, but…it’s heavier.
It is likely shorter than a Tikka, which is convenient.
Stainless is always a good thing, in my opinion. Cerakote, or any other coating, is NOT a substitute for stainless.
The HS Precision stock is stronger than the composite/plastic stocks from many manufacturers, including the cheaper Howa models.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I agree. They are worth messing with if you're keeping it on the rifle. It will only make a handload that much better..

Check out the EC tuner which to what I see is a modern BOSS.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If I can get 1” I’ll be happy. When I was bow hunting the last 10 years or so it was about how close I could get. 10 yards off the ground was my goal. No pop up blinds or anything, usually just backed up into a cedar tree or something. I did the wheelie bow shoot at 50 yard thing and it was very satisfying after a while. With my 8mm and it’s large groups I limited myself to 150 yards. Shot my last buck with it at about 75. My comfort zone would be about 200 yards at the moment, but I’d like a gun that’ll do 300 for hunting once I get the practice in and feel more confident, and farther for bench shooting. Like I said 300 is common, but I can limit myself and get closer by stalking if needed. I want the capability for accuracy at long distance should I work my way in that direction, I’m just a wuss at this point. After I sighted in the 8mm several years ago 4 months before season I shot about a box worth of different ammo. Took my shoulder a good 1-2 weeks to quit hurting and it was definitely joint pain. I’m not doing that again.

You shouldn't have an issue finding an MOA or better rifle/ammo combination to suit your needs. It sounds like you want to do a fair amount of shooting with your new rifle, so in my opinion it makes sense to figure out what that gun likes to maximize your effectiveness. Apparently, others disagree. That's the beauty of forums like this. You get many different perspectives. Some just come a little more prickly than others.

It'd be tough to whoop a 6.5 CM with the ammo available and the price is usually more than fair. A 308 would be my second choice just for availability. Getting an accurate 6.5 CM is even easier. Can't swing a dead cat without running across a bunch of good ones.

Semper Fi
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by RCBS_reloader
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Howa 1500 or Winchester XPR in 243. Either can be had for $500ish if you look around online.

You mean like this?

It's not often things come along to make me look smart, so I'll take it and run!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by beretzs

It'd be tough to whoop a 6.5 CM with the ammo available and the price is usually more than fair. A 308 would be my second choice just for availability. Getting an accurate 6.5 CM is even easier. Can't swing a dead cat without running across a bunch of good ones.
Funny you mention this... was just at the store and swung by the outdoor counter. They've got enough 308 to wage a small war... a couple boxes of 6.5cm and a couple boxes of 30-06 (then 450 bushmaster for reasons unknown). Figured it would be the other way around with 308/6.5.

B
Blooze Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
After several stores and handling a Sauer, Browning, Ruger, and Tikka I ended up with the X-Bolt HC with the Recoil Hawg brake in 6.5 Creedmoor. It was a tossup with the Tikka. The Tikka bolt was slightly smoother and the trigger was slightly better, but I felt like I was reaching pretty hard for the trigger (small hands 🙄). The Ruger American felt pretty rough around the edges and it felt fairly barrel heavy on the front end. The Sauer I felt like I had to crawl up on the thing to get comfortable.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats on the purchase, Blooze. You'll have to let us know how it works out for you.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Congrats. Sounds like you’re well on your way!

Semper Fi
B
Blooze Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Quick follow up. I can start another thread if more appropriate.

Was planning on putting some Talley rings on the X-Bolt. I have a Leupold VX Freedom 3-9x40 scope I planned on throwing in there for now. Would the low rings work with that scope? Seems like I read that the lows would work with 40-45mm.

https://www.leupold.com/vx-freedom-3-9x40-duplex-riflescope

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Lows should work. Keep us posted on how the rifle works out for you. Congrats on the new rifle!!! I hope its a great shooter for you.. You'll like that 6.5 creedmoor. Most factory creedmoor ammo shoots lights out, so that is a plus.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think you’ll be very happy with your new rifle. My only suggestion on ammo is to NOT try Remington Core-lokt. My “used” 6.5 CM came with a box of these and it would shoot 4 MOA all day long with that ammo, if I did my part, if I didn’t do my part and when my son shot it. If that was the only ammo I had I would have quickly sold it! It was 20 rounds of once fired brass that I could reload, well, and a little trigger time.

The 6.5 CM is a sweet little cartridge though and in that rifle I think it will be perfect for you.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
230 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 257 mag, 2UP, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 25 invisible), 1,627 guests, and 899 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,926
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.