Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
When shortages were at their worst & folks would mention finding stuff the Academy name came up quite a bit.

First I'd heard about it was this thread, thanks Remshooter. They didn't waste time, grand opening is this weekend.

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Academy used to have free shipping at 25 dollars, back before Covid. Don't know if they still do or not. Before the world ended and Hodgdon doubled their prices on powder, I was having jugs of IMR 4064 delivered to my door for 27 bucks.

Will probably never see the likes of that again.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
R
In the last two weeks I bought 4 flats of Winchester AA's from Academy and they were shipped. It took 4 days to arrive as I recall. The price was just under $120/flat, cheaper than Walmart and I could get the number I needed, not a box here and a box there like Walmart. The fishing tackle selection is not as good as Bass Pro, but the prices aren't as high either. I have found Walmart to have the best tackle prices if they have what you want. I have purchased firearms from Academy in the past but nothing recent. Their prices were good when I bought them. Haven't priced any lately. They are certainly nothing like a Dicks store, which I WILL NOT ENTER!
I would welcome the new store in that at least it will offer you an additional shopping point for whatever you might need.
Rick

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Good prices. Decent selection. It’s not what Cabelas WAS, but it’s not Walmart or Dick’s, either. Plenty of ammo, handguns, fishing, etc.

Not “high-end” stuff, but lots of low to mid-range gear.

Oh, and they WILL match prices with BPS/Cabelas/etc. Bring in an ad, or pull it up on your phone. I have done this with guns, as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never been in one. I have purchased shotshells when they were on sale & had free shipping. That was years ago.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gunzo
When shortages were at their worst & folks would mention finding stuff the Academy name came up quite a bit.

First I'd heard about it was this thread, thanks Remshooter. They didn't waste time, grand opening is this weekend.
your welcome .will have to check it out myself

NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They have sales from time to time to that can be pretty good prices.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Geno67
They have sales from time to time to that can be pretty good prices.

They do 20% off $100+ online purchase every so often.

Free shipping.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Renegade50 works there.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If you want something right now, you may find it there if you're okay with your second or third preference as to brand.

My local Academy seems to have a lot of ammo except for anything in 20 ga. For some reason, it's almost unobtanium around here.

Lots of smokers and BBQ accessories.

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Dont have one around here.
Crapelas ia less than an hour away.
Ill go there to grab some early season bibs
Then take the ol lady to Fords Garage for a couple drinks and chow.

Gotta make the trip worthwhile.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
They’re not a pre-BPS Cabelas,but it’s better to have one close,than not…

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A lot of NFL and college team apparel in there. So many of you Gunsmoke phags might not feel comfortable in there.

And also there is no ice cream for sale inside.

So just better off, stay away. 💀

No Tom Clancy, no Murder She Wrote box set laser discs in there either

No canvas water bags for your Packards

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Their clearance stuff can get pretty cheap. Most of my fishing lures and soft plastics were bought at Academy on sale.

One good thing about Academy, is they will have Rite in the Rain notebooks and pens by the cash registers.

Last edited by DryPowder; 09/28/22.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Better than most places.

And damn sure better than nothing, which pretty much all have for 100 miles in any direction.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by DryPowder
Their clearance stuff can get pretty cheap. Most of my fishing lures and soft plastics were bought at Academy on sale.

One good thing about Academy, is they will have Rite in the Rain notebooks and pens by the cash registers.

Knowing the code for final markdowns is a help and they mark a lot of seasonal stuff way down. If the price is marked at .88 on the end it is final closeout. Got a couple of Stoney Point shooting sticks for $8.88 each. I got one of their closeout Browning T Bolts for $349.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
It’s fine. Not high end stuff though. Mostly Savage, Mossberg, Turkish shotguns, and Ruger Americans. Lots of Glocks. The occasional Tikka and BL-22 with random oddballs thrown in like a half dozen Christiansen rifles in mine right now.

Really good fishing selection. Decent, if mostly fairly cheap clothing selection. Nice selection of BBQ stuff. Decent place to get golf balls and cheap fish cookers.

It’s a decent store of mostly low to mid-range stuff.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
decent selection of a variety of stuff. as much basketball/soccer/football stuff as anything else. Better selection than walmart, less than cabelas. Prices are also between those two. Much more convenient and faster to shop than walmart without all the spanish speaking and weirdos. they do actually have cashiers to check you out and you wont be stuck behind edna with 2 grocery carts full of stuff that wont ring up.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
Academy is the Walmart of sporting goods. Good prices on guns and ammo compared to most big box stores, however their buyers for the reloading section didn't know squat about reloading.
I buy a fair amount of stuff at Academy and this is a pretty good description of their operation. Some of their gun and reloading counter people are knowledgeable, most are not. Just know what you want and something about what you are looking at before you go in there. They are certainly "gun friendly". Generally, not a great place to get information/good advice about firearms & reloading. Prices are good. They will not order any firearm or other item that is not listed listed on their website, even if it is a common model by a brand that they sell. They generally stock a few reloading supplies and equipment, but what they do stock is usually priced well. Powders and primers are mostly kept in a back room, so ask for what you want if you don't see it displayed. Ammo is usually priced well and generally a fair selection, depending on current market supplies. They carry a pretty good selection of generic camping supplies, barbecue equipment, a large selection of athletic shoes, clothing, and equipment, some hunting and work boots, some hunting clothes (mostly their store brand), and a large selection of fishing and boating equipment. I did not cover everything, but I think that is a pretty good general description of what to expect there.

Last edited by Henryseale; 09/28/22. Reason: Grammatical error.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The on line store has good service

Pricing sometimes too

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,906 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,359
Posts18,468,939
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.