Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
What are your thoughts on this rifle in 458 win mag? I have absolutely no use for this caliber at the moment but have ran across one that is in very good condition for 700.00. Seems like the 550’s are fairly popular going by what I’m reading online but would like to hear from those who shoot and use them. Thanks for your input.
Chris

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's not a good deal if you have absolutely no use for it.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
But I’m a rifle loony I guess. I like experimenting with different rifles. You’re probably right though since shipping a rifle isn’t so easy anymore

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
700 is a good price I think

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'd buy it. Price sounds reasonable and they aren't being made anymore.

There'a a chance that it'll jam with the larger round nose projectiles - a problem since the Brno 602 days.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That sounds like a great price. I’ll take it if you don’t buy it.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The action alone is worth $700. CZ Magnums can be reworked for smooth operation and set up for a great many DG cartridges. Not that there’s anything wrong with a 458 Win Mag.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had two in 416 Rigby and 458. I kept the 416 for a buffalo hunt and like the gun. I wish they were still around and I had kept the 416.

Be Sure to glass the action! They were known to crack at the bolt notch and on into the wrist.

That is a smokin' buy!

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by luv2safari
I've had two in 416 Rigby and 458. I kept the 416 for a buffalo hunt and like the gun. I wish they were still around and I had kept the 416.

Be Sure to glass the action! They were known to crack at the bolt notch and on into the wrist.

That is a smokin' buy!

But don't bed that gap right behind the tang - the stock will crack there if you do.

There is also an extra lug (and stock steel insert) at the underside of the rear sight base that should be bedded.

Well?
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks for the thoughts, I haven’t convinced myself I need it yet.

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by limabean
Thanks for the thoughts, I haven’t convinced myself I need it yet.

Need has nothing to do with it. Fun is the name of the game.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I didn't think I needed the CZ 550 American in 9.3 x 62 with the 1.5 x 5 leupold on it until I saw it priced at $650. Couldn't get the cash out of my pocket quick enough then but I did. Not the Magnum model, but I'm damn sure it would be at home anywhere I use it. Their good enough for JB so it will be good enough for me.mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Does it have crossbolts? If I remember right there are 3 iterations of the Safari Magnum Wood Stock - 1) No cross bolts, 2) - cross bolt in the stock wrist, 3) cross bolts through the action.

Another thing not mentioned - America (straight) or European (hog back) stock? I believe there have been some guys here on the 'Fire that use reduced loads and cast bullets in their 458 for fun shooting.

And yes, $700 is a dang good price.

He went over yonder way
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Load it down, you will be the only one in deer camp with a 458.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
This one has two crossbolts and the two digit code on the right side of the barrel or receiver is 07. So I’m assuming it was built in 2007 if my understanding is correct in what I have read in my research so far.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A lot of the later ones were rechambered by CZ-USA to 458Lott and have this additional cardridge stamping added ie double stamped. The Lott fixes those with feeding issues.

Well?
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'd buy it in a heartbeat at that price and enjoy the cartridge.

I think just about all larger bore factory rifles need a good going over and work before shooting. I have a stock from a Mod 70 Classic 458 I bought earlier in the year, crap bedding etc. and broke the stock out the left side, behind the front action recoil lug, drove front stock bolt back etc. Probably fired a box of ammo through it when factory new. [bleep] plastic bedding etc. just lets it set back and the stock to flex and break. Stock is like new, except for being broken!

J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
It’s a very good price and they are no longer made. They’re a well sought after action for building big bangers. The 458 WM has a bit of reputation for being a poor feeder in that action. The mag length is 3.8” long and a standard length 458WM does leave a lot of room in the mag.

I have one that was originally in 375H&H that I had converted to 458WM - I used a factory take-off barrel. It’s been a journey getting it to feed well. In the end the mag was blocked at the front to reduce the length. As mentioned, opening the chamber to 458Lott generally improves the feeding in the CZ550.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Perhaps another perspective. Not a rifle, but a widget! The principle such purchase as an investment. Right now, the dollar may be at a high, but its absolute purchasing power is being killed by inflation. Why not buy into an investment concerning which you and your "financial adverers" here, all agree is a good investment. Not 'gilt edged' perhaps but 'good'. If you can buy your widget for $700 and sell it at a profit even just keeping up with inflation, @ 8% annually for 3 years your value should have increased by 24%. If your widget was a bargain then, add additional "value". But evn the so what as 'chump change', another factor. The "fatal attraction". Guns! Win or lose, I really enjoy owning my guns. Year over for better than a half century, I've collected... And done well. I not only knew about my investments, but rather than "Pork Bellys", no matter what market turns, I owned something I enjoyed.
Now for most folks, I'd preach "hold" as a lot of thunder & lightning on the horizon and some amount of liquid investments as good! There too, "guns".

Nuff preaching. JUst as you don't need a rifle, where a good investment, that itself satisfies a "need".

Just my take!
Best!
John

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I load Barnes 450gr TSX bullets in mine at a length of 3.680 in and have no loading issues at all

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
646 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 71 invisible), 2,802 guests, and 1,384 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,211
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.