Print Thread
Hop To
B
boatboy Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
A friend showed me an older Charter Arms Bulldog and he didn’t spot it but the cylinder release was missing. I have never seen this of course you can release the cylinder by pulling the cylinder rod from the front.
I never really thought about it but as I look at the gun and schematic I am trying to figure out if the gun is safe to fire without it. It seems to me that is just a release and has nothing to do with the lock up.

I assume someone here would have practical knowledge of this

Please fill me in
Thanks Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I have a few .44 Bulldogs, and I believe you are correct. The cylinder latch thumb piece is simply there to permit the operation of the latch. If the internals to the latch are still there, it should still serve its function.

B
boatboy Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thank You
I will be at my local smith to see if he has the parts around or we will get them ordered

I was just curious
I was told this was a relatives truck gun and I wonder if he just used it like that

But he is gone I can’t ask him

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've had several Charters over the years and have, occasionally, needed a few parts. I just called Charter, shot the breeze with them for a few minutes and told them what I needed. In every case they shipped the parts at no charge.

Give 'em a call, Hank. As I recall the cylinder release mechanism on those consists of the latch, screw, a spring and a plunger.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I had a .38 Undercover for awhile, and just used the ejection rod to open the cylinder, it was more convenient for me (and it was like the old High Standard Double Nine .22 revolver I grew up with). It was no big deal, and a heckuva lot easier to deal with than a Smith whose ejection rod had backed out (that used to happen a lot back then). I considered it a good feature.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

642 members (1badf350, 1eyedmule, 160user, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 2,509 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,319
Posts18,449,295
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.