Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#17637480 09/25/22
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
In search of a long action for a build. preferably a Mauser 98, Sako L61R, Maybe a Pre 64 Mod 70. Anyone have any idea on where I might be able to find one? I have found a place online where I can purchase a Sako action brand new, in the white but they ARE NOT cheap. Any recommendations are helpful.

Thanks guys...

Last edited by RCBS_reloader; 09/25/22.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If cost is a concern, stay away from military 98s. The cost of making one into a sporter is considerable. I’d stick with commercial actions like FNs and Zastavas. That Sako would get a hard look too if it’s under a grand.

You should think about investing a few bucks in this book. Might save yourself some time, trouble, and money:

https://www.riflesandrecipes.com/product/selecting-and-ordering-a-custom-hunting-rifle/

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am no longer looking...thank you !

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Since the O/Ps out of the market, just a Post on the subject for posterity. First, while a "long action" described build does provide some specificity and exemplars of three great rifles, still pretty no-nonsense wise content... Just offering more in generalities!

My comments really go wider than building such rifle in these days of inflation and perhaps seeking to achieve 'most rifle' for a moderate price. Further narrowing to popular bolt action patterns, a huge aresna out there! But one fundamental division as between "new & used". A heck of a lot of very decent used guns, often for considerably less than the big Internet gun houses might suggest by their "sold" prices achieved. Sort of the Internet auction genre suggestion of pricing as an alternate reality!

Milsurp spoters... Mauser 98, Enfield 17, Springfield 03 & 30A3; all as mainstream rifles with huge part supplies. Some of those sporters born in the fifties/sixties era, with real potential. Moreover compared to new sporters, quite possibly in choosing wisely rifles with most features desired as only need to 'polish off' a bit with such as trigger & sight package. Possibly alread near 'fits' for you and just the more custom touches .

One of the big wild cards needing nailing down nowadays. Sometimes just the 'bits & pieces' adaptation to rifle of dream stuff, requiring gunsmith labor, tilting the 'great buys' into the 'don't go there!'

Decide what you're going to use the rifle for, at what ranges and such factors as a lot of 'packing' where wieght can become burdensome, too light where accuracy and recoil factors may be unhappy compromises. The fact of a chambering. Too many folks in my estimation get caught up in the exotic cartridge calamity. Maybe great 'on paper' chamberings and even in the field, but "availability..." What you can't get, you can't shoot. Even where you can obtain them, when arriving as "trio in a velvet lined box", at $12 each, there's a message there and a negative one. Use good judgement with a strong does of practical!

"Collector guns". The "R" word, "Rare". Likely somewhat less than 5% may factually fit that descripton in terms of what's on the market. It also carries a tight-rope category. Small irregularities in such rifles can knock large sums off value. If you aren't something of any expert or know such to evaluate for you... Don't play the game. Those rifles are also ones less appropriate to take into the field and subject to the elements.

Having just spoken about the rare collectibles... The nifty exception. What about all those 'collectible 'but for...' The factors that reduce them to field guns. There are some gems to be mined. The Winchster Model 70 that's been modified such as scope mount holes where there shouldn't be such and recoil pads installed where presumption of "aftermarket work" attendant... And what about just those Model 70 rifles with appearance of 'well used'. Still too many folks tryng to sell such rifles under "aura" only there by virtue of what they may be agian. What the O/P wisely illuded! Buy a Standard grade pre '64 Model 70 Winchester that's well used. To my thoughts often just "broken in". The barrel may be a real problem if worn. Replace, rebore, etc. in that action beats the heart of a Lion! REfinish the stock inf requried. But nothing wrong with a good used Model 70 and they are out there. Just have to be patient and 'mine for them'. 30-06 'the' by far prevalent chambering is one of the 'most likely to succeed' chamberings just as its over century popularity has granted it huge longevity and a round you can find about anywhere ammo to be sold.

Last, these Forums are like gold in terms of the expertise here to be tapped 'free'! Typically unbiased though we all have our preferences. I know I do! Yet the prevailing point, of a real resource. The hunting, shooting, target, collecting and home security perspectives, here the world is yours to explore with your own set of guides!

To all of you folks coming here as new to the "guns" arena, welcome and happy acquisitions!

Best!
John

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

260 members (360bull, 1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 338reddog, 40 invisible), 1,545 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,444
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.