Semper Fi
BP-B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You bet it is Sir.

And Thanks Big B, i should really try to bust a buck with this rig and make it work for a living this season.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Well, the little 6.5 Swede did it again, going on two years, only coyotes for me so far, not including a bunch of Antelope on a loan out, about two hours ago was another coyote, 536 yards, could have used a tic more right wind, nearly missed that boney bastard, the 147 ELDM's leaving at 2950 are serious medicine for vermin.

And no, this wasn't a real hunt, went out to take a whizz through the backyard gate, saw movement up in the North pasture cross fence, damn near busted my old ass on the concrete running back to get rifle, ear plugs and rangefinder in my socks, and yes, threw the rifle across one of Wifes picnic tables on back porch, i guess sometimes you have to take what shows 'when' it shows, love the little rifle and bullet.

Thanks for all the guidance on this build Gents.

Thanks for not posting a pic of you shooting in just your undies and socks.. Trying not to imagine the whole scene.. ha ha..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 30338
Good to hear it Gunner. Got a pile of those 147s waiting to go into use once my Berger stash is depleted.

Thanks Buddy, they'll serve you well, you wouldn't believe the CRACK that came back to me from impact, i guess hitting the neck right in front of the shoulders will do that LOL!

Good shot Gunner. That's where I like to hit them to. I need to go out and shoot the steel yote now!!!

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Good to hear it Gunner. Got a pile of those 147s waiting to go into use once my Berger stash is depleted.

Thanks Buddy, they'll serve you well, you wouldn't believe the CRACK that came back to me from impact, i guess hitting the neck right in front of the shoulders will do that LOL!

Good shot Gunner. That's where I like to hit them to. I need to go out and shoot the steel yote now!!!

LOL, Damn!!!! ; ] socks and jeans buddy, panties are for girls and old folk that cant control their bowels, dont wear 'em, i would like to apologize for that visual, Wife rule is all boots off at front door LOL, i shot that thing at 5:35 p.m. yesterday evening, yes, bust that steel man, pistols are fun and i always have one on my belt, dont shoot them that much, but i LOVE rifles!

Trump Won!
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

LOL, Damn!!!! ; ] socks and jeans buddy, panties are for girls and old folk that cant control their bowels, dont wear 'em, i would like to apologize for that visual, Wife rule is all boots off at front door LOL, i shot that thing at 5:35 p.m. yesterday evening, yes, bust that steel man, pistols are fun and i always have one on my belt, dont shoot them that much, but i LOVE rifles!

You should shoot that new pistol shoot in the handgun forum. I'm not a pistol shooter either, but grew up with them. The steel yote I refer to is at 400 yards. Not really within pistol range. Usually when I'm at the range, I have to go over there and shoot it just for fun..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sometimes I'll just shoot it once and leave:

I think the 300 RSAUM would have taken a real yotes head off with this shot:

I need to take the new 300wby out with its new Pacific Research stock and see how it fares at 400. Doesn't seem to do too bad at 100. Preliminary results:

That rifle is a sweetheart to shoot now too, with its new stock. Really liking the ergo's.. It was painful before with its hard red pad:

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I bet that 178 ELD at Weatherby speeds will turn a coyote into chunks.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
I bet that 178 ELD at Weatherby speeds will turn a coyote into chunks.

Ha ha.. probably. I have a bunch of those bullets on hand, so I figured I'd give them a try. I won't shoot this rifle much. Fired off 50 at the range the other day, working on loads and getting the new scope dialed in. Boy that 1" pachmayr works great for soaking up recoil though. Also tried some 180gr BTSP interlocks. Those were more consistent shooting than the ELDX. POI was different though. They shoot to the right compared to the LRX and ELDX. I'll likely work on a good 175 LRX load for the rifle, but hate to load up something different than what my pre 64 likes. One of the shops has some 212's I may try..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I picked a 280AI for the chores you’re asking about op.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I just read through this entire thread and thoroughly enjoyed it. I guess I’m kinda partial to Gunner and many other guys that posted here on this thread. It’s not often that a thread goes 15 pages (my screen) and not a rude comment or flippant response. It’s almost like friends having conversations with friends….friends that respect one another. 👍

Thanks guys for a wonderfully refreshing read and nice job on a beautiful rifle Gunner.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I dig the 212’s myself. Or 208’s. Both offer alot of slippery.

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Okay Men, I have a McMil Edge stock cut for a M-70 action, also have a South Carolina Winchester M-70 action, standard bolt face, were you guys going to build a utility varmint/hunting rifle for around the farm what would it be, I'd like to keep it above 243 cal, I'm leaning hard on 6.5x284 Lapua, standard 284 Win, or maybe a 280 AI, I already have a 7mm Mashburn Super, heavy 300 Win Mags and a big 338 cal.

Rifle will be for coyotes, hogs, deer etc out to a long 700 yards here at the farm and possibly longer shooting elsewhere.

Thanks in advance.

6.5mm PRC seems to have a lot of backing these days. I would strongly consider that cartridge instead of either a wildcat or a cartridge no longer supported by major manufacturers.

Just look at the .348 Winchester. Great cartridge. Impossible to find ammo for.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ScottyLTD
Okay Men, I have a McMil Edge stock cut for a M-70 action, also have a South Carolina Winchester M-70 action, standard bolt face, were you guys going to build a utility varmint/hunting rifle for around the farm what would it be, I'd like to keep it above 243 cal, I'm leaning hard on 6.5x284 Lapua, standard 284 Win, or maybe a 280 AI, I already have a 7mm Mashburn Super, heavy 300 Win Mags and a big 338 cal.

Rifle will be for coyotes, hogs, deer etc out to a long 700 yards here at the farm and possibly longer shooting elsewhere.

Thanks in advance.

6.5mm PRC seems to have a lot of backing these days. I would strongly consider that cartridge instead of either a wildcat or a cartridge no longer supported by major manufacturers.

Just look at the .348 Winchester. Great cartridge. Impossible to find ammo for.

Funny you should mention the 348 winchester. He has one that I sold him. A damn nice 1937 model 71 in fact. If you knew gunner, you'd also know he has a huge assortment of rifles chambered in various hard to find cartridges. I don't think that is a huge issue for him.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks buddy BSA, and nice shooting, i best leave the pistoleros and their challenges be, some can be quite touchy, kinda like in the optics forum, yes that 300 would leave chunks ; ]

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My two picks:

6.5x55 Swedish OR 7x57 Mauser

Page 15 of 15 1 2 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
336 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,729
Posts18,400,838
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.