Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
It’s that time of year to start feeding our feathered friends. I’m thinking of buying a couple new ones. Who makes a good weatherproof one, with a easy flow of bird food. I hate having to grab the ladder every time the feeder gets jammed up, or gummed up because of moisture

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I hang mine under my roof eave to keep it out of the rain. And I wired a Frisbee to the bottom of it to catch all the seed the birds pull out and don't eat.

BTW, avoid the cheap feeds with lots of red sorghum (milo) which no bird I've seen will eat. Milo are BB-size red balls - and comprise a lot of cheap box store feeds. Get premium feeds with black sunflower, cracked corn, chunked peanuts, and white millet. Or make up you own LINK

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I hang mine under my roof eave to keep it out of the rain. And I wired a Frisbee to the bottom of it to catch all the seed the birds pull out and don't eat.

BTW, avoid the cheap feeds with lots of red sorghum (milo) which no bird I've seen will eat. Milo are BB-size red balls - and comprise a lot of cheap box store feeds. Get premium feeds with black sunflower, cracked corn, chunked peanuts, and white millet. Or make up you own LINK

That’s exactly correct, most of the milo will not be eaten. I buy mostly black oil sunflowers and mix a few other ingredients.

NRA Patron
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Here's mine. 😂

Attached Images
IMG_20220929_37400.jpg (72.16 KB, 202 downloads)

Medics bury their mistakes..
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get a bear proof one.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
[Linked Image from wwwcache.wral.com]
[Linked Image from medford.wbu.com]
[Linked Image from ogden_images.s3.amazonaws.com]

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
And get a rat proof one by mounting a frisbee at the bottom or a pot saucer to prevent rats being attracted. We had that problem but we solved it.

Ours hang at a long pole of about five+ meters at crossbars so that we can take a long pole with a hook at it's tip to reach the feeders and refill them. I can reach it also from the ground. Pot saucers are also placed above each feeder to prevent rain and snow.[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Elmer Keith
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Droll Yankees feeders. I have several that are 15 years+ old.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
www.nature-niche.com offers a variety of good quality feeders, some squirrel proof. Also feeder posts and other accessories. Nice selection of bird seed mixes but shipping 40 lb bags of seed probably not feasible. Located in Midland, MI. 2004 W. Wackerly St. Midland, MI 48640, +1 (989) 423-1477.

I make rain shields from LARGE stainless steel mixing bowls sourced from estate and garage sales. Upside down, drill a No. 10 screw clearance hole in the exact middle of the bottom. Eye screw thru the hole to a threaded rod coupler and a hook screw into the bottom of the coupler. Commercially made shields are available from Nature Niche.

Last edited by Aagaardsporter; 09/29/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 10 foot eave I hang mine under and I put a larger piece of circular thin plywood under it for the larger birds to perch on. The doves really appreciate that.

It's not weatherproof but the one they prefer the most is flat and very large called a tray feeder. 6'x4' 1x2 frame with pet resistant window screen bottom. They ignore the rest of the feeders when it's up. There'll be over a hundred birds on it at once. I hung mine on a fence. Clean it with a jet nozzle on the garden hose from underneath about twice a month.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I feed mostly cracked corn and millet here. Mostly on a flat platform feeder with tiny holes in the pan to let the rain drain off. The birds love it

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

OMG! What a nice pair of Great Tits! shocked

OK, maybe Blue Tits.

I wish they all could be California Gulls.

Meanwhile, I myself don’t feed birds hardly at all, I just look at them for free.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by dale06

That’s exactly correct, most of the milo will not be eaten. I buy mostly black oil sunflowers and mix a few other ingredients.

^^^ This ^^^

Over the years we've learned almost all those commercial wild bird feed 'mixes' are simply a waste of money as the birds only eat the sunflower seed, corn and peanuts and either bypass all the rest (which is simply cheap 'filler') to rot or kick it out on the ground and sprout. We feed black oil sunflower seeds only in feeders, thistle seed in netting 'socks' , suet in suet feeders, whole ear corn (wood peckers, bluejays really like the corn), peanuts in the shell in a special peanut feeder and chunky peanut butter smeared on corn cobs (little Downy woodpeckers love the peanut butter). I also scatter a little shelled corn and sunflower seed around on the ground for the ground feeding birds like doves.

Our feeders aren't hung higher than I can reach so it's no issue to take them down to clean them as needed. We also keep a 1-1/2 gallon shallow bowl of fresh water in the feeder area and add to it and clean it as needed.

The 'cage' type feeders with outside 'perches' are the only ones I've found that usually don't clog-up with seed hulls, bird droppings, etc., and dry out pretty quick after rain. In below freezing temps they all will freeze up when wet (snow/rain) though.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Squirrel Busters are good well made feeders I’ve had some of mine a long time.Good company to deal with after the bears tore mine down they sent the parts to fix them up for free.I pull mine up with a rope and pulley but the bear figured how to get them.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I’m in complete agreement with avoiding the cheap bird food mixes. Yo end up with most of the cheap schitt piling up on the ground and making a mess. I usually just go wi straight sunflower seeds. I’ve also decided to quit waging war on the squirrels. Having adapted, somewhat, to Southern deer hunting, I now own an automatic feeder. I’m thinking that, after deer season, I might put it out in the yard and set it up to feed birds.

Mathew 22: 37-39

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Let's call them by what they really are -
squirrel feeders. 🐿️

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Start with a 10lb hanging chicken feeder. Remove the handle and run a rope from the bottom up through the hole in the top (not shown in the pic). Get a wide, cheap plastic serving bowl (the wider the better), drill a hole in the center, and invert it over the feeder with the rope coming through the hole. .

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've always worried about the spillage attracting mice. Otherwise I would have one.

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lowe’s has a good selection of bird feeders.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

my yard birds, domestic and wild, eat the heck out of the red milo.

Then again, I don't free feed them.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Irving_D
It’s that time of year to start feeding our feathered friends. I’m thinking of buying a couple new ones. Who makes a good weatherproof one, with a easy flow of bird food. I hate having to grab the ladder every time the feeder gets jammed up, or gummed up because of moisture

All Season Feeders here in Bexar County

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

66 members (808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,392 guests, and 741 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,674
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.