T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
They had a week to move things out. Were the expensive boats just left to let insurance buy them new ones?

Moving a boat, especially an over 20 footer is a job all in itself. Get your trailer, load it up and drive it 175 miles, find a place to store it and then travel another 175 miles back to continue what you were up to. Sounds like a day all by itself.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rickt300
They had a week to move things out. Were the expensive boats just left to let insurance buy them new ones?

Moving a boat, especially an over 20 footer is a job all in itself. Get your trailer, load it up and drive it 175 miles, find a place to store it and then travel another 175 miles back to continue what you were up to. Sounds like a day all by itself.

I evacuated with my boat in tow. It never hurts to have an extra 65 gallons of gas at your disposal. Granted, evacuating the central Gulf Coast is easier than evacuating South Florida.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I have spent a lot of time on the Fort Myers area and I recognize many of the places that are pictured. Very sad to see, as much Fort Myers is a beautiful town. Damn thing is headed this way now.

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Browsing around I was looking for a group of guys, I believe out of Louisiana that travel to disasters and help out. Was thinking donation.

PaulBarnard? Any other LA guys familiar?

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Comes with the territory. If you're going to build a house within 5 feet of high water line, your going to lose it on a direct hit. If you build it on stilts, you still lose it. Build it 5 miles back from the waters edge and 20 feet above mean tide and you'll probably be ok, unless a big live oak falls on it. There's a reason why larger vessels often prefer to take their chances offshore.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Limapapa
Comes with the territory. If you're going to build a house within 5 feet of high water line, your going to lose it on a direct hit. If you build it on stilts, you still lose it. Build it 5 miles back from the waters edge and 20 feet above mean tide and you'll probably be ok, unless a big live oak falls on it. There's a reason why larger vessels often prefer to take their chances offshore.

You're good if a tree falls on it. That's windstorm. You're f'cked if rising water gets you...that's flood. If you don't have insurance and live around Democrats, that's FEMA gold!

As far as ships are concerned...they just go somewhere else.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Limapapa
You can build a house that will withstand a direct hit from a cat 5. It’s going to be on concrete piers way up. The structure is going to be made of poured reinforced high strength concrete. Floors , walls , and roof all poured concrete. Windows and doors will be 150mph impact resistant and set in with steel shutters rated over 200mph resistant. Everything structural is built to 200mph+. A family friend built one in the keys. He said the engineer rated the structure to 300mph. Expensive to build !

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Interesting interview this morning with a women that was in a damaged, flooded home in Ft.Myers with her family

After she described the devastation she had seen they asked her why she hadn't evacuated.

She said they did, they left their home in Tampa 100 miles north where the storm was predicted to make landfall.

As far as the boats go, it's much like anything else.
The media is trying hard to show the destruction but if you look closely you'll see boats that are sitting just fine and unharmed.

Some go a short ways offshore and anchor, but ya gotta have enough anchor and enough anchor line to keep it from dragging.

The boat will turn and keep itself pointed into the wind if done properly.

Boats can be secured by 4 point ties, they have to be good pilings driven deep with this purpose in mind. You have to have enough line to allow for the rise and fall and most important is having strong enough cleats on a boat to tie to that won't tear loose.

Suitable cleats aren't standard features, most are custom done with large metal plates or reinforced fiberglass inside a hull to bolt through.

If you have a suitable boat you can run it out into a bay and ride it out powered up. It's not unheard of.

[Linked Image from us.knews.media]

[Linked Image from bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com]

[Linked Image from miamiherald.com]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DMc
Browsing around I was looking for a group of guys, I believe out of Louisiana that travel to disasters and help out. Was thinking donation.

PaulBarnard? Any other LA guys familiar?

I'm sure you'd find them on GoFundMe.com

https://www.gofundme.com/f/cajun-na...-fl?qid=b867b7b200bfb4d7d6304690e1fe5b51

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A vessel usually stands a better chance at sea than on the bank in a hurricane.

99% of them are owned by someone who won't go near the water if it's raining

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by OrangeDiablo
Gunna be a buncha cheap boats for sale soon
You would be supprised the insurance company won't cover their loss. they had time to keep the boats safely but didn't.
expecting money or a new one.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by MegaMehg
Originally Posted by OrangeDiablo
Gunna be a buncha cheap boats for sale soon
You would be supprised the insurance company won't cover their loss. they had time to keep the boats safely but didn't.
expecting money or a new one.

How would you know? Ever moved a 30 footer? Depends on the insurance you have also.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I don’t see any pics

All I see is a link

Another hit n run cut n paster

No courtesy to extract pics and do a batch upload???

Not taking my adblock down. Dont trust links. No sir

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
folks out where you live just don't understand how these things work. laughing

That's it exactly, and you can't really expect them to. The logistics of "moving a boat" just prior to a hurricane are complicated. Where do you move it? 50 miles up the coast? ( Where the storm is predicted to hit?) Key West? Who "moves" it, while your wife is evacuating with the kids? Etc...

The bottom line is that you pays your money and you takes your chances. Ian is (was) not a particularly bad hurricane, but they are all terrible if you are in the wrong place.

It's almost impossible for a hurricane to hit Florida in a "right" place.

A former coworker of mine owned in whole or part several charter boats. I think it was the one she bought off See (of candy fame), that she had on the east coast - SC, IIRC. After dodging two hurricanes in one season, her hired skipper loaded the thing up and headed inland with the third storm on the way.

He didn't stop until Seattle.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
If you want a discounted boat. You can buy one of the totaled ones dirt cheap ...and do the work yourself.

Yepp... https://photos.app.goo.gl/4GKhn2FtjJWJJ4LD2

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by slumlord
I don’t see any pics

All I see is a link

You can see the link with adblock, and ublock origin, running. There are a hundred photos.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Originally Posted by slumlord
I don’t see any pics

All I see is a link

You can see the link with adblock, and ublock origin, running. There are a hundred photos.

I’m good

Just mocking the bobcat meat eating tin shed people.

I’ll open any link. ODB will take a leak right out in th skreet

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I prefer pictures in a picture thread.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,621
Posts18,455,093
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.